Wiki Posts
Search

Blue Cash Calculation Discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Blue Cash Calculation Discrepancy

Forgive me, I've tried searching through the boards to see if something had been discussed, no dedicated threads but it may have been buried in a long thread about MS.

My program year for my Blue Cash < Card ends this month, and I wanted to see how my rewards were doing. I downloaded all charges from December 2013 though today and I calculated just over $800 in rewards applying the proper rates based on the $6500 threshold and spending categories. After adding up each summary in the paper statement, AMEX has only credited me with $463. I even took out fuel purchased at Costco & Grocery Store fuel stations.

Has anybody do the calculations and see something similar? AMEX categorizes the vendor, why can't they call out the earn rate to make this easy?

Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Suggest you read the Wikipost at the top of this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...amex-blue.html

Note that:

1. Rewards are posted one month after the statement in which they were earned.

2. The list of eligible Drug Stores is short.

3. American Express does not classify merchants. They are classified by their acquirer, the company which processes their card transactions. You can see how a specific transaction was classified by viewing transactions online and clicking + symbol to view the transaction details.

4. American Express did have a problem correctly crediting Supermarket transactions. This seems to have affected various cards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2013-a.html
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:18 am

Does the Blue cash every day card not code VGC purchase as 1% cash back? Bought one at WM and I don't even see the 1% cash back after my statement hit?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:28 am
mia

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
... I don't even see the 1% cash back after my statement hit?
Do you see cash back from other purchases made during the same billing cycle?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:23 pm

Mia, Thanks for the help, I assume like everyone else my reward post one statement later than the typical card. Do you have to have a minimum amount to redeem with Amex Blue. $20 minimum?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:27 pm
mia

$20 minimum?
Don't know. Which card do you have?

• Blue Cash
  • Blue Cash Everyday
  • Blue Cash Preferred
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mia
Don't know. Which card do you have?

• Blue Cash
  • Blue Cash Everyday
  • Blue Cash Preferred
It's not preferred, it's the one that gives you 3% at gas, 2% at grocery. Probably the every day. It's sock drawer'd for now obviously now that I've churned the initial sign up.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:13 am
mia

Probably the every day.
Blue Cash Reward Dollars on Eligible Purchases
Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases and is earned in the form of Blue Cash Reward Dollars (reward dollars). You can redeem reward dollars for statement credits in increments of 25 whenever your total available reward dollar balance is 25 or more. The number of reward dollars you earn is based on a percentage of the dollar amount of your eligible purchases during each billing period. From time to time we may at our option offer you other ways to redeem reward dollars, such as for gift cards or merchandise. The minimum redemption is 25 reward dollars. Cash back cannot be used to pay your Minimum Payment Due.
https://www304.americanexpress.com/p.../#cardbenefits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.