Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Gig103
Wiki Link
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
http://iap.americanexpress.com

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 30, 19, 1:07 am
  #421  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: DUB/ORD/SIN
Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 2,703
Basic question... Ex-US only?

Does the IAP programme apply only to itineraries starting in the US only?
Dambus is offline  
Old Jun 30, 19, 1:42 am
  #422  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,230
Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
Does the IAP programme apply only to itineraries starting in the US only?
Yes.
747FC is offline  
Old Jun 30, 19, 7:33 am
  #423  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 10,190
Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
Does the IAP programme apply only to itineraries starting in the US only?
I've also seen results out of e.g. YVR

https://consumer-travel.americanexpr...irline-program

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways."
Zorak is online now  
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:35 pm
  #424  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Has anyone received an IAP discount when booking flights originating from YYZ? I've seen the "select Canadian gateways" language before, but have never seen a list of what this includes.
This benefit would make the US Plat worthwhile for me.

TIA
Jimbo321 is online now  
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:55 pm
  #425  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 10,190
Originally Posted by Jimbo321 View Post
Has anyone received an IAP discount when booking flights originating from YYZ? I've seen the "select Canadian gateways" language before, but have never seen a list of what this includes.
This benefit would make the US Plat worthwhile for me.

TIA
Welcome to FT/happy de-lurking!

I just did a web site test booking YYZ-NRT on random dates and saw IAP fares in the results. Beyond that, I'd double check your preferences vs. the list of participating airlines, and also my impression is that just because an IAP fare could be offered on a route doesn't mean it always is for all dates and connections (or at least that's what a rep told me) so be advised...
Zorak is online now  
Old Jul 2, 19, 2:55 pm
  #426  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Welcome to FT/happy de-lurking!

I just did a web site test booking YYZ-NRT on random dates and saw IAP fares in the results. Beyond that, I'd double check your preferences vs. the list of participating airlines, and also my impression is that just because an IAP fare could be offered on a route doesn't mean it always is for all dates and connections (or at least that's what a rep told me) so be advised...

Thank you, Zorak!
Jimbo321 is online now  
Old Jul 4, 19, 2:56 pm
  #427  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SFO
Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 939
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I spent $6000 total on 2 $3000 SQ J IAP tickets from IAP via AmexTravel.com
I was charged $3000 twice on my AMEX Biz Plat.

I redeemed 300K pay-with-points at ticketing which postedin a couple days as a $3000 statement credit with description "Points for Amex Trvl"

Upon statement closing, I earned 6K points for the 2 $3000 charges and there was no offset/deduction for the $3000 "Points for Amex Trvl"
This was easy to reconcile because I only had a couple of other charges on that statement.

17 days after statement closing, I earned 24K points with description "5 X TLS" in the Point Summary/Detail tab.
This is obviously 6K x 4 = 24K, which makes me whole for the 5x.
Even better because I earned the 5x on the total airline ticket prices without a 5x (or even 1x) offset for the pay-with-points credit.
My theory is that a partial pay-with-points purchase confused the AMEX system to get the 5x on the whole.

Turned out to be a pretty damn good deal.
300K redeemed is really only 165K net redeemed as my 35% rebate posted and I earned the above 30K
The 2 SQ tickets will earn a combined total of 70K Alaska Miles.
So a global basis, I am down only 95K net points/miles for a $3000 savings, or better than $0.03 per point/mile.
Keep in mind that you would have also earned the 30k bonus MR points and the 70k AS miles even if you had not redeemed any points. So ultimately you traded 195k points for $3000, or 1.54 cpm. Which is still a good use IMO, especially if these were flights/times that you wanted.
milypan is online now  
Old Jul 5, 19, 5:25 am
  #428  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,189
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Welcome to FT/happy de-lurking!

I just did a web site test booking YYZ-NRT on random dates and saw IAP fares in the results. Beyond that, I'd double check your preferences vs. the list of participating airlines, and also my impression is that just because an IAP fare could be offered on a route doesn't mean it always is for all dates and connections (or at least that's what a rep told me) so be advised...
You can now book IAP online just saw it in the wiki ... that's a game changer! Hopefully this will soon be all airlines. I hate calling to get quotes when comparing to e.g. consolidator fares.
Zorak likes this.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jul 9, 19, 7:50 am
  #429  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I spent $6000 total on 2 $3000 SQ J IAP tickets from IAP via AmexTravel.com
I was charged $3000 twice on my AMEX Biz Plat.

I redeemed 300K pay-with-points at ticketing which postedin a couple days as a $3000 statement credit with description "Points for Amex Trvl"

Upon statement closing, I earned 6K points for the 2 $3000 charges and there was no offset/deduction for the $3000 "Points for Amex Trvl"
This was easy to reconcile because I only had a couple of other charges on that statement.

17 days after statement closing, I earned 24K points with description "5 X TLS" in the Point Summary/Detail tab.
This is obviously 6K x 4 = 24K, which makes me whole for the 5x.
Even better because I earned the 5x on the total airline ticket prices without a 5x (or even 1x) offset for the pay-with-points credit.
My theory is that a partial pay-with-points purchase confused the AMEX system to get the 5x on the whole.

Turned out to be a pretty damn good deal.
300K redeemed is really only 165K net redeemed as my 35% rebate posted and I earned the above 30K
The 2 SQ tickets will earn a combined total of 70K Alaska Miles.
So a global basis, I am down only 95K net points/miles for a $3000 savings, or better than $0.03 per point/mile.
So my 5x points just posted, but I did not get 5x for the part of the ticket that I used MR points for. I guess it is in the YMMV category.
Valveking is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:13 pm
  #430  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 4,176
Originally Posted by milypan View Post


Keep in mind that you would have also earned the 30k bonus MR points and the 70k AS miles even if you had not redeemed any points. So ultimately you traded 195k points for $3000, or 1.54 cpm. Which is still a good use IMO, especially if these were flights/times that you wanted.


Yeah, my math is off because I only had points to cover half the $6,000 total.

If I had redeemed 600K pay-with-points, that would be 390K after 35% rebate.

Assuming I somehow earned the 30K for 5x on $6000 spend, that would be 360K
(though my theory is I got the 5x on whole due to partial pay-with-points).

So, I'm down 360K MR and earn 70K Alaska, net to 290K down in points/miles to offset $6000 air tickets or about $0.021 per point/mile.

Relative to transferring MR into SQ, paid mid-discount U inventory is widely available vs. largely unavailable award I inventory.
LAX-SIN-LAX is 190K in award I, or 380K for two plus $150.
Just buying the IAP discount tickets a far better deal.

In fact, the only reason to move transferable points into SQ in intending to travel LAX-SIN would be for a peak-days trip when paid fare in high due to fair rules but the planes are so lightly sold that SQ is making I inventory available.
Seems rather rare. Maybe for a one-way too.

Last edited by Colin; Jul 10, 19 at 3:20 pm
Colin is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:21 pm
  #431  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 4,176
Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
So my 5x points just posted, but I did not get 5x for the part of the ticket that I used MR points for. I guess it is in the YMMV category.
To isolate variables, my working theory is that 5x works in-full when both:

1) using the AMEX Biz Plat on the reservation (not AMEX Personal Plat), and
2) using pay-with-points to cover only a portion of the total fare.
Colin is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:32 pm
  #432  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
To isolate variables, my working theory is that 5x works in-full when both:

1) using the AMEX Biz Plat on the reservation (not AMEX Personal Plat), and
2) using pay-with-points to cover only a portion of the total fare.
This is exactly what I did, so unfortunately your theory is only occasionally true. I wish your theory was always true!
Valveking is offline  
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:51 pm
  #433  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 4,176
the only other variable (which I couldn’t imagine was relevant) was that an initial booking had a mistake, i called to 24-hour cancel and redeposit, and then immediately rebooked. perhaps that noise caused my 5x good fortune. of course that would imply some ability to generate points off cancelled bookings.
Colin is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:53 pm
  #434  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: PIT
Posts: 7,241
Originally Posted by suziemay View Post
No IAP offer for Cathay for NYC-KUL flights, interestingly enough. I guess if there are already cheaper options, maybe they just don't bother?
I am not sure how IAP works when a subsidiary airline is involved... HKG-KUL is all Cathay Dragon.
golfingboy is offline  
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:18 pm
  #435  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
I am not sure how IAP works when a subsidiary airline is involved... HKG-KUL is all Cathay Dragon.
It does work, just for not those particular dates with the Qatar offer for some reason or another. In my same post, I indicated an IAP fare I was able to book for EWR-HKG-KUL.
suziemay is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread