Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will Amex counter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Priority Pass... just like the rich guys. lol.
That's the same Priority Pass that's offered on the Amex Platinum and Citi Prestige cards.....so your point is? If it wasn't worth it for the rich guys (as you suggest, and which I also assume is your assumption of their target audience) why would City Prestige and Amex Platinum offer it in the first place?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
That's the same Priority Pass that's offered on the Amex Platinum and Citi Prestige cards.....so your point is? If it wasn't worth it for the rich guys (as you suggest, and which I also assume is your assumption of their target audience) why would City Prestige and Amex Platinum offer it in the first place?
Most of us aren't rich. lol.

IMO, truly well off people don't care about free admittance to 2nd tier airport lounges and will just go to a decently nice airport restaurant and pay for real food/drinks and be done with it.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
The greatest % of those applying for the Chase Sapphire Reserve are "the millenniums". Chase, perhaps inadvertently, but what now appears to be "pure genius", has attracted a new set of people to the premium card category -- those that realize that the $450 AF is EASILY offset by the $300 travel credit, and the $150 net annual fee is a relatively small price to pay to be in the premium crowd (sitting in airport lounges). New techies, graduates with a few year's experience, etc., drawing middle-class salaries, suddenly feel they have "upgraded status" - getting benefits (such as lounge access) that was previously mainly available to those who had plenty of money to spare. Chase is thereby attracting a whole new generation and Amex is losing that ship.
I think you mean "standing", as with the thousands of extra priority pass customers there ain't no "sitting" in any lounge!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I would like to see AMEX change the travel credit from $200 fee credit to just a straight travel credit on anything.

This would match both Citi Prestige and CSR and would seemingly be an easy shift. It would reduce complexity on our end and also remove the need to pre-select a carrier and jump through a few hoops to get a gift card or other similar to cash item.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Duke787
I would like to see AMEX change the travel credit from $200 fee credit to just a straight travel credit on anything.

This would match both Citi Prestige and CSR and would seemingly be an easy shift. It would reduce complexity on our end and also remove the need to pre-select a carrier and jump through a few hoops to get a gift card or other similar to cash item.
It seems likely that when Amex introduced the credit they expected some / many people not to get the full $200 of value. (Keep in mind that until a few years back, people paid the full $450 a year for the Amex Platinum without any $200 fee credit.)

Whereas Citi and Chase, perhaps to get people especially excited about signing up for an expensive new card, have offered much more generous terms on their credits, to the point that for many customers, it would be just about impossible to avoid getting the credits, making it a much more "real" cost to the banks. I wouldn't be surprised if the terms on those credits are tightened up over time to something more like what Amex offers.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Whereas Citi and Chase, perhaps to get people especially excited about signing up for an expensive new card, have offered much more generous terms on their credits, to the point that for many customers, it would be just about impossible to avoid getting the credits, making it a much more "real" cost to the banks. I wouldn't be surprised if the terms on those credits are tightened up over time to something more like what Amex offers.
I don't think the credit terms on the Prestige or the CSR will tighten up. The CSR is already inferior to the Plat, and next July, the Prestige will be too.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It seems likely that when Amex introduced the credit they expected some / many people not to get the full $200 of value. (Keep in mind that until a few years back, people paid the full $450 a year for the Amex Platinum without any $200 fee credit.)

Originally Posted by Troopers
I don't think the credit terms on the Prestige or the CSR will tighten up. The CSR is already inferior to the Plat, and next July, the Prestige will be too.
These are both fair points. I finally pulled the trigger on the PRG --> Plat upgrade offer and will have to see for myself how Plat compares with Prestige (no CSR for me right now due to being at 6/24).

Right now it's Prestige that actually is the king of my wallet (effective $200 AF plus over $1000 in savings on hotel stays this year and close to that booked for next year plus PP access with free guests has been useful this year and of course 3x airfare, 2x dining and entertainment is pretty solid with a sizeable SQ balance to transfer to) so now that I have Plat, I'm very curious to see whether it keeps a place in my wallet long-term even with the upcoming Prestige changes.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Right now it's Prestige that actually is the king of my wallet (effective $200 AF plus over $1000 in savings on hotel stays this year and close to that booked for next year plus PP access with free guests has been useful this year and of course 3x airfare, 2x dining and entertainment is pretty solid with a sizeable SQ balance to transfer to) so now that I have Plat, I'm very curious to see whether it keeps a place in my wallet long-term even with the upcoming Prestige changes.
I suspect your Plat will get minimal use.

I have the CSR, Plat and the Prestige and usage in that order. The CSR gets most of my spending. The Plat is used on FHR, Amex offers, Ticketmasters, etc...primarily in scenarios where there is cash benefits. The Prestige is used only for the 4th night benefit...I may drop it next May when my AF hits.

Last edited by Troopers; Sep 7, 2016 at 10:31 am
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus

AMEX initially offered the $200 to make up for all the lounge access they lost over the years if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jags86
AMEX initially offered the $200 to make up for all the lounge access they lost over the years if I recall correctly.
Yes, IIRC it was when they lost Continental lounge access in the UA merger, and part of the selling point of the $200 credit was "you can buy one-time lounge access passes, or a lounge membership, and we will give you $200 off." Of course Flyertalkers quickly found other ways to take advantage of that credit.

Between losing CO lounges and the later loss of AA lounge access, the Amex Plat became less valuable, but other things have replaced those benefits -- Amex Plat didn't used to give any PP access, and Centurion lounges in the US didn't exist back in the CO/AA access days either. (And while we're documenting history, there was a spell there for a while with US Airways lounge access too.)

You can debate whether AA/CO(/US) access was better or worse than Centurion/PP access, and it will vary depending on everyone's individual travel patterns, but it's hardly clear that the Plat has been on an exclusively downward trajectory. Not to mention there have been other changes over time, like the recent addition of Hilton Gold status.

So I think it is still fair to say that the Plat once cost a "real" $450 for a certain package of benefits, and now costs a "real" $250 for a different, but probably roughly similar overall package of benefits, though some cardmembers likely pay more than $250 due to not getting the full $200 credit value. But I think you could also argue that the Citi and Chase $450 cards offer a less comprehensive set of benefits than the Plat, which may be part of the reason why they choose to offer easier-to-use credits.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:52 am

...but it's hardly clear that the Plat has been on an exclusively downward trajectory. Not to mention there have been other changes over time, like the recent addition of Hilton Gold status.

So I think it is still fair to say that the Plat once cost a "real" $450 for a certain package of benefits, and now costs a "real" $250 for a different, but probably roughly similar overall package of benefits, though some cardmembers likely pay more than $250 due to not getting the full $200 credit value. But I think you could also argue that the Citi and Chase $450 cards offer a less comprehensive set of benefits than the Plat, which may be part of the reason why they choose to offer easier-to-use credits.
+1. Stated very well.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

IMO, truly well off people don't care about free admittance to 2nd tier airport lounges and will just go to a decently nice airport restaurant and pay for real food/drinks and be done with it.
Not true. http://www.stanforddaily.com/2010/04...-after-google/
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:07 pm

I do not agree with this at all. Most folks who are wealthy got that way by pinching pennies, cutting coupons, and saving a hefty portion of their salary. Most wealth in the USA is NOT inherited. I can speak from having lived both ways. I always saved and invested 30% to 40% of my income. The fact is, once you become wealthy, old frugal habits are very hard to break. I still churn cards, try to buy only stuff that is on sale and am very happy to get free access to lounges and eat and drink just fair food and booze. I am proud to wear a $10 watch, drive a 12 year old car, and invest the rest in tax free bonds or other ways to grow wealth. Don't get me wrong I like to live life to the fullest extent possible. I travel constantly having filled up 4 passports. I just don't like to pay for hotels and airfare if I don't have to. Believe me, there are tons of wealthy folks who feel the same way.

Last edited by bigbuy; Sep 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes, IIRC it was when they lost Continental lounge access in the UA merger, and part of the selling point of the $200 credit was "you can buy one-time lounge access passes, or a lounge membership, and we will give you $200 off." Of course Flyertalkers quickly found other ways to take advantage of that credit.

Between losing CO lounges and the later loss of AA lounge access, the Amex Plat became less valuable, but other things have replaced those benefits -- Amex Plat didn't used to give any PP access, and Centurion lounges in the US didn't exist back in the CO/AA access days either. (And while we're documenting history, there was a spell there for a while with US Airways lounge access too.)

You can debate whether AA/CO(/US) access was better or worse than Centurion/PP access, and it will vary depending on everyone's individual travel patterns, but it's hardly clear that the Plat has been on an exclusively downward trajectory. Not to mention there have been other changes over time, like the recent addition of Hilton Gold status.

+1, great summary! i dont think amex plat wants to attract customers that the csr is attracting. amex wants customers that will use benefits such as amex fhr.

the only downside, as others have mentioned, is there is limited benefit in using plat for everyday spend, such as dining. i use my plat for expensive and durable goods for the loss/refund protection. if amex gave 2x points and free travel insurance i would use it for all purchases.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:56 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Econ1
+1, great summary! i dont think amex plat wants to attract customers that the csr is attracting. amex wants customers that will use benefits such as amex fhr.

the only downside, as others have mentioned, is there is limited benefit in using plat for everyday spend, such as dining. i use my plat for expensive and durable goods for the loss/refund protection. if amex gave 2x points and free travel insurance i would use it for all purchases.
I'm pretty sure if you have a Plat, you can use any other Amex card under the same name and get the Plat-level purchase protection benefits. So I have typically used my SPG Amex for such purchases. The only time I ever charge anything to my Plat is if I have an Amex Offer that shows up only on my Platinum card, and for my $200 in Delta GCs each year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.