Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by blaz
As I have reported above, it is possible to pay the exact fare difference if your Uber Cash balance is not sufficient. I agree it is much more cumbersome to use than before, plus it takes two rides to actually make use of the Amex credits (credits are moved to Uber Cash on first ride, then you use them via Uber Cash on the second ride). I think it should also be possible to simply top up Uber Cash credits in the app, at which point the Amex credits would be applied, but I have not tried it as my Amex credit for this month is already used up.
FWIW, and this is obviously still in the early stages, you're the only person I've seen that says that's possible. It also appears to conflict with your follow-on statement that it takes two rides to use the AMEX credit...?

I don't have the Uber Cash function yet so I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing this circumstance but it certainly sounds like Uber has made it decidedly more difficult to extract value from the AMEX credit without floating Uber an interest free loan (cash balance) that Uber will hold indefinitely (or until you find the need to use Uber again.)

Be interesting to see how this plays out from the AMEX cardholder perception of value. It sounds like an "enhancement" in the way that airlines "enhance" their frequent flyer benefit programs.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:32 pm

FWIW, and this is obviously still in the early stages, you're the only person I've seen that says that's possible. It also appears to conflict with your follow-on statement that it takes two rides to use the AMEX credit...?
For obvious reasons I only went through this once and can't test it again until November. The way it worked was that on the first ride, despite having $15 in Amex credit available, I was charged the full fare. After the ride, the $15 was available as Uber Cash. To use up that balance, I set Uber Cash as my default payment method. Then, when I booked the second ride, it gave me two options:

1. I could top up Uber Cash with enough credits for the ride. I believe the options were $25 for $24.5 with 2% discount, $50 for $48.5 with 3% discount or $100 for $95 with 5% discount. Obviously that would leave me with a balance, that I would then again have to use on the next ride. Not what I wanted.
2. The second options was to pay for the exact difference between my Uber Cash balance ($15) and the fare. No discount would apply in this case. I chose this option and it worked as described.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
For obvious reasons I only went through this once and can't test it again until November. The way it worked was that on the first ride, despite having $15 in Amex credit available, I was charged the full fare. After the ride, the $15 was available as Uber Cash. To use up that balance, I set Uber Cash as my default payment method. Then, when I booked the second ride, it gave me two options:

1. I could top up Uber Cash with enough credits for the ride. I believe the options were $25 for $24.5 with 2% discount, $50 for $48.5 with 3% discount or $100 for $95 with 5% discount. Obviously that would leave me with a balance, that I would then again have to use on the next ride. Not what I wanted.
2. The second options was to pay for the exact difference between my Uber Cash balance ($15) and the fare. No discount would apply in this case. I chose this option and it worked as described.
Thanks for the updated explanation. It's a bit clearer to me now what you were saying in the original post.

From an "article" on techfunnel.com (whatever that is) that I found when googling Uber Cash:

"As tech giant Uber gears up for its IPO in 2019, it is trying fortify its empire and create a complete and wholesome experience for its customers. In lieu of this, the company recently added a stored-value account feature – Uber Cash – to its mobile app-based platform."

Notice that the author states that Uber Cash was added in lieu of Uber creating "a complete and wholesome experience for its customers". Unintentionally funny.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:03 pm

Wow...what a pain - well, its slightly more confusing....just used the $15 credit on two different rides tonight but you have to be extra careful to select the Uber Cash payment method on the first ride. Then you have to be careful to select the Uber Cash payment on the 2nd ride and to select the correct option - otherwise, you'll end up buying another $25 in Uber Cash based on default settings

Pretty obnoxious on Uber's part...
Diplomatico and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:22 am

So all the people who still see Amex benefit & visa local offer balance displayed separately without Uber Cash being diplsayed, is it using Amex Benefit 1st as usual or we are screwed as well?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:27 pm

Hoping someone can help me. I have $35 in Uber Cash. I also have an Amex Offer for my Everyday Card-$10 off next $15 spent with UBER, and in November, I will have another $15 credit AMEX PLATINUM BENEFIT.

What do I need to do specifically to make sure that my Uber rides are charged to my PLATINUM and EVERYDAY cards and NOT my $35 in Uber Cash?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Hoping someone can help me. I have $35 in Uber Cash. I also have an Amex Offer for my Everyday Card-$10 off next $15 spent with UBER, and in November, I will have another $15 credit AMEX PLATINUM BENEFIT.

What do I need to do specifically to make sure that my Uber rides are charged to my PLATINUM and EVERYDAY cards and NOT my $35 in Uber Cash?
I'd also like to know the answer to this. I recently tried to charge an Uber ride solely to my Amex Corporate Green card I have on the account and, despite me being convinced I'd selected that card as the sole payment method, it still used all my Uber cash/credit/whatever it's called before reverting to my card for the remainder of the fare.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milesjjcc
So all the people who still see Amex benefit & visa local offer balance displayed separately without Uber Cash being diplsayed, is it using Amex Benefit 1st as usual or we are screwed as well?
I had a ~$16 Uber eats order a couple of days ago and it deducted first from my Amex credits, so seems to still be working correctly. FWIW I'm on Android and while I see the Uber Cash pooling everything together, if I scroll down I see it broken down into the Amex/Uber GCs/Uber local offers.

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Just make sure that when you order your ride, you toggle the CREDITS bar to off. It will be toggled to on (or, use credits) by default. I feel like that should work, but I don't know 100%.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:51 pm

M
Originally Posted by krazykanuck

Just make sure that when you order your ride, you toggle the CREDITS bar to off. It will be toggled to on (or, use credits) by default. I feel like that should work, but I don't know 100%.
I'm not seeing any toggle bar. All I see is my Plat amex with "Amex Benefits" underneath it. Perhaps there's a credits bar that I'm not currently seeing (because I don't currently have any credits)?

Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
With Uber Cash, it seems I should be able to reload the balance once per month and then use the accumulated balance on months I actually take Uber rides.
Looking at the screenshot posted by krazykanuck it appears that the American Express credit still expires at the end of October, and won't be carried over as Uber Cash if it isn't spent?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I'm not seeing any toggle bar. All I see is my Plat amex with "Amex Benefits" underneath it. Perhaps there's a credits bar that I'm not currently seeing (because I don't currently have any credits)?
If you were to book a ride, the credits would show up at the bottom of the screen where you select which type of car you want. If you tap on the credits, it leads you to a screen where you can slide a dot along a bar to turn the credits feature on/off. Just tried it with a dummy booking since I didn't know how to do this either.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
FYI it's probably worth reading this TPG post regarding the changes to the credits and Uber Cash: https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-credit-uber-cash/
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:50 pm

FYI it's probably worth reading this TPG post regarding the changes to the credits and Uber Cash: https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-credit-uber-cash/
Beat me to it. I was just getting ready to post the link to the same article.

Relevant text:

Here’s how to take advantage this month (of your AMEX credit), and in the future:
  1. Select Uber Cash as your payment method
  2. Request a ride
  3. If your ride cost exceeds your balance, click “refill options” when prompted
  4. Add credit using a linked payment method, or select “just cover this trip”
(Bolded text is my own addition, added for clarification.)
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:53 pm

What a joke. So if the amount of Amex credit you have in your account is even 1 cent short of your ride total, you have to buy a minimum of $25 of Uber cash to be able to use your Amex credit? Everyone needs to be complaining to Amex about this. It hugely devalues this benefit.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
What a joke. So if the amount of Amex credit you have in your account is even 1 cent short of your ride total, you have to buy a minimum of $25 of Uber cash to be able to use your Amex credit? Everyone needs to be complaining to Amex about this. It hugely devalues this benefit.
You're focusing on the wrong section. Earlier in the article it says:

If your overall balance isn’t high enough to cover the entire ride, you’ll be prompted to add credits to your account, or you can scroll down and select a card to cover just the remaining amount.
lax01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.