Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have appended your post to the current thread discussing the Canadian Platinum card. Reviewing the earlier posts will answer some of your questions.

The International Airline Program (companion ticket) is discussed in these two threads. The second is USA-centric, but the program structure is very similar: buy one expensive ticket rather than two discounted tickets. This program isn't (generally) about saving money, but rather about preserving flexibility.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-ticket.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by eishv

3) I am new to AEROPLAN as well. I don't like to fly Air Canada. Can anyone tell me, is there any sort of fee to use your AEROPLAN points to fly another member of the Star Alliance (Like Lufthansa for example)? I don't want to get dinged.
Check the Air Canada / Aeroplan Forum. You may be interested in this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Via a referral will get you 60K and many here will clamor for your referral so they get their 15K. But it's a mutually beneficial. You might even get PM's (I did)

I did a cross referral with my wife to get a total 75K.

Aeroplan will ding you big time for taxes and fuel surcharges. I have a booking, 3 in J YYZ to SYD one way, $1400-1500 in taxes. Aeroplan is a game you need to learn, and sometimes the hard way. That being said International J nets 4%/mile or more.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observations

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
...many here will clamor for your referral so they get their 15K. But it's a mutually beneficial. You might even get PM's (I did)
Note that referral offers are permitted only in one thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...il-2014-a.html

...and that using the PM system to solicit referrals is not permitted.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by eishv
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for reading my thread. I'm quite new to the site, but following all the advice on here, I now have Platinum status with a hotel brand, so thought I'd turn my attention to flying now.

A friend told me about the AMEX Platinum card, and while it looks very interesting, I want to be damn sure about it before I pay that $699 fee. I was hoping I could appeal to your communal knowledge.

1) I know the card gives a welcome bonus of 50,000 points, which you can keep as AMEX points, or convert 1:1 to Aeroplan/Avios. I wanted to see what 50,000 gets you with AMEX, but it looks like you need to sign up before they reveal that to you. I am specifically interested in travel from Canada/US (Ontario/Detroit) to Western Europe. I am claustrophobic and so want to fly business class. Can someone tell me what a business class round trip to Europe would be in AMEX points?

2) The card also mentions you can get free upgrades, and importantly, free companion flights through the AMEX rewards, but I can't find any details about it anywhere. What do you need to do to qualify? Is there a limit? Or do you just automatically get a free companion if you book a single ticket through AMEX? Also good for business class?

3) I am new to AEROPLAN as well. I don't like to fly Air Canada. Can anyone tell me, is there any sort of fee to use your AEROPLAN points to fly another member of the Star Alliance (Like Lufthansa for example)? I don't want to get dinged.

Thanks so much everyone - I've read differing opinions on the card.
1) Referral offer gives a bonus of 60,000 points, which is better than the 50,000 points offer. A roundtrip business class to Europe 1 is 90,000 points, plus applicable taxes and fees. This is subject to award availability. Alternately 60,000 points will get you $600 in a travel credit, although I find transferring to Aeroplan and Avios a much better value.

2) Free companion flights are only for full fare business/first class trips. Generally you'd be paying several thousand dollars for a qualifying fare. So unless you generally buy flexible tickets which are much more expensive than lowest fares ones this isn't of any use.

3) You can fly all the members of star alliance with aeroplan, although Lufthansa and several other partners have fuel surcharges which may be several hundred dollars in addition to your award chart. See this list of partners with no fuel surcharges.

If you'd like to read my post (mods feel free to remove) I wrote a post about whether the Platinum card is worth it to me (short answer - it is!) Link: http://boardingarea.com/canadiankilo...-canada-worth/
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Note that referral offers are permitted only in one thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...il-2014-a.html

...and that using the PM system to solicit referrals is not permitted.
I realize that and have not tried, nor have ever tried, the refferal game over here. I'm warning of what will likely happen to such a post.

I found the card worthwhile. I will be able to get to use the $200 annual travel credit, twice, so for $299/75,000 points = .004c/Mile. Not bad since I can get 0.04c/mile, 10X the return.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:47 pm

I realize that and have not tried, nor have ever tried, the refferal game over here. I'm warning of what will likely happen to such a post.

I found the card worthwhile. I will be able to get to use the $200 annual travel credit, twice, so for $299/75,000 points = .004c/Mile. Not bad since I can get 0.04c/mile, 10X the return.
You mean $0.004, not 0.004 cents right!
I quite like the priority pass and hotel statuses too.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
You mean $0.004, not 0.004 cents right!
I quite like the priority pass and hotel statuses too.
Yes to the former. Won't really get to use the hotel status though. I might be pleasantly surprised but all I really looked at is the dollars per mile. Going to get the AeroPlat in 6 months and ditch the plat in the new year once the $200 is used. I'm like a squirrel with Aeroplan miles as nuts. My wife is selling her store in a year or 2, most of our miles used to come from her spending. Used to before the Amex train started. Sure looks nice when 1y year of Amex only points is selected in my account. Sure we've got 2 AeroPlats and my wife has spent large on hers, but those cross referrals for the FYF cards is sweet! We've done the Gold, GoldBiz, and Aerogold plus the AeroPlat. Would have done the SPG but waited too long.....

Thanks to those who've help me along the way!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:15 pm

Yes to the former. Won't really get to use the hotel status though. I might be pleasantly surprised but all I really looked at is the dollars per mile. Going to get the AeroPlat in 6 months and ditch the plat in the new year once the $200 is used. I'm like a squirrel with Aeroplan miles as nuts. My wife is selling her store in a year or 2, most of our miles used to come from her spending. Used to before the Amex train started. Sure looks nice when 1y year of Amex only points is selected in my account. Sure we've got 2 AeroPlats and my wife has spent large on hers, but those cross referrals for the FYF cards is sweet! We've done the Gold, GoldBiz, and Aerogold plus the AeroPlat. Would have done the SPG but waited too long.....

Thanks to those who've help me along the way!
Yeah, I totally wish the SPG offer stuck around. My mom was going for it in her next churn, only for the offer go down the toilet. Hopefully it'll come back soon.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
When you book with Amex PTS, to apply your $200 credit, if the travel is for the next calendar year, does the $200 count against this year or the next year?

I am booking a hotel for next March and would have a deposit due when I book next month. I would like to use both credits ($200 (2014 credit) for the deposit and $200 for the stay in 2015 (2015 credit)) Possible?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by coleworld
When you book with Amex PTS, to apply your $200 credit, if the travel is for the next calendar year, does the $200 count against this year or the next year?

I am booking a hotel for next March and would have a deposit due when I book next month. I would like to use both credits ($200 (2014 credit) for the deposit and $200 for the stay in 2015 (2015 credit)) Possible?
2014, all is per date of reservation.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by coleworld

You need to book one night using the 2014 credit first. After Jan 1, you book more night with the 2015 credit.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:24 am

That's what I assumed. We have decided to go to a dive event in Maroma in June so hopefully I can book the hotel through PTS, it is available on an internet booking agency. Maroma is small town Ontario.
Otherwise I'll do the booking for next June's OZ flight in Dec and the hotel in Jan.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:16 am

Just out of curiosity I checked my Amex account and my MR balance for my Gold biz is now under primary card XXXXX which I assume is my new Plat card. The card is on the way.

I put in my BizGold card # during the Plat application. This is the first time it's happened, my personal gold had a different MR #.

Nice.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Just out of curiosity I checked my Amex account and my MR balance for my Gold biz is now under primary card XXXXX which I assume is my new Plat card. The card is on the way.

I put in my BizGold card # during the Plat application. This is the first time it's happened, my personal gold had a different MR #.

Nice.
You can check the MR points history to see where the points go so you know exactly which MR accout is the primary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.