Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I started going to business class lounges (mostly lounges operated by non-US airlines like Japan Airlines' Sakura lounge at SFO and Tokyo) in the late 2000s and what made them so great then (besides the good liquor and snacks) was that you could hear a pin drop. Going into a lounge was like a sonic vacation in the midst of the airport/travel. In the early 2010s I got domestic Delta Sky Club access through Amex Plat and those were noisier but still not that bad. When the Centurion Lounge opened in Las Vegas in 2013 it was as quiet as the old business class lounges, with people sitting quietly at the tables and sofas, mostly single and paired travelers. The furniture was brand new and clean, buffet was delicious, bar was hospitable.

Then quickly everything changed. I guess more people heard about the Centurion lounge benefit and signed up for Amex Plat and by 2015 the LAS lounge and others were a totally different experience, with loud groups of adults and lots and lots of families. I'll never forget being in the IAH Centurion lounge at 5 AM after a red-eye and listening to a child screech every two minutes for an hour, with a Centurion staff member walking over to pointedly stare at the parents hoping they would do something, but they didn't. After that I got a United Club card because even though the Centurion lounges have better snacks and drinks, the madhouse atmosphere that they often have is no longer preferable to a boring domestic airline lounge.
stc likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Katlor
I started going to business class lounges (mostly lounges operated by non-US airlines like Japan Airlines' Sakura lounge at SFO and Tokyo) in the late 2000s and what made them so great then (besides the good liquor and snacks) was that you could hear a pin drop. Going into a lounge was like a sonic vacation in the midst of the airport/travel.
I'd imagine this is still the case, especially in Tokyo. I'm disappointed that CDG is no longer the case, and hope it'll be less boisterous when I'm there in a couple of weeks.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I went through SFO last week. Midweek afternoon, no space. Two of the staff were doing "orbits" trying to help other folks find space. The bar line was the longest I had seen it - it took a right angle and was all the way into the lobby area.

I have now resigned myself to never getting to use this lounge. I travel at peak times, like lots of people. (Maybe that's why they are "peak times"). But one thing I wish they would do is tell me they are full at the front desk, or even post a sign at ground level saying they are full. Then I wouldn't waste any time.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Was in DFW "new" Centurion on Thursday late afternoon. PACKED with line at buffet and only two chairs open (we found in back). Wife is not happy, nor relaxed, and asks me in anger and frustration "why don't they control people entering?". While the food was good (line 8-10 deep to get to it), the overall experience was bad. Better off paying to go to a restaurant elsewhere in the terminal and enjoy a relaxed atmosphere.

A perk of the card that has been absolutely ruined.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Was in DFW "new" Centurion on Thursday late afternoon. PACKED with line at buffet and only two chairs open (we found in back). Wife is not happy, nor relaxed, and asks me in anger and frustration "why don't they control people entering?". While the food was good (line 8-10 deep to get to it), the overall experience was bad. Better off paying to go to a restaurant elsewhere in the terminal and enjoy a relaxed atmosphere.

You mean like turning you and your wife away, because its crowded.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by wesheltonj
You mean like turning you and your wife away, because its crowded.
It would have been the humane thing to do given the capacity situation. The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of admittance has passed...
Old May 5, 2019, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

One hopes the DFW Lounge will be a bit less crowded when AA opens the Flagship options.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
At SFO, I don't really even view Centurion as a "lounge" anymore, but rather a cafeteria where you load a plate, eat, and leave for the United Club (grabbing a cookie on the way out the door) as quickly as possible.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
At SFO, I don't really even view Centurion as a "lounge" anymore, but rather a cafeteria where you load a plate, eat, and leave for the United Club (grabbing a cookie on the way out the door) as quickly as possible.
Yes, I understand your point ^

Thankfully I am on a transpacific UA Polaris flight next week departing SFO. I can happily bypass the CL (across from my positioning connection arrival gate) to enjoy the Polaris lounge. Built-in an additional 1.5 hours to soak in the experience. Some day, sooner than later, bubble 2.0 will shatter and then the CL's will be habitable again.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
The fact that anyone - particularly someone who travels often - would prefer the spartan offerings of a United Club to the CL is unfortunate.
Statman, andrewstahl and cuthroat like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The fact that anyone - particularly someone who travels often - would prefer the spartan offerings of a United Club to the CL is unfortunate.
It’s not a matter of preferring the UC over the CL. I think nearly everyone would prefer the CL if it were not crowded. But it usually is. So it makes sense to enjoy the superior food options at the CL, and then go over to the UC if you have that option.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I was in the Miami club yesterday. I arrived just as rolling thunderstorms started. We were very fortunate to find seating. The rain starting leaking into the club forcing them to close portions off. The club quickly became a zoo. Staffers were trying to move chairs away from the leaking sessions. Groups of people were just standing. We left at 7:45 PM and people were scrambling to grab out seats.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
....rolling thunderstorms started. We were very fortunate to find seating. The rain starting leaking into the club forcing them to close portions....
Soon it will rain like that a few times each week. These early rains are useful for finding leaks that are not apparent during tourist season. I found only one at home .
Old May 6, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
I was in the Miami club yesterday. I arrived just as rolling thunderstorms started. We were very fortunate to find seating. The rain starting leaking into the club forcing them to close portions off. ...
Over $3,000,000,000 has been spent on MIA construction and renovations in the past decade and there are countless roof leaks throughout the airport. Incredible. People should be in prison.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by dhuey
I think nearly everyone would prefer the CL if it were not crowded.
"The CL's are way too crowded - nobody goes there any more."
dhuey and Adelphos like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.