Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Amex card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by gum
My suggestion would be to start with a low or no fee American Express Card.

Although not available in Germany if I would be you I would just start with a yearly fee free product like the prepaid card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...paidCard-Large

or just begin with some of the cash-back or blue cards!

Or another entry level card which allows you to collect Membership rewards points:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...yday-LearnMore

Besides the calculation that Mia mentioned you should just have a look with which speed the Membership rewards points are accumulated and which card has a full Membership Rewards programmme and which doesn't have.

(In Germany there are e.g. to different Membership Reward collection opportunities. One with nearly the double the speed of the base programme)

If you use the card regularly I am convinced that you soon will get upselling offers to another, higher card colour.

But these two cards are a good instrument for you to have a look if you really like amex and test how their service is.

Hope this helps.
Thanks very much!
I actually have the Serve card already (I got it about a year ago)- hopefully having had it for a while will increase my chances this time.
Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:58 pm

Oh goodness!
I haven't seen all these responses till now (and even accidentally posted overlapping questions a few days later)- thank you for all the response.
Originally Posted by ddallas
Well your accounts are now six months older, you got the delinquency removed, and you likely will have fewer inquiries in the last 12 months time period than you did last time they pulled a report if you have not applied for anything in the last 6 months. I think the personal PRG is one of their easiest cards to get. You might want to try for it again. Usually the personal charge cards are their easiest cards to get. Do you have any idea what your credit score is on Experian? That's the report that AMEX looks at. You might want to look at your Experian report to make sure it is clean. You might want to look in the creditpulls section on creditboards.com to see what kind of scores get approved for the various AMEX cards.
I didn't know about creditboards.com- looks like a great resource- thanks! I can't get the Experian score (without paying for it), but the report itself is clean, and the TU score (according to Barclays) is 768.
I think I want to wait to see if I can get at least a 50k PRG before trying for it.
Originally Posted by godsquare
IMO, AMEX Business CC is far easier in approval compare to Chase Business CC.
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
This has been my experience as well. Good luck with your application!
Thanks a lot! Good to know!
In the end, in preparation for an upcoming AOR, I applied for a Citi Business AA card (so that I can apply for another Citi card during the AOR), and was approved with 2K CL! I just had to call in because the application hadn't processed well- didn't have to do anything besides spell my name, confirm my DOB and hold for fifteen minutes.
Thanks all!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by ForeignDude
Oh goodness!
I haven't seen all these responses till now (and even accidentally posted overlapping questions a few days later)- thank you for all the response.
I have now combined your threads into a single discussion to allow everyone to see the full context. To avoid missing other replies click HERE to Subscribe to the thread. You will then be notified each time the thread is update.

The usual way to do this is to click: Thread Tools > Subscribe to this Thread
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:00 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by ForeignDude
Thanks very much!
I actually have the Serve card already (I got it about a year ago)- hopefully having had it for a while will increase my chances this time.
Thanks!
It's a pleasure.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:28 pm

What's a good first AMEX card?

Hi guys, I started collecting miles just over a year ago and have Citi, Barclay, and Chase cards. I've only gotten denied for a chase business card since I had just started my relationship with them and had too many new credit lines open with high limits and they wanted to see how I use them before approving me.

Anyways, I was thinking of getting my first AMEX card mainly because I want to start buying AMEX GCs with an AMEX account so that I can also do the yearly shipping option.

What would you guys recommend for a first AMEX card? Should I go for the old amex blue?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Can you clarify what you mean by
"Anyways, I was thinking of getting my first AMEX card mainly because I want to start buying AMEX GCs with an AMEX account so that I can also do the yearly shipping option. "

Whats your best spending categorys?

The new Gold card has a lot of benefits, if your company does a lot on shipping (you get 3x)
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:11 am
mia

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Can you clarify...
I believe aceofcards is referring to a flat rate giftcard shipping program, as discussed here, rather than to shipping merchandise for a business:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ry-2015-a.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ping-plan.html

Last edited by mia; Apr 12, 2015 at 11:06 am
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:02 am

Sorry, yes, I was referring to the Premium Shipping Plan for $99/year, didn't know what it was called.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:56 pm

Location: DTW Metro Detroit AKA The Motor City AKA Motown AKA BANKRUPT
Programs: Amex Plat, Amex Delta Reserve, Visa Black, Delta Plat FF, SPG Gold, HH Gold, TR Diamond
My first Amex was a Plat when I was 18 and have been with them ever since.
It really depends.
Do you travel a lot if so there is the Delta card as well as various hotel cards.
Amex does a great job of helping you pick a card to best suit your needs on their website.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by aceofcards
What would you guys recommend for a first AMEX card?
"First" doesn't really help to narrow it down. Different people choose different AmEx cards as their first for various reasons. It's your needs/wants that will help to narrow down the options. What are you specifically looking for from the card?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
The answer depends on these factors:

1) How much do you spend per year on your credit cards?
2) How much do you spend on gas, groceries, and airfare?
3) Which airlines do you most often fly?
4) Which hotel chains do you most often stay at?
5) Do you typically fly in coach or first class?

Your best first card may be the Platinum, the Everyday, the Premier Rewards Gold, the Starwood Preferred Guest, the Gold Delta, or the Blue Cash Preferred depending on your specific situation.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
The answer depends on these factors:

1) How much do you spend per year on your credit cards?
2) How much do you spend on gas, groceries, and airfare?
3) Which airlines do you most often fly?
4) Which hotel chains do you most often stay at?
5) Do you typically fly in coach or first class?

Your best first card may be the Platinum, the Everyday, the Premier Rewards Gold, the Starwood Preferred Guest, the Gold Delta, or the Blue Cash Preferred depending on your specific situation.
1. I spend at least $180,000-200,000 on my cards combined.
2. I don't spend anything on gas (electric vehicle). Minimal grocery spending (occasional restaurants). Use solely points to travel, so minimal airfare expenses.
3. I use AA mostly because I have a ton of AA miles (or I'll use its partners like JAL to get to Asia), I usually only fly once or twice a year and in First.
4. I'm flexible with staying at any hotel pretty much.

I was thinking of getting the SPG mainly because I know that I want to do a Disneyworld trip sometime this year or next year and I can stay at the Swan/Dolphin with those points. But I want to wait until the bonus goes back up to 30K which will probably be sometime this summer.

It's a bit difficult sorting through all the different Amex cards and figuring out when is the best time to apply to make sure I'm receiving the highest sign up offer, especially since the bonuses are once per lifetime or whatever.

Do people pay the annual fees for the Platinum the second year or do they end up canceling?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:06 am
mia

Originally Posted by aceofcards
1. I spend at least $180,000-200,000 on my cards combined.
Are you including manufactured spending in this total? I think the intent of the question is to determine the categories into which your real spending falls to see if there is a card with a corresponding bonus category.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by mia
Are you including manufactured spending in this total? I think the intent of the question is to determine the categories into which your real spending falls to see if there is a card with a corresponding bonus category.
My mistake, my actual spending is much much less as I'm a college student. So any points I would earn from bonus categories resulting from normal spend would be minimal.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:19 am
mia

Be aware, if you are not already, that you are likely to have problems with American Express if your spending level is disproportionate to your verifiable income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.