Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Amex card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by aceofcards
1. I spend at least $180,000-200,000 on my cards combined.
2. I don't spend anything on gas (electric vehicle). Minimal grocery spending (occasional restaurants). Use solely points to travel, so minimal airfare expenses.
3. I use AA mostly because I have a ton of AA miles (or I'll use its partners like JAL to get to Asia), I usually only fly once or twice a year and in First.
4. I'm flexible with staying at any hotel pretty much.

I was thinking of getting the SPG mainly because I know that I want to do a Disneyworld trip sometime this year or next year and I can stay at the Swan/Dolphin with those points. But I want to wait until the bonus goes back up to 30K which will probably be sometime this summer.

It's a bit difficult sorting through all the different Amex cards and figuring out when is the best time to apply to make sure I'm receiving the highest sign up offer, especially since the bonuses are once per lifetime or whatever.

Do people pay the annual fees for the Platinum the second year or do they end up canceling?
Did a Dolphin redemption last year, five nights plus fifty K alaska miles for seventy K starpoints. Awesome redemptions! You'll love it, for sure. Get the SPG personal and biz cards at thirty K each, make your spend and you've got your seventy K!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
SPG has the flexibility of being a hotel card and a transfer partner to many FF programs. Might be your best choice.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:33 am

I am also looking to open my first AMEX, but have a different question...

I always here how AMEX has the best purchase protection. Is this the same throughout their entire portfolio or are their cards that have better protection?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NJTeacher
...purchase protection. Is this the same throughout their entire portfolio
The Platinum Card includes coverage of lost items, other cards cover only stolen or damaged. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rotection.html
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:30 am
mia

Moderator action

Question about Blue Cash rewards has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...screpancy.html
Old May 3, 2015, 3:22 pm

First Amex card

So I've never got an amex card before and I'm wondering which one I should go for
- Personal Gold 50k but it's once in lifetime and if I should wait for 75-100K
- Biz Gold 50k or 75k - I'm not sure how hard it'll be to get approved for biz card and if I should try for 50k or 75k....
- SPG card - have heard it's a good card
- Delta gold for 50k miles - would that conflict with Premier Gold above?
- Fidelity 2%
- Don't think there's a good Platinum offer right now is there without being targeted

Don't think I'll find a 100k target offer without having an amex card....
Old May 3, 2015, 3:57 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ambivalent
- Fidelity 2%
This card is issued by Bank of America, and has no bearing on this decision. It is discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...solidated.html

We cannot give you good advice on the other cards, because we do not know your travel objectives or spending pattern.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
I think the Amex PRG is a solid card, especially with the 50k points offer - I dont know if you will see 75k in the near future for personal. That side, the card is changing soon (new categories etc) so there is a chance that if you get it now, you may be able to get another bonus (probably not, though).
Old May 5, 2015, 7:17 am

yeah I'm wondering the same, on what to apply for and at what speed - is it possible to get the PRG, BRG, Pers Plat & Biz Plat all in one go aka for one HP?

I mean I know it's possible if you apply for all these charge cards (plus an AMEX CC) that the HPs will merge with AMEX not thinking they are dupe applications/auto-denying em. however how should one proceed as a strategy?

do you apply for the offers you want the most first, or would the order not really have a bearing since they're kinda all similar products? I know there are many variables like cred history, history with amex, amount of cred you already have with AMEX & other banks, history of your "business" (getting thru recon etc.), amount of INQs from given CB...

but still would appreciate some advice from some of the AMEX experts here for a plan of attack. I figure applyin for all of em at once wont hurt my chances with any one of em so might as well roll the dice. unless it will be a prob and AMEX might deny me for all of em? meeting min spend isnt gonna be an issue either if I do get some of the juicy offers going.

P.S. unlike the OP, I do have a few AMEX cards, like the SPG, OBC, SimplyCash etc so have some history established with AMEX but no MR earning or any charge cards.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ambivalent
- Don't think there's a good Platinum offer right now is there without being targeted
Morgan Stanley and Mercedes Benz Platinums have 50K offers standard. There's a recent thread on the Ameriprise Platinum.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:21 pm

Which Amex cards to start with

Hi flyers, need some advice on which are the best Amex cards for my wife to start with. Her only cards are:
- Discover - opened Sep 2013
- Freedom - Oct 2015
She is an authorized cardholder on my PRG and other cards.

She got three targeted offers from Amex:
- Green 25K
- Business PRG 75K
- Platinum 100K

While she could apply for all three, I am worried it would be biting too much as her credit history is small and she is a homemaker. Her Transunion FICO is 784.
I also want her to apply for Sapphire Preferred and Ink Plus next year, which should be OK as she'll be under 5 accounts in 2 yrs even with these three.

So my thinking is to apply for Green & Business PRG now as "Upgrade to Platinum" offers should keep coming, although probably not for 100K. Where as if she took the Platinum now she would likely not receive any offers for a (personal) PRG or any other lower-level cards, right?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:33 pm

Take advantage of the 100k offer. It's not even a question. The Green card is just about worthless.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Take the Platinum 100k option before the end of the year. Get her $200 airline credit for this year, followed by the $200 in January for 2016. That makes her annual fee effectively $50.

Neil
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:10 pm

i'd jump on the platinum too... you can sometimes reproduce the 75k offer on the business gold card, even if you aren't targeted, but aside from some blips here and there, it's way harder to get the 100k offer.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:49 am

Thanks everyone, we'll do the Platinum first then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.