Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It's the second one, or there would have been more reports by now, here and elsewhere, plus notification from Amex.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I am quite familiar with this lounge and its staff, hard to believe that there would be such a poorly trained employee who would say things like "Maybe you can pay to get in another time?" If there were some sort of drastic policy change, there would be some sort of notice either by the front door or at the desk saying that it was a new policy. Frankly, this guy sounds like someone who isn't meant made for customer service.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Racky
I went to the SEA Centurion Lounge twice last month for my layovers between SFO and Paris. I definitely had no problem to get in at all nor the lounge was full, 9 am the first time, 2 pm the second time. I feel there are a few rumors passing around against this lounge for some reasons. Sorry, that is just how I feel.
No problems here either, originating from SEA
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I agree with other posters: “Centurion only” makes no sense at all. There are estimated to be only 17,000 Centurion Cardmembers in the US and around a million Plats. At best that means Centurions are only 2% or so as many as us Plats; it cannot possibly be the case that any of the lounges are intentionally “Centurion only” on any day. The CSR and the desk staff both are saying things that make no sense; they both must be misinformed.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:52 pm

As Amex opened up the first USA Centurion Lounges they were going to charge Platinums. I am sure you can find some of the Amex terms on the internet wayback engine.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
As Amex opened up the first USA Centurion Lounges they were going to charge Platinums. I am sure you can find some of the Amex terms on the internet wayback engine.
Right. Perhaps that, weirdly, was what the Seattle desk agent was thinking of, even though that policy was never put into effect? But even this is quite different from claiming that a Centurion lounge was somehow "Centurion only" on a given day. A totally Centurion-only lounge (without even an option for Plats to pay to enter) would be a lounge with zero to two people in it at any given time.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
As Amex opened up the first USA Centurion Lounges they were going to charge Platinums. ....
Originally Posted by synzero
....even though that policy was never put into effect? .....
The policy was in effect at the original domestic Centurion Lounge, at LAS, but American Express liberally distributed single visit passes to Platinum and other cardholders. You can read the oldest posts in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ounge-las.html

It sounds as if SEA was testing a variant of Centurion-preferred access. The fact that a lounge appears to be below capacity is immaterial. The lounges have been open long enough that management has good data on peak utilization, -and- they now have a preview of impending arrivals:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...bile-check-in/
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
The policy was in effect at the original domestic Centurion Lounge, at LAS, but American Express liberally distributed single visit passes to Platinum and other cardholders. You can read the oldest posts in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ounge-las.html

It sounds as if SEA was testing a variant of Centurion-preferred access. The fact that a lounge appears to be below capacity is immaterial. The lounges have been open long enough that management has good data on peak utilization, -and- they now have a preview of impending arrivals:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...bile-check-in/
I stand corrected on the original policy. However, I’m making two simple points -- even the original policy was "Centurion preferred" not "Centurion only" (the poster indicated the desk agent claimed Platinums couldn’t even buy access that day), and secondly there are so few Centurion cardholders that there's no way even a lounge at any airport would have more than a tiny handful of Centurion cardholders present at any one time, barring some freak occurrence. There's a reason there's only one table reserved for Centurions at the SFO lounge, which is one of the most crowded ones in the system -- there are a tiny number of black card holders.

Last edited by synzero; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:24 am Reason: Typos
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:09 pm

I was wondering if its possible to use 2 different platinum card to get more people in. Both platinum cards are my name as the account holder. I have the normal Platinum card and the Business platinum card, wonder if I can use those two to get me and my wife and my parents.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tanlee07
I was wondering if its possible to use 2 different platinum card to get more people in. Both platinum cards are my name as the account holder. I have the normal Platinum card and the Business platinum card, wonder if I can use those two to get me and my wife and my parents.
https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access

"Guest access is per Card Member, not per Card."
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My flight is delayed 4 hours and my boarding pass has the updated time.

This is where a lounge comes in really handy.

Am I allowed in?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Am I allowed in?
Last time I was delayed at LGA, the front desk wanted to see the original BP and granted access based on that even though the delay was 3+ hours. But I don't know official policy on this edge case.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:29 am

Am I allowed in?
Originally Posted by safari ari
Last time I was delayed at LGA, the front desk wanted to see the original BP and granted access based on that even though the delay was 3+ hours. But I don't know official policy on this edge case.
I'm getting fed up with their obnoxious policy on this.

My old electronic BP was actually "destroyed" by the rebooking, and the check-in counter put me on a different (1 hour later or 3 hours earlier, depending on how you look at it) flight. That's the BP I presented. 3 hours and 10 minutes before its departure time.

She made me dig through emails to find something that referenced the original flight before letting me in. This is supposed to be a relaxing experience. IRROPS are not the time when you want to throw more bureaucracy and procedure on top of things.

When the AC MLL opens in SFO, I'm probably cancelling my AMEX Plat because I'm just getting so fed up with getting hassled at the desk every time I'm entering (being based in SFO, I tend not to arrive early enough to use any lounge unless something has gone wrong, like a 4 hour delay).
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:52 pm

I'm getting fed up with their obnoxious policy on this.

She made me dig through emails to find something that referenced the original flight before letting me in. This is supposed to be a relaxing experience. IRROPS are not the time when you want to throw more bureaucracy and procedure on top of things.
I guess I agree and disagree. What's more annoying, having to show evidence your flight was changed, or having an even more crowded lounge when you need it? The lounges are crowded enough as it is, so I think reasonable controls to limit overcrowding make sense. The rules are pretty clear; if they're going to enforce them, what other way than to make you show some kind of evidence of the original booking? To me, that's not really that unreasonable an ask. Otherwise, what is the desk agent supposed to do, just take the word of the passenger? As we well know, there are lots of people at the ready to take advantage of any loophole... if people didn't take advantage like this, it would be a very different world, but unfortunately we live in this world...
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by synzero
I guess I agree and disagree. What's more annoying, having to show evidence your flight was changed, or having an even more crowded lounge when you need it? The lounges are crowded enough as it is, so I think reasonable controls to limit overcrowding make sense. The rules are pretty clear; if they're going to enforce them, what other way than to make you show some kind of evidence of the original booking? To me, that's not really that unreasonable an ask. Otherwise, what is the desk agent supposed to do, just take the word of the passenger? As we well know, there are lots of people at the ready to take advantage of any loophole... if people didn't take advantage like this, it would be a very different world, but unfortunately we live in this world...
I mean they could see I'm booked on an AC SFO-YYZ flight, and they can see there's a 4 hour delayed AC SFO-YYZ flight.

The email I ended up showing was a flight status notification from AC that said I was delayed. I have enough bookings that I can't just search for "flight" and find the original email. Ticket number has changed, so I can't use that from the BP. AC BPs don't give the booking reference, so I didn't have that to search. Not that I think it's even reasonable to expect me to have proof of a flight I'm not taking.

And bear in mind, the rebooked flight was departing 3 hours and 10 minutes later. 6 hours? Fine, I can appreciate it. But 10 minutes over the limit with "I was delayed 4 hours so they rebooked me" as an explanation should be sufficient.

If they want to fix crowding, eliminate guests. Or go to the general *A/OW policy of one guest, not two. But don't hassle me every time I come in, or you're going to lose me as a customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.