Search

First Amex card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:36 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
What about a tiny addendum to your request

Originally Posted by CyberNomad
Just got a rejection from Citi HHonors card. Their reason: too many recent credit inquiries. My understanding is that is a short-term effect, so that's good, because it means I'll probably be able to get it in a few months.

Again this proves that Chase is using its own internal scoring system of some kind, and it's a system that favors me somehow.
Assuming that you send your request/application for the new credit card to Amex using the post and not an E-Mail I just would like to mention an idea I have!

What´s about copying the last three monthly statements of your other credit card which state the credit limit as well as the punctual pyment. @:-)

So Amex gets more information about the on-time payment. Just cross out the last digits of your card for security purposes.

Should work as an additional "sign of quality". But it´s just a friendly suggestion not a standard policy of anyone involved.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gum
What´s about copying the last three monthly statements of your other credit card which state the credit limit as well as the punctual pyment. @:-)
This information is already included in a credit report.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:21 am

Sounds to me like you should stop applying for credit cards for a while. Those hard credit checks take a long while to clear. See if you can pay off your Chase cards at well below 50% balance for a few months, don't apply for anything new, and your score should recover nicely. And seriously, get a copy of your credit report. It's important to know WHY it's so low, as it might be a mistake or, worse, fraud. In any case you'll learn something.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:34 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Thanks for updating!

Originally Posted by mia
This information is already included in a credit report.
Another advantage of American credit management compared with the German financial institutions
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

I guess "third time is the charm". On my third application in the past four five months, I just got an email that it's approved! Amex Delta Skymiles!

I'm very happy to get it. Amex will find out that I pay absolutely on time every time. Longer term, I would like to upgrade to a Platinum and then Centurion. I'm not that excited about the Delta aspect of this card, to be honest, because I don't have much need to fly Delta. However my understanding is this is a good Amex to apply for and apparently it worked in my case. The Amex Hilton card would actually be more useful to me. Maybe later...

I also just got a US Airways Dividends MC, $10k limit. I don't think my actual credit score number has changed dramatically but somehow I'm being viewed differently. Maybe Chase giving me $25k in credit is making the others more willing to make offers.

Whatever it is I'm happy about it!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by CyberNomad
I guess "third time is the charm". On my third application in the past four five months, I just got an email that it's approved! Amex Delta Skymiles!

I'm very happy to get it. Amex will find out that I pay absolutely on time every time. Longer term, I would like to upgrade to a Platinum and then Centurion. I'm not that excited about the Delta aspect of this card, to be honest, because I don't have much need to fly Delta. However my understanding is this is a good Amex to apply for and apparently it worked in my case. The Amex Hilton card would actually be more useful to me. Maybe later...

I also just got a US Airways Dividends MC, $10k limit. I don't think my actual credit score number has changed dramatically but somehow I'm being viewed differently. Maybe Chase giving me $25k in credit is making the others more willing to make offers.

Whatever it is I'm happy about it!
Curious that you got a Delta branded card when you really have no need or interest to fly Delta... I would get a year or two under your belt with the Amex that you just got approval for before applying for Platinum. This will definitely help out in Amex's eyes.

Congratulations though!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TexasTea
Curious that you got a Delta branded card when you really have no need or interest to fly Delta...
The main reason is, the rumor is it's the easiest Amex to get approved for. True or not? I don't know but I did manage to get it, despite getting turned down for Citi HHonors at about the same time, and having a credit score in the mid-600s. I also will get a bunch of points from Delta and will have occasion to fly them sometimes.

I would get a year or two under your belt with the Amex that you just got approval for before applying for Platinum. This will definitely help out in Amex's eyes.
Unfortunately I really could use a business platinum card ASAP, so I can issue them to staff members here. I will probably do that early next year.

Congratulations though!
Thank you!

This probably also means I can get a mortgage.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
At least in theory, the business card is issued in the name of the business. You haven't said anything about your business, but if the business credit is good even if yours isn't, you might be able to get it.

Keep in mind though that the additional Plat cards are pricey (I think for the biz they might be $300/yr), and Centurion are very pricey ($2500 now?).
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtop43
Keep in mind though that .... Centurion are very pricey ($2500 now?).
Yes, and that's the reason to get them for the staff. Think of it: no other place they work will provide a benefit like that.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Premier
From what I understand, you can't "upgrade" a Delta Amex card to a "Regular Platinum" Amex --- only to a "Delta Platinum" amex. I'm not sure how the benefits differ, but the reason for this is that the Delta card is a credit card, and the Regular Amex is technically a "charge" card.

I had this issue with my Blue a long time ago. Started out with a blue when I got out of college, and Amex wouldn't let me upgrade it to a Platinum. Had to get an entirely new platinum card. Still have that blue --- it sits in a drawer in my house gathering dust.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
...the business card is issued in the name of the business. You haven't said anything about your business, but if the business credit is good even if yours isn't, you might be able to get it.
Business cards are based on the individual's credit record. Corporate cards are based on the company's financials. I don't believe Corporate cards are offered to small businesses.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by biggysmall2
From what I understand, you can't "upgrade" a Delta Amex card to a "Regular Platinum" Amex --- only to a "Delta Platinum" amex. I'm not sure how the benefits differ, but the reason for this is that the Delta card is a credit card, and the Regular Amex is technically a "charge" card.
Do you think I can call them and get them to upgrade it? Delta Platinum is fine with me and I think it's worth the extra annual fee.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:41 pm

I don't see where a Delta Platinum Card would be of any benefit to you since the regular Delta Card is not. You may need to do a bit more research.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

For anyone wondering about what kind of credit you need to get Amex, I thought I wouldn't qualify but I did. Here's the credit summary they sent when they approved me:

As you can see, not so great, but they approved it!

All my problems are in the past, and I do expect big improvements over the next 12 months, but I'm still surprised they approved it as they did.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

I just got my card. They gave me a very conservative $1,000 credit limit. And that's after 3 applications it took to get accepted at all! Obviously they are very cautious about who they accept, and I'm just at the cut-off point.

I'm happy to have the card, but a bit unhappy at the glittery gold aspect of it. It looks really 80s. I guess Amex itself is a bit dated these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.