Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Premier Rewards Gold new benefits and higher annual fee, 6.1.2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: italdesign
Summary of Premier Rewards Gold costs and benefits, effective 6.1.2015:

Cost
$195 Annual fee
$100 Reduced by Airline Fee Reimbursement
$ 95 Net

Benefits
No foreign transaction fee

Travel Protection:
Auto rental CDW (Secondary)
Roadside Assistance
Baggage Insurance (lost, stolen or damaged; not coverage for delays)
Travel Accident Insurance (Life insurance, excludes award redemptions)

Shopping Protection:
Return Protection ($300 maximum per item, 90 days)
Purchase Protection (damage or theft, 90 days; no coverage for lost)
Extended Warranty (Up to one extra year; 5 years maximum)

Rewards
3x Airfare
2x Gasoline
2x Dining
2x Groceries (no cap)
1x General

Compare with American Everyday Preferred

Cost
$ 95 Annual fee

Non-Benefit
2.7% Foreign transaction fee

Travel Protection:
Auto rental CDW (Secondary)
Roadside Assistance
Baggage Insurance (lost, stolen or damaged; not coverage for delays)
Travel Accident Insurance (Life insurance, excludes award redemptions)

Shopping Protection:
Return Protection ($300 maximum per item, 90 days)
Purchase Protection (damage or theft, 90 days; no coverage for lost)
Extended Warranty (Up to one extra year, 5 years maximum)

Rewards (assuming 30 transactions per month)
4.5x Groceries (capped at $6,000 per year)
3.0x Gasoline
1.5x General

Compare with Chase Sapphire Preferred

Cost
$ 95 Annual fee

Benefits

Travel Protection
Auto Rental CDW (Primary)
Lost or Delayed Luggage Reimbursement (covers award tickets)
Trip Cancellation or Interruption Insurance (covers award tickets)
Travel Accident Insurance (Life insurance, $500,000)

Shopping Protection
Return Protection ($500 maximum per item, 90 days)
Purchase Protection (damage or theft, $500 per item, 120 days; no coverage for lost
Price Protection ($500 per item, 90 days)
Extended Warranty (Up to one extra year, 3 years maximum)

Rewards
2x Travel
2x Dining

Compare with Citi Premier, effective 4.19.2015

Cost
$ 95 Annual fee

Benefits

Rewards
3x Travel
3x Gasoline
2x Dining
2x Entertainment
1x General
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wonderbret
While I totally understand/agree with the sentiment, the discussion is on Flyertalk. A $100 airline reimbursement is about as "gimme" as you can get and I don't think its misleading given the audience.
It's not any airline; it's only on an airline from Amex's list. I know that I am not the only person here who never flys any of those arlines. And if you don't fly those airlines, it's certainly not worth its cash value.

You can't compare it to a credit like Citi has, where it counts for anything (including airfare) on any airline you want. The restrictive nature of the credit reduces its value significantly.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
This is a marketing blunder.

It's counterproductive to announce a price increase, from $175 to $195, when you are actually lowering your price, from $175 to $95. I understand why they want to offer the Airline Fee Credit rather than an outright fee reduction, but increasing the top line fee is a distraction. They should have left the annual fee alone, and implemented an $80 credit.

What is the benefit to announcing these changes three months before they become effective? I suppose they want to use them as a retention tool to reduce cancellations in March, April and May, and to counteract Citi's forthcoming Premier card campaign, but how difficult or expensive could it be to implement at least some of these changes immediately?
You may be true. However, I am happy to see AMEX is attempting to come back.

Unlike UA (Chase's partner) copying DL (AMEX's partner), AMEX at least show some thoughts for retention (Platinum > PRG), as well as distinguishing itself from being a copycat.

At the least - PRG's insurance is far superior than CSP.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Sound like some great changes for the PRG and could be a serious contender of going back in my wallet. To bad the changes don't go into effect until June 1 though. Could've used that $100 credit in May for DL baggage fees and maybe a pass at the lounge.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
PRG's insurance is far superior than CSP.
I think this is probably not true. Chase and Citi include travel insurance benefits which American Express does not offer with any USA-issued card. I hope someone will update the Benefits sections of the Wikipost to summarize the insurance features.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

That gift card sounds like a big loophole, are you sure they won't say it doesn't apply to gift card purchases later?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's not any airline; it's only on an airline from Amex's list. I know that I am not the only person here who never flys any of those arlines. And if you don't fly those airlines, it's certainly not worth its cash value.

You can't compare it to a credit like Citi has, where it counts for anything (including airfare) on any airline you want. The restrictive nature of the credit reduces its value significantly.
To each their own, but for people who fly those airlines its perfectly comparable. I live in Georgia so its nearly impossible to not fly Delta. CSP has its own partners. I would use it if I lived in a different state. Both are great cards.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:32 pm
mia

Originally Posted by smith80678
...sure they won't say it doesn't apply to gift card purchases later?
If the reimbursement benefit is the same as for the Platinum Card, the terms will explicitly exclude gift cards, but in practice they will reimburse them. Scroll back to post 27, and read any one of the linked discussions.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:52 pm

This couldn't be further from the truth. The CSP has some best-in-class insurances, many of which Amex cards don't have.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Can you explain how their insurance is superior?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:37 pm
mia

Moderator action

Some posts have been deleted. Flyertalk is not a debating society in which the discussion continues until your opponent concedes. Once you have made your point, please do not make it again or confront another member who has not acknowledged your perspective.

Here are the rules:

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
I think this is probably not true. Chase and Citi include travel insurance benefits which American Express does not offer with any USA-issued card.
You mean charge or credit?

Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
This couldn't be further from the truth. The CSP has some best-in-class insurances, many of which Amex cards don't have.
Originally Posted by eajusa
Can you explain how their insurance is superior?
Insurance is not solely on coverage.

I concede that CSP's insurance coverage sounds way much better.

Unless CSP, AMEX does its claim process in-house. For those people who have experience before, you know that AMEX's claim process is quite simple and easy.

It is good to have the coverage. It will be the best if the coverage can be put into proper use.

This is why I rate PRG over CSP.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:40 am
mia

You mean charge or credit?
Both.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
If they want me to pick up another charge card, then Amex needs to offer me a nice sign-up bonus to usher in their enhanced PGR card.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
So . . . if you currently have Amex Plat and have used your $200 airline reimbursement for 2015, can you downgrade to PRG after June 1 and pick up another $100 reimbursement?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:48 pm
mia

Originally Posted by JeffMIA
...can you downgrade to PRG after June 1 and pick up another $100 reimbursement?
Probably, but you will be pay $195 for the opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.