Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320
if SFO is my origin airport I don’t see much of a reason to arrive at the airport early enough to clear security, use the lounge, go back outside, clear security again, and then go to the gate.
You're overstating how much time it takes. I typically arrive SFO 60 minutes prior to departure for domestic, and before UA changed access rules would drop by UC for a cup of coffee and to download video (200 mbps down) prior to AS departure.

Without Pre and Clear, it's a different story, so if you don't have those your comments make sense.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by mctaste
Agreed. Landing from a domestic flight and going to a lounge, instead of leaving the airport and going where you are going, is weird. No lounge in the US is nice enough to warrant extending your time at the destination airport.

Now, if you could spend time in the Lufthansa first class terminal in Frankfurt on arrival...
Not sure I agree. I often arrive at destination and go to CL for a manicure and drink and something to eat (rarely eat on plane). If long flight, shower and change clothes
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're overstating how much time it takes. I typically arrive SFO 60 minutes prior to departure for domestic, and before UA changed access rules would drop by UC for a cup of coffee and to download video (200 mbps down) prior to AS departure.

Without Pre and Clear, it's a different story, so if you don't have those your comments make sense.
I’m not saying I don’t believe that it can easily be done. I’ve done it a few times albeit on transfers with sizable layovers. I’m saying I don’t personally see the point in arriving at the airport 60 minutes before departure to go sit in the lounge for a maximum of about 20 minutes or so before boarding begins which is usually T-35 or so. If it were me I would probably just arrive at the airport 35-40 minutes before departure and walk straight onto the plane.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:11 am

If it were me I would probably just arrive at the airport 35-40 minutes before departure and walk straight onto the plane.
I get it. I think a fellow FT'er put it best by observing that if one doesn't miss a flight once in a while, he/she's probably spending too much time at Airports.

While I understand the rationale completely, I have an unusual fear of being late (not just for flights, but for anything) and just prefer to arrive earlier. Moreover, when it comes to this flying business, I'm an amateur compared to the rest of you and really wouldn't have much idea how to handle missing a flight, aside from just paying the current price for the next one.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Agreed. Landing from a domestic flight and going to a lounge, instead of leaving the airport and going where you are going, is weird. No lounge in the US is nice enough to warrant extending your time at the destination airport.
While I get your point, and I do normally leave the airport right away, there are situations in which it is nice to be able to stop in to a lounge upon arrival for a quick bite or drink, or even just a somewhat quiet/sane place with access to plugs to quickly recharge, catch up on email, etc. This occasionally applies even when I'm headed to my hotel, but is more likely to apply when heading to a work location. And although I try to avoid redeyes whenever possible, after arriving on a redeye I can certainly see how having a place to freshen up would be nice...perhaps even if headed home!
Segments likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by knownothing
Not sure I agree. I often arrive at destination and go to CL for a manicure and drink and something to eat (rarely eat on plane). If long flight, shower and change clothes
You can get manicures at the Centurion lounges?
Adelphos likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
You can get manicures at the Centurion lounges?
Miami and Dallas have Spa facilities.

https://thecenturionlounge.com/ > Choose a location > Explore all Amenities.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
I’m not saying I don’t believe that it can easily be done. I’ve done it a few times albeit on transfers with sizable layovers. I’m saying I don’t personally see the point in arriving at the airport 60 minutes before departure to go sit in the lounge for a maximum of about 20 minutes or so before boarding begins which is usually T-35 or so. If it were me I would probably just arrive at the airport 35-40 minutes before departure and walk straight onto the plane.
agree me too
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Landing from a domestic flight and going to a lounge, instead of leaving the airport and going where you are going, is weird. No lounge in the US is nice enough to warrant extending your time at the destination airport.
Not weird at all. I may have a call scheduled that I don’t want to take from a moving car, and due to WX delays I won’t make it to the office or hotel in time. Or waiting on a colleague who is on a different flight with whom I’m sharing a rental car. Or just looking for a clean bathroom.
Visconti and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Two points here:
  1. Having a good lounge at origin airport greatly mitigates arriving early. I won't arrive early to use a good lounge, but having a good lounge makes it much more pleasant to arrive early and so I'm happier planning on a big buffer to avoid missing flights.
  2. There are many reasons to use a lounge on arrival, as pointed out by others. Another reason is if you know your hotel room isn't ready (or if you don't have one at all). This is the one big drawback of using foreign carrier *G status to access domestic *A lounges, since there's no access on arrival.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Now, if you could spend time in the Lufthansa first class terminal in Frankfurt on arrival...
Shower? Waiting for your ride because your flight was early? There are many reasons.

If you aim for 35 minutes and there's a BART delay or something abnormal on 101, then 35 becomes 5 and you miss your flight. If you aim for 60, it takes a much longer delay to cause problems. I'm the same way. I typically get to SFO a few minutes before boarding begins, and therefore have time to grab a glass of water or wine in a lounge, but sometimes I hit a snag, and I'm racing through security with only a few minutes before boarding ends. If my target arrival time was T-40, I'd have missed many flights.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Visited the PHL Centurion Lounge from 3:45-4:45pm on Fri 12/27. When I arrived, there was no wait to enter and a fair selection of available seating. When I departed, there were a dozen people in line to enter and no seats available in the lounge; admitted guests were standing along the walls waiting for seated folks to leave.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dpb132
Visited the PHL Centurion Lounge from 3:45-4:45pm on Fri 12/27. When I arrived, there was no wait to enter and a fair selection of available seating. When I departed, there were a dozen people in line to enter and no seats available in the lounge; admitted guests were standing along the walls waiting for seated folks to leave.
Ahh yes. The lovely banking of AA hubs...
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

You've never landed and needed to use the bathroom? It's a lot more pleasant in a lounge than in the terminal. Or you could want to charge your devices. Your ride is running late. You checked bags and don't want to stand around the claim. Hardly "weird".
canadiancow and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
You've never landed and needed to use the bathroom? It's a lot more pleasant in a lounge than in the terminal. Or you could want to charge your devices. Your ride is running late. You checked bags and don't want to stand around the claim. Hardly "weird".
I will quite often use lounges on arrival to shower/refresh/eat before heading onward. With that said, Amex doesn't let people do that anymore anyway so for me it was just a bit odd that people actually get to SFO (or any airport) in advance and choose to go to the UA side just to visit the Centurion Lounge as opposed to just getting there at boarding and getting on the plane. I suppose if traffic is a concern and you're left with extra time then that makes more sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.