Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsmj
Is it currently a good offer and a move in the right direction? Sure it is but I'll reserve final merits as TBD
There is no such thing as final merits (until the card is discontinued). As mentioned, the Citi TYP Prestige has had benefits changed several times so far, and it's not clear whether even the latest change is the "final" one. So unless the Chase Reserve has a short life, it'd expect multiple changes over its lifetime too, with no one ever knowing which is the "final" change.

There's a thread with a silly title in another forum, with a title that starts "now that the dust has settled" and it discusses things which have changed a lot since the thread was started. So the dust hadn't settled after all when that thread was started, and the dust never stays settled for long in the miles/points world.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by techoin
I doubt..reserve card is getting interest because of sign up bonus..to extract more value out of it requires more spend..not sure why everyone thinks it will be gutted?..if at all reserve provided united club access or $100 visadiscountair infinite benefit that would have made that case...I bet there will be very few who will keep it long term

on the contrary citi prestige is gutted multiple times because it had pretty significant non sustainable benefits like earlier international companion program & flight points, now unlimited fourth night free along with AA club access, golf etc.. with $250 travel credit
I don't expect significant benefit reduction for Reserve. Prestige has been the biggest culprit starting with the companion program -- which was nothing great to begin with.

With Reserve, the benefits are OK at best and I have been very surprised at how much almost every blogger has been pushing this product. Anyone who is into optimizing CC for points/miles/benefits, probably the best combo is Amex Platinum Business (FHR/Centurion/Gogo), Prestige (3x on flights/hotels, excellent warranty and travel insurance, Citi Rewind, Priority Pass), and City National Crystal (Primary car rental coverage, $250 reimbursement of travel credit per user, $100 visa airfare discount for 2-5 domestic tickets, 12 GoGo passes per AU, Infinite Hotel Program). Throw in EDP for grocery spending and gas and if you are high spender or MSer, the PGR and BGR are also awesome.

Besides 3x points on dining (1x extra point than Prestige), I don't know what else Reserve offers. It is a great card if you Sapphire Prefered as your primary card as it is only $55 more and you also get PP plus a few of the Infinite benefits, or if you love Ultimate Rewards and don't want anything to do with Thankyou points. So, there is clearly a room for this card. But it is not as good as bloggers make it out to be.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jediwho
With Reserve, the benefits are OK at best and I have been very surprised at how much almost every blogger has been pushing this product.

Besides 3x points on dining (1x extra point than Prestige), I don't know what else Reserve offers. It is a great card if you Sapphire Prefered as your primary card as it is only $55 more and you also get PP plus a few of the Infinite benefits, or if you love Ultimate Rewards and don't want anything to do with Thankyou points. So, there is clearly a room for this card. But it is not as good as bloggers make it out to be.
The bloggers are busting a nut over it because of the *cough*affiliate commissions*cough*

The biggest reason I got the CSR was for the bonus, and second, it will be my only premium Chase card to transfer to partners. Citi Thank You points aren't super useful to me because they have such bizarre partners with as far as I've found, limited value. Beyond Etihad and 1.6cpp redemptions on AA (which is going away) I haven't found much.

I find it kind of funny that this thread continues to roll on. There some people who have posted over and over that Chase and UR is clearly the best, people who say Citi and TYP are the best, etc. It all depends on your travel patterns and where you live. Also I feel like I'm one of the only people that likes having healthy balances in all programs because each one has its sweet spots and unique benefits.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by kdm31091
This. The Reserve will be downgraded and/or gutted within a matter of time. They just want to lure in the customer base first.
And when do you expect that downgrade to take place?

Originally Posted by tmiw
I bet the first thing that'll happen is that the $300 travel credit becomes a $300 airline incidental credit.
I seriously doubt that because then more people would likely cancel in year 2. Chase's only hope of a sizeable % of people retaining the card in year 2 onwards is those people will see that the $450 fee is offset by the $300 credit, so the net fee is relatively not much of an expense given the Priority Pass benefit.

Originally Posted by mia
Chase needs to be able to sell merchants on the merits of this form of advertising. Citi tried, and hasn't done well. Why, specifically, do you think Chase would succeed?
]
The 2-year extra warranty is provided by the card issuer, and has nothing to do with the merchant, so I fail to see your point. In fact, why would Best Buy or other merchants' ever advertise an extra warranty when they are busy trying to sell customers the Square Trade Warranty for which they get a commission?

Last edited by mia; Sep 5, 2016 at 4:44 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:19 am

I doubt..reserve card is getting interest because of sign up bonus..to extract more value out of it requires more spend..not sure why everyone thinks it will be gutted?..if at all reserve provided united club access or $100 visadiscountair infinite benefit that would have made that case...I bet there will be very few who will keep it long term

on the contrary citi prestige is gutted multiple times because it had pretty significant non sustainable benefits like earlier international companion program & flight points, now unlimited fourth night free along with AA club access, golf etc.. with $250 travel credit
The greatest % of those applying for the Chase Sapphire Reserve are "the millenniums". Chase, perhaps inadvertently, but what now appears to be "pure genius", has attracted a new set of people to the premium card category -- those that realize that the $450 AF is EASILY offset by the $300 travel credit, and the $150 net annual fee is a relatively small price to pay to be in the premium crowd (sitting in airport lounges). New techies, graduates with a few year's experience, etc., drawing middle-class salaries, suddenly feel they have "upgraded status" - getting benefits (such as lounge access) that was previously mainly available to those who had plenty of money to spare. Chase is thereby attracting a whole new generation and Amex is losing that ship.

Chase already drew a huge following with the Chase Sapphire Preferred (with the 50K point bonus and no annual fee in Year 1) [a strategy that clearly worked], and is now topping it off with an even better deal (for only $55 more over the Chase Sapphire Preferred), folk can get even more benefits to move to the "Top Tier" of premium cards.

Totally brilliant in my opinion!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
The bloggers are busting a nut over it because of the *cough*affiliate commissions*cough*

The biggest reason I got the CSR was for the bonus, and second, it will be my only premium Chase card to transfer to partners. Citi Thank You points aren't super useful to me because they have such bizarre partners with as far as I've found, limited value. Beyond Etihad and 1.6cpp redemptions on AA (which is going away) I haven't found much.

I find it kind of funny that this thread continues to roll on. There some people who have posted over and over that Chase and UR is clearly the best, people who say Citi and TYP are the best, etc. It all depends on your travel patterns and where you live. Also I feel like I'm one of the only people that likes having healthy balances in all programs because each one has its sweet spots and unique benefits.
Same here WRT balances in multiple programs. Usually, I get best bang for the buck i.e. spend the fewest amounts of miles/points for airline and hotels because of healthy balances across multiple programs.

Regarding Chase, my two main cards are Freedom and INK. The sign up bonus on CSR is too tough to pass. I would have applied but pretty much know that they will reject my application because of 5/24 rule.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:30 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guest Previliges -- so much superior to that of AMEX and Citi:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ounge-benefit/
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by runb4fun
The only PP membership that stand out is the one from Prestige.
In what way? - the Prestige only allows two guests with PP, with CSR it is unlimited.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
The 2-year extra warranty is provided by the card issuer, and has nothing to do with the merchant, so I fail to see your point. ?
I was responding to your assertion that it would be easy for Chase to mimic American Express' Offers.

... Chase, perhaps inadvertently, but what now appears to be "pure genius", has attracted a new set of people to the premium card category -- those that realize that the $450 AF is EASILY offset by the $300 travel credit, and the $150 net annual fee is a relatively small price to pay to be in the premium crowd (sitting in airport lounges).
Chase has done nothing that American Express and Citi have not already done. They have done less, they have done it crudely, and they have left profit dollars on the table. In 2014 Chase tested a Sapphire Preferred offer with a $149 annual fee. This is their attempt to implement it. They have taken Sapphire Preferred, added one extra point per dollar in the identical categories, a Priority Pass membership, and changed the name.

... Prestige only allows two guests with PP, with CSR it is unlimited.
Which Priority Pass lounges do you use, and what annual dollar value does unlimited guests have for you? I think this will benefit some people, but I would like to read specifics.

Last edited by mia; Sep 5, 2016 at 5:05 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
i canceled my amex plat after 8 years and switched over the the CSR.

i really wasn't even putting any spend on the plat other than big items that i wanted their superior customer service on. over the years the associated benefits of the plat got worse and worse.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I doubt..reserve card is getting interest because of sign up bonus..to extract more value out of it requires more spend..
Unless someone says that for $55 more, I receive an extra 50K UR points.

not sure why everyone thinks it will be gutted?..if at all reserve provided united club access or $100 visadiscountair infinite benefit that would have made that case...I bet there will be very few who will keep it long term
Totally agree ...I'm not giving up my Club card, so I would not want to keep a second Chase card at $150 AF ($450-$300 travel credit) long term unless I really needed 3 UR points per dollar. I would probably downgrade to CSP after a year or two, because I need MR points as well and need to put some spend there as well. Those who value UR points more than me may have a different strategy to meet their needs. I often read posts where UR points are best gotten with Freedom's 5X categories, for example.

Last edited by eajusa; Sep 5, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Chase has done nothing that American Express and Citi have not already done. They have done less, they have done it crudely, and they have left profit dollars on the table. In 2014 Chase tested a Sapphire Preferred offer with a $149 annual fee. This is their attempt to implement it. They have taken Sapphire Preferred, added one extra point per dollar in the identical categories, a Priority Pass membership, and changed the name.
You forgot the 100K bonus and the $300 travel reimbursement and the.... In any case, if it was merely "old wine in a new bottle" do you think there would actually be such a run on the card --- so much so that Chase has even run out of their metal CSR cards?

Chase is handing out huge bonus points and making cards more attractive and betting that they will hold on to a substantial % of card holders that will be profitable to them in the long run. Both the CSP, and now the CSR are proving to be spectacular successes. I just read an article yesterday that Chase has overtaken Amex in the total number of cards issued (all types of cards). So, respectfully, you may not think Chase did something different, but the results prove otherwise.

Originally Posted by mia
Which Priority Pass lounges do you use, and what annual dollar value does unlimited guests have for you? I think this will benefit some people, but I would like to read specifics.
I have not used Priority Pass before because I could not afford it. Now that the CSR will just cost me $150 (after $300 travel reimbursment), I can sit in lounges just like the rich guys (how about that!). And I will be travelling to Taipei and Manila with my family and all of us will be able to use the lounges at ZILCH, NADA cost. How's that! The CSR is EXACTLY what I was looking for in a card (I only wish it had +2 years extended warranty and ShopRunner so I can instantly dump my Citi and Amex card -- who likes carrying extra cards, anyway?)

Last edited by edealinfo12345; Sep 5, 2016 at 7:51 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by richiezc
i canceled my amex plat after 8 years and switched over the the CSR.
You did the right thing! AMEX takes its customers for granted. How else can you explain their 1x point on their premier Platinum card, when Chase offers 3X on Travel and Dining on CSR.

Heck, Amex even offers more points on some their no-fee cards than on their Platinum card (a slap in the face for their fee paying customers). AMEX thinks that "we were great in the past" will take then into the future......unfortunately, they do not see the writing on the wall.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have not used Priority Pass before because I could not afford it. Now that the CSR will just cost me $150 (after $300 travel reimbursment), I can sit in lounges just like the rich guys (how about that!). And I will be travelling to Taipei and Manila with my family and all of us will be able to use it at ZILCH, NADA cost.
Priority Pass... just like the rich guys. lol. Enjoy on that trip. Some PP lounges are nice, some suck.

You did the right thing! AMEX takes its customers for granted. How else can you explain their 1x point on their premier Platinum card, when Chase offers 3X on Travel and Dining on CSR.
You're comparing a card that has existed for a couple decades with one that has existed for ~3 weeks. Lets see how the CSR evolves over time, especially since we've seen Chase slowly take away benefits on the Freedom and CSP over the past couple years.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Sep 5, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eajusa
I often read posts where UR points are best gotten with Freedom's 5X categories, for example.
Freedom's 5x and Ink's 5x are the best way to earn UR points IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.