Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
As I stated upthread, Amex Offers reduces the effective annual fee. The offers do not require particular travel preferences/requirements...the offers are everyday spends such as Lowe's, ATT, CPK, etc. I have been able to save about $200 YTD...so, my effective annual fee YTD is $50 on the Plat.
amex offers isn't specific to plat...

no-AF cards like everyday can get them too (maybe different offers), so it's not a gigantic plus
(yeah yeah, still useful when comparing CSR/Citi Prestige to Plat)
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
As I stated upthread, Amex Offers reduces the effective annual fee. The offers do not require particular travel preferences/requirements...the offers are everyday spends such as Lowe's, ATT, CPK, etc. I have been able to save about $200 YTD...so, my effective annual fee YTD is $50 on the Plat.
While this is true, there has been only one offer for $50 that I used on my Plat that wasn't on any of my other cards, including my free Hilton Amex. So there isn't a huge savings over Amex Everyday, for example. I'm really torn on what to do with mine, I'm hoping I get a good retention offer. I love the Centurion lounges but they're not worth $250/yr for me, and that's the only benefit I use that I don't get elsewhere.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
amex offers isn't specific to plat...

no-AF cards like everyday can get them too (maybe different offers), so it's not a gigantic plus
(yeah yeah, still useful when comparing CSR/Citi Prestige to Plat)
Emphasis added.

Yep, it's not an exclusive perk to the Plat but that doesn't diminished the fact that one can reduce the effective net fee.

Originally Posted by penner42
While this is true, there has been only one offer for $50 that I used on my Plat that wasn't on any of my other cards, including my free Hilton Amex. So there isn't a huge savings over Amex Everyday, for example. I'm really torn on what to do with mine, I'm hoping I get a good retention offer. I love the Centurion lounges but they're not worth $250/yr for me, and that's the only benefit I use that I don't get elsewhere.
Right, but this specific thread is comparing one card vs another card. Comparing one card vs another, and accounting for other cards becomes a highly individualized biased discussion based on one's travel needs and habits.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
Yes you're correct. However the Amex version is has much, much better benefits than the Chase version.

For Amex only the Plat + Centurion card can use this benefit.
With Chase I believe any Visa Signature card has access to this.
This is different. The Visa Signature Hotel Collection offers a $25 F&B credit rather than the $100 spa or F&B credit you typically get with FHR, and is available to all Visa Signature cards.

The CSR, however, has access to two programs, both of which offer a $100 credit similar to FHR: the Visa Infinite Hotel Collection and the Chase-specific Luxury Hotel Collection.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:50 pm

I'd love to know experiences with CSR primary car coverage. I know if I was involved in a rental car collision I would NOT be assured they will ACTUALLY cover up to $75,000.00

This is one benefit I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on any card for primary. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Return protection is simple with AMex. I've never used Chase.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jason77
I'd love to know experiences with CSR primary car coverage. I know if I was involved in a rental car collision I would NOT be assured they will ACTUALLY cover up to $75,000.00

This is one benefit I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on any card for primary. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Return protection is simple with AMex. I've never used Chase.
there are a lot of data points about how credit card companies won't pay out loss-of-use

Credit card companies might cover loss-of-use, but demand records from car rental agency to prove loss(fleet usage). Agency refuses to provide data (proprietary data/trade secret).

No proof, loss-of-use portion of claim denied, you're on the hook

If you already have car insurance with your personal car, maybe less risk? Either way, get a dash cam when you drive?

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 2, 2016 at 5:22 pm
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
I guess it wouldn't be long for Chase to copy this as it is very easy to do so.

Chase needs to be able to sell merchants on the merits of this form of advertising. Citi tried, and hasn't done well. Why, specifically, do you think Chase would succeed?

And now it is all over shadowed with the Chase sapphire Reserve card
Marketing 101: Reserve is a brand new card with a me too sign up bonus. Chase doesn't seem to have much confidence in it, they priced it 40% less than American Express. If I were a Chase stockholder I would want the resignation of the person who made that decision.

With even Citi's basic no annual fee credit cards, there is ("+2 year warranty"),...
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-warranty.html
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Marketing 101: Reserve is a brand new card with a me too sign up bonus. Chase doesn't seem to have much confidence in it, they priced it 40% less than American Express. If I were a Chase stockholder I would want the resignation of the person who made that decision.
Your point here should signal to people not to conclude that Chase has dealt Amex Plat the death blow. I seem to remember not to long ago some were saying the same about Citi's Prestige card. At the time, you cautioned people to wait and see how long before Citi would begin to downgrade that card's benefits. It didn't take long for your words to become reality.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
Your point here should signal to people not to conclude that Chase has dealt Amex Plat the death blow. I seem to remember not to long ago some were saying the same about Citi's Prestige card. At the time, you cautioned people to wait and see how long before Citi would begin to downgrade that card's benefits. It didn't take long for your words to become reality.
This. The Reserve will be downgraded and/or gutted within a matter of time. They just want to lure in the customer base first.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kdm31091
This. The Reserve will be downgraded and/or gutted within a matter of time. They just want to lure in the customer base first.
I bet the first thing that'll happen is that the $300 travel credit becomes a $300 airline incidental credit.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:16 pm

[QUOTE=mia;27164672]Chase needs to be able to sell merchants on the merits of this form of advertising. Citi tried, and hasn't done well. Why, specifically, do you think Chase would succeed?

Mia I think you have a valid point here as to Chase's confidence
Instead of trend setting they settled a little short
It remains to be seen how long the benefits will either last or be nerfed

Is it currently a good offer and a move in the right direction? Sure it is but I'll reserve final merits as TBD
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw
I bet the first thing that'll happen is that the $300 travel credit becomes a $300 airline incidental credit.
I doubt..reserve card is getting interest because of sign up bonus..to extract more value out of it requires more spend..not sure why everyone thinks it will be gutted?..if at all reserve provided united club access or $100 visadiscountair infinite benefit that would have made that case...I bet there will be very few who will keep it long term

on the contrary citi prestige is gutted multiple times because it had pretty significant non sustainable benefits like earlier international companion program & flight points, now unlimited fourth night free along with AA club access, golf etc.. with $250 travel credit
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by techoin
I doubt..reserve card is getting interest because of sign up bonus..to extract more value out of it requires more spend..not sure why everyone thinks it will be gutted?
I'd imagine Chase is relying on a significant percentage of people not taking full advantage in order to make the card profitable, which is harder to accomplish when using the card for stuff like Uber and freeway tolls causes the credit to be applied. Not to mention that it's possible to make a net profit from the travel credit alone if you cancel the card before the second AF hits.

At least with the other cards people (in theory) have to use the card for baggage fees, upgrades, etc. for the credit to be applied, which makes it harder for people to take advantage.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
IF they valued their time more, to support your point, they wouldn't be lurking in Frequent Flyer forums trying to squeeze evry ounce out of their benefits!
You can make the same argument for watching TV or movie. Why do people waste 30 hours a week in front of TV, which practically gives them nothing. At least, squeezing that extra point has some monetary benefit. In the end, this is a hobby for most people on FT more than anything. We all love to travel and get the best bang for the buck. Since we all have 24 hours in a day, a simple math would suggest that the time we spent on FT is coming from some other recreational activity.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:34 am

nobody in their right mind expects CSR to stay as it was. nobody in their right mind expected Prestige to not get nerfed. But the fact remains that there are more banks in $450 game now. The VI card from City is still going strong.

You can shuffle through these cards and get 90% of the benefit Plat offers. And in the meantime, you also get signup bonus. I personally planned to shuffle through various Amex Plat for Amex lounge and signup bonus but seems like amex is tightening up on those who're chasing various plat signup bonus.

also, you don't need premium card to transfer MR. You do need premium card to transfer UR. It makes sense for many CSP holders to pay at least $55 extra and roll with CSR. You also need premium card to transfer TYP. Since my Prestige AF is practially $100, I might as well keep Prestige instead of Premier. Plus my Prestige AF is completely negated through rent pay on Access More.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.