Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
I think we now have enough data to conclude that American Express is not likely to adopt any radical access restrictions, but rather they will address crowding through expanding the lounges. Seattle has already been enlarged, Dallas will be moved to a larger space, and Miami will be enlarged. This makes more sense for their business model than turning away Platinum cardholders or their guests.

Centurion lounges is a feature that Chase and Citi apparently do not have the budget to match, and I would expect to see gradual expansion of the network as favorably priced spaces becomes available.
Chase and Citi have the funds to do so if they want, but the will to do so ain’t there. Both these banks don’t seem to really want to own and operate a travel service business. Sort of amusing if going back into the history of what these banks used to do.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Fine Hotels & Resorts. Sometimes a single stay can justify the annual fee. I'd keep the card even if FH&R were the only benefit.
Same here. Depending on where you're traveling, something as simple as the free breakfast for my wife and I can cover the annual fee itself over the course of a long trip. Let alone the free night(s), resort credits and upgrades. I'm not an AAA or Citi member though so I don't know if the other deals people get from there include those kinds of options as well.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
What other reason to sign up is there other than the lounges? With Amex's nonexistant travel insurance products and zero bonus spend… what other possible reason is there to have the Plat other than as a shiny metal status symbol.

The Centurion lounges are the only reason I even have the Plat (both business and personal)… otherwise Citi has a much stronger product with the Prestige and the CSR has made a much bigger splash with the CSR. What both of those lack are premium lounges.
You just answered your own question right there.

So many people value having it as a status symbol vs having access to a lounge the one time a year they might travel. Recently at a Sky Club, a passenger handed over one of the metal Plats for entry. The Sky Club agent said, "Good thing I get to handle these here at work since I'll never be able to get one of my own," like it was some sort of ultra exclusive product. Let's just say she loved my Cent.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:50 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MDJennings

So many people value having it as a status symbol vs having access to a lounge the one time a year they might travel. Recently at a Sky Club, a passenger handed over one of the metal Plats for entry. The Sky Club agent said, "Good thing I get to handle these here at work since I'll never be able to get one of my own," like it was some sort of ultra exclusive product. Let's just say she loved my Cent.
Let's see:
Emergency Medical
$200 Airline Fees reimbursed per year
Uber benefit
Global entry reimbursed
Membership rewards with 5x points for airline miles
They have good customer service
and, oh yeah,
They didn't screw me over when I went through a divorce and lower my credit limit after asking me questions on the phone for 30 minutes like Chase did. (I was and am current on all my credit cards. And the income pre-divorce was 90% mine, so a 50% decrease in credit limit on Chase's part was BS IMO.)
Their interest rates on other products are a lot better than Citi.
So, since they are good to me, I'm happy to pay the Amex Platinum Fee and keep it my wallet.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by stc
Let's see:
Emergency Medical
Uber benefit

Global entry reimbursed
and, oh yeah,
They didn't screw me over when I went through a divorce and lower my credit limit after asking me questions on the phone for 30 minutes like Chase did. (I was and am current on all my credit cards. And the income pre-divorce was 90% mine, so a 50% decrease in credit limit on Chase's part was BS IMO.)
So, since they are good to me, I'm happy to pay the Amex Platinum Fee and keep it my wallet.
Those two are the easiest ones to use IMO and that's $400 right off the top. Also nice that - if food delivery is your thing - the credits will apply to Uber Eats as well.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by MDJennings

How can the plat be a status symbol if anyone can qualify for it?

How can any card be a status symbol, really? Maybe if you carry around more than 75k in cash... but that's impractical.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kb9522

How can any card be a status symbol, really? Maybe if you carry around more than 75k in cash... but that's impractical.
It's not just about who can qualify for a card; it's also about the image of those who get and use a card.

Paying with a card with an image of having a very high membership fee and being mainly for those with relatively substantial disposable income to spend on travel? That is considered a status symbol of sorts.

We all might not consider it to be a status symbol, but some consider it to be so. I've had some people rather surprised that I would have (i.e., have and/or pay to have) an Amex Platinum -- under the implied presumption that it's an expensive card which isn't financially practical for most consumers and that maybe I'm not who they thought me to be.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:55 pm

Back in the good old days you had to be invited for a Platinum Card. And only the most credit worthy would qualify for a "Gold Card". Then every bank stared issuing their watered down versions of both and so much for any AMEX card being status symbol .
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:00 pm

Because mass market is easily swayed. Give off the air of exclusivity or upper-class and people will flock to it. Just look at metal credit cards in general. Eventually everything filters down in this, "game," as a form of prole drift though.

Look at the BMW 1 series.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:49 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Chase and Citi have the funds to do so if they want, but the will to do so ain’t there. Both these banks don’t seem to really want to own and operate a travel service business. Sort of amusing if going back into the history of what these banks used to do.
Citi actually does have its own lounges. And Chase kind of does with the pop-up holiday lounges for MPE card holders.

Originally Posted by stc
Let's see:
Emergency Medical
Uber benefit
Global entry reimbursed
and, oh yeah,
- $550 minus $200
- Uber benefit is arguable, since there's evidence that Uber charges people with Plats linked higher fares than regular customers
- Global entry reimbursement is at most worth $100 every 5 years. So… $20/year.
- 5x points on airfare, but no travel insurance, so you're still better off putting the purchase on Citi Prestige or at least CSR
- Interest rate is irrelevant… if you're carrying a balance you shouldn't be using credit cards.

Net you're paying $320/yr for… emergency medical evac insurance and good customer service. And the lounges. That's the only thing bringing real value here.

Don't get me wrong, I still do it. But if it weren't for that, I wouldn't be that interested.

Last edited by mia; Oct 28, 2017 at 3:37 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
Citi actually does have its own lounges.....
In which airports? Are they open to credit card holders, or is (example) a CitiGold account required?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mia
In which airports? Are they open to credit card holders, or is (example) a CitiGold account required?
Yes its CitiGold.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ders-get-free/

There are four airports with Citi Proprietary Lounges where Prestige cardmembers receive complimentary access.

Mexico City
Guadalajara
Monterrey
Jakarta

+ Priority Pass
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
There are four airports ...
Thank you. Those seem to match up with the international Centurion Club locations which predate the newer Centurion Lounges:

Centurion Airport Clubs ( EZE,GDL,MEX,MTY,CGH,GRU,GIG)
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:47 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Yes its CitiGold.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ders-get-free/

There are four airports with Citi Proprietary Lounges where Prestige cardmembers receive complimentary access.

Mexico City
Guadalajara
Monterrey
Jakarta

+ Priority Pass
Wow. Really convenient airports. NOT. I think I'll stick with Amex.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Mexico City
Guadalajara
Monterrey
Jakarta
Looks like Citi has plenty of opportunity to expand its international network of lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.