Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Amex vs. Chase

Like a lot of previous poster mentioned, the only thing the Chase Sapphire Reserve have going for it is basically: 100,000 UR's. American Express Platinum offers much more in terms of benefits. Citi Thank You Premier offers 3 TYP's on all travel, including gas, and 2 TYP's on dinning/entertainment for much more less of an annual fee.

It seems like the occasional bank/cc "psychology" announcing/introducing another "new" card and bonus usually attracts a lot of attention instantly. It will be interesting to see how the Chase (CSR) offer unfolds over the next couple of months/or year as I suspect "boredom" will set in for most people who jump on the "CSR" band wagon. They will be wavering back and forth between cards.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I'll apply for CSR just for the 100K but don't see any compelling reason to even use it after the $4,000 spend in 90 days to obtain the 100K bonus.

For air tickets, I'll use the Citi Prestige. Trip Delay protection kicks in after a 3 hours delay instead CSR 6 hours.
For car rental outside US, I'll use Citi Prestige as coverage is $100K USD vs. Chase $75K USD.
For car rental inside US, Chase Sapphire Preferred as primary with annual fee $95.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
AMEX Plat might be overrated but at least you are getting instant status with travel partners. Can't say the same for CSR. Without the sign up bonus, what's appealing about CSR? There's really no unique feature exclusive to CSR.

AMEX Plat has Centurion Lounge access.
Citi Prestige has 4th hotel free.

What does CSR offer that another card, whether it be one of the two competitors above or a cheaper anuual fee card, does not already offer?

Chase had an opportunity to implement the "Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit" but choose not to. Instead, they just copied the competition instead of offering something truly unique.
Agreed.
I would also add that of the 3 cards, the Reserve has the weakest roadside assistance coverage. The one thing in the Reserves favor is that the customer service rates better than Citi according to JD Powers rankings.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:02 am

How will Amex counter Reserve? How did they counter Prestige? By sitting it out and waiting for Prestige devaluation. Reserve is too good atm and it is bound to get nerfed.

If you can get reserve, you want it at least for a year. 300x2 travel credit plus 100k UR is flat out unmatched.

Then you look at the cards that you can combine Reserve with....and bam for 90% of the folks who can get some of the other UR earning cards, Reserve has won over Platinum.

With 1.5 redemption, your earning rate when redeemed towards travel is at worst:
I. FU earns 2.25% on all purchases
II. Ink and Freedom 5x earning get you 7.5%
III. dining and travel is at worst 4.5%

A lot of folks in this hobby have CSP. Now, you can think about replacing CSP with CSR and you would be paying at least $55 more AF. Then you wanna turn around and ask yourself "now do I want to pay at least $250 for some redundant benefits and then some more".

You can also isolate Plat benefits and see how much they are worth it to you.
I. Hilton Gold IMO isn't worth much. Don't get me wrong, it is a great status but there are two cards that you can churn to get the benefit and Hilton often seems to run status match as well. So, you want to look at other benefits.
II. If you live near or don't frequent to Centurion lounge airports then that benefit isn't all that good to you.
III. I would also argue that PP all together isn't all that hot anymore. There are so many cards out there that give you PP now. The only PP membership that stand out is the one from Prestige.

speaking of Prestige, even after devaluation, I personally will rank it over Platinum. Why?
I. I effectively pay $100 AF.
II. I stack it with couple of other TYP earning cards.

something that I don't see talked about often is - do you need Platinum to transfer MR to partners? Nope. Do you need CSP, CSR, or Ink+ to transfer UR? Do you need Premier or Prestige to transfer MR? Yeap. This is a HUGE selling factor for CSP/CSR/Ink+ and Premier/Prestige IMO. I'll keep Prestige pretty much because I need a premium card and it effectively costs $5 more than Premier but provides better benefits.

Last but not least, why are we all arguing? There is like 50 different Platinum cards. Just get one every year and enjoy life.

P.S. wrote it early morning so stuff isn't very organized and might be a little hard to read.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I'll apply for CSR just for the 100K but don't see any compelling reason to even use it after the $4,000 spend in 90 days to obtain the 100K bonus.

For air tickets, I'll use the Citi Prestige. Trip Delay protection kicks in after a 3 hours delay instead CSR 6 hours.
For car rental outside US, I'll use Citi Prestige as coverage is $100K USD vs. Chase $75K USD.
For car rental inside US, Chase Sapphire Preferred as primary with annual fee $95.
Why not use the CSR instead of the CSP, and earn an extra UR point per dollar spent? It never makes sense to use the CSP over the CSR.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by livencali
Like a lot of previous poster mentioned, the only thing the Chase Sapphire Reserve have going for it is basically: 100,000 UR's. American Express Platinum offers much more in terms of benefits. Citi Thank You Premier offers 3 TYP's on all travel, including gas, and 2 TYP's on dinning/entertainment for much more less of an annual fee.

It seems like the occasional bank/cc "psychology" announcing/introducing another "new" card and bonus usually attracts a lot of attention instantly. It will be interesting to see how the Chase (CSR) offer unfolds over the next couple of months/or year as I suspect "boredom" will set in for most people who jump on the "CSR" band wagon. They will be wavering back and forth between cards.
It really is an apples and oranges comparison due to Net Annual fee.... basically since the average person will be traveling at some point in a year, the $300 credit makes the card in reality $150..

Yes, the AM PL has the $200 air fare credit where you can be creative of course, but in reality the CSR card really is only $150 IMO... so not really fair to compare the benefits between the 2 on an even playing field...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:23 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

To each their own but for me, and I think a lot of others, the higher value / better transfer partners of UR over TYP far outweigh the marginal improvements to insurance packages offered by Citi. If you are saving up for SQ or AF miles then it doesn't matter, but if you don't have a specific plan in mind for the miles, UR offers a far more useful set of partners than TYP.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope you did that already. The "apply now" button on the 100K Reserve offer is dead at this moment. It's unclear whether it will return with 100k.

EDITED TO ADD:

It came back to life a few hours later. Still 100k for now.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 1, 2016 at 7:05 pm Reason: status update
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:23 am

Um 3x food? That's huge for me.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:55 am

Amex plat = effective annual fee is $250
CSR = effective annual fee is $150
Advantage: CSR

Earning structure comparison:
Amex plat = 1x everything
CSR = 3x dining, travel, 1x everything else

Air travel credit:
Amex plat = $200 and a bit more difficult to use
CSR = $300 and very easy to use.

Hotel, car rental status:
Amex plat = SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive, more?
CSR = none.
Advantage: Amex plat

Lounge access:
Amex plat = priority pass, guests are $26/pp, Delta Skyclub with Delta flight, Centurion Lounge
CSR = priority pass with 2 free guests

Rental car insurance:
Amex plat = extra cost
CSR = free up to $75000

Fine Resorts/luxury Hotels:
IMO, Amex version gives better benefits and is more exclusive than the Chase version.

Make your own decision.
I value Centurion Lounge access the most out of all the benefits.
Plus Amex customer service is much better than Chase, especially when you need to do a chargeback.
I will probably keep both cards.

Last edited by Travelchurner; Sep 2, 2016 at 11:21 am
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:07 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
Fine Resorts/luxury Hotels:
Haven't used it yet, nor explored in detail, but the CSR offers a "Luxury Hotel Collection" that appears to be similar to FHR. I looked in Vegas, a popular FHR destination, and the Chase offering appeared to have about the same benefits at most of the same properties plus some additional ones not in FHR.

That said FHR may still have incremental value; if nothing else in my experience staff at many FHR properties seem to be thoroughly familiar with the FHR program while they are not always as familiar with other similar programs (like Visa Signature Hotels), so the FHR experience can be more seamless. But Chase offers something.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Haven't used it yet, nor explored in detail, but the CSR offers a "Luxury Hotel Collection" that appears to be similar to FHR. I looked in Vegas, a popular FHR destination, and the Chase offering appeared to have about the same benefits at most of the same properties plus some additional ones not in FHR.

That said FHR may still have incremental value; if nothing else in my experience staff at many FHR properties seem to be thoroughly familiar with the FHR program while they are not always as familiar with other similar programs (like Visa Signature Hotels), so the FHR experience can be more seamless. But Chase offers something.
Yes you're correct. However the Amex version is has much, much better benefits than the Chase version.

For Amex only the Plat + Centurion card can use this benefit.
With Chase I believe any Visa Signature card has access to this.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:17 am

Hotel, car rental status:
Amex plat = SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, National Emerald, more?
CSR = none.
CSR give National Emerald Executive. Still Advantage Amex Plat.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by penner42
CSR give National Emerald Executive. Still Advantage Amex Plat.
Fixed, thanks
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:41 am

Amex plat = effective annual fee is $250
CSR = effective annual fee is $150
As I stated upthread, Amex Offers reduces the effective annual fee. The offers do not require particular travel preferences/requirements...the offers are everyday spends such as Lowe's, ATT, CPK, etc. I have been able to save about $200 YTD...so, my effective annual fee YTD is $50 on the Plat.

I will probably keep both cards.
Same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.