Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Prewrappedbacon
Where did you hear about the Marco Polo benefit going away?
As extensively posted in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ast-track.html

No more new applications past March 31st, and current members are getting letters regarding when their new MPC membership expiry is schedule to be, and offers regarding fast track to keep the status. The Marco Polo Gold offer and literature has been removed from the website and all welcome packages.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sam_AE
I haven't paid the annual fee yet -- it was billed. My payment is due next week.

I don't disagree with you on this point -- and yes, I did get the bonus points already and I used some (but not all) of them. As I said, I agree with you that my request is a bit crazy given that I did get the benefit of the bonus points. Having said this, by cancelling the card Amex doesn't have to pay for the costs associated with the remaining 11 months of my membership (concierge, $200 travel credit, insurances, etc). So, I don't think this is as clear cut -- there are arguments to be made on my side and in Amex' favor.

I actually read the entire T&C's booklet for the Platinum card. There is absolutely no mention of the refundability (either pro or con) of the annual fee. At a minimum, I would have expected Amex to list on the disclosure page (that comes with the card) that the annual fee is non-refundable if this was their intention.

Here's the resolution of my issue:

I called Amex twice and I was told that the fee is non refundable (given my scenario -- as MA pointed out, if I had not used any of the points there may not have been an argument at all).

I called back after having read the full T&C's with the intention of speaking to a Supervisor. I ultimately spoke to an agent who asked me to explain my issue before she would transferred me to a supervisor. The Agent used Markandrew's argument --> she asked rhetorically (but respectfully) "do you expect us to give you the MR bonus points and refund your fee?". I made my argument that: (1) it isn't that clear in their T&C's that the annual fee is non-refundable *and* (2) that Amex avoids certain costs when I cancel the card early.

She actually agreed with my logic and asked me what I thought would be a reasonable solution. I suggested that they prorate the refund -- I've had the card for 1 month so I suggested that a refund of 11 months of the annual fee would be fair. She agreed. She processed the refund and cancelled the card.

I fully acknowledge that I should not have applied and used this card until I was 100% sure that I could justify the $699 annual fee based on my travel needs. For what it's worth, in the month that I've had the card, I've charged over $5k to the card so it isn't like I just met the minimum spending threshold and then cancelled it.

I will give a huge ^ to Amex for handling this situation the way it has -- they truly are a customer service oriented company (even when the customer is 'arguably' at fault, they seem to always step up to plate).
AMEX has been very generous in general, so consider yourself very lucky you paid $58 ($699/12 months) to get 60K AMEX MR points

Most CC T&C I remember don't write anything about "fee refunds", but I personally wouldn't use it as a reason, but good to know AMEX was kind

I should keep that in mind next time I re-apply AMEX Plat card
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Overall, the Plat is an awesome card with its' extensive coverage and affiliate memberships (Carson Gold and Fairmont have been worth it!).

For $500 (700-200 credit), what you get is worth it but I don't travel enough so I might switch back to Gold
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum
Does amex canada backdate account opening dates to match the member since year?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by emoose1
Does amex canada backdate account opening dates to match the member since year?
Yes.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:23 am

Plat is definitely worth it.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Plat is definitely worth it.
I'm getting to know the PTS travel agents quite well as I'm calling lots to bug them about hotels in HK, and for Westjet fares between YXS-YVR. They must be quite tired of me now, waffling between hotel choices and asking them to look this and that up.

Unfortunately, it does seem like the Westjet discount is dead for now. A travel agent confirmed it for me yesterday. I hope it does come back!

Getting to recognize individual travel agents' voices... that's how you know you're calling too much!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Amex should not have pro-rated a refund and allowed the member to keep 60,000 bonus points. Thats nuts and makes no sense at all. They should have taken whatever MR points back and then pro rated a refund to whatever seemed reasonable given the points that were already used.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Unfortunately, it does seem like the Westjet discount is dead for now. A travel agent confirmed it for me yesterday. I hope it does come back!
They had better ramp up some new benefits or this card will be impossible to justify.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I was skeptical when I got this card last year, but its proven to be great value.

60,000 points alone were worth the $499 (or $299), especially if they ever turn into 90,000 Avios.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by tonym6969
I then looked at booking a rental car using Hertz or Avis. I already have Gold and Preferred service though the CAA membership. Hertz was insanely overpriced as usual so settled with a Mustang GT from Avis at $70/day using my Mlife discount code. Conclusion is that the rental car program provides zero benefit over over discounts obtained on the net.
I disagree. Did you use the Amex Plat code to quote? I have found Hertz's Amex Plat rate to be usually superior to Avis and Budget.

Next is travel insurance. I am an avid scuba diver so traveling must always include insurance for travel health. My $120 RBC Infinite card has virtually the exact same insurance as the Plat card including the scuba diving heatlh care. My Sun Life company medical benefits also covers scuba diving.
Does the RBC Infinite card offer Canacellation coverage? I thought Amex Plat and CIBC Aventura are the only two credit cards with such coverage.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by roastpuff
I'm getting to know the PTS travel agents quite well as I'm calling lots to bug them about hotels in HK, and for Westjet fares between YXS-YVR. They must be quite tired of me now, waffling between hotel choices and asking them to look this and that up.

Getting to recognize individual travel agents' voices... that's how you know you're calling too much!
I have found using the Amex on-line travel booking sometimes returns better hotel rates than through the PTS.

It's unfortunate to hear that the WS discount is dead.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
They had better ramp up some new benefits or this card will be impossible to justify.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I was skeptical when I got this card last year, but its proven to be great value.

60,000 points alone were worth the $499 (or $299), especially if they ever turn into 90,000 Avios.
I agree that for 2013, the $699 (effective $499) fee can be easily justified.

However, going forward for 2014 and beyond, I am not so sure unless Amex is coming up with something tangible to replace the various lost benefits, e.g., CX MPC Gold, AA/US lounge access, etc.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Clipper801
However, going forward for 2014 and beyond, I am not so sure unless Amex is coming up with something tangible to replace the various lost benefits, e.g., CX MPC Gold, AA/US lounge access, etc.
Absolutely. I'm hoping for some sort of replacement soon, otherwise most of the justification for the increase to $699 just disappeared.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Originally Posted by rankourabu

I agree that for 2013, the $699 (effective $499) fee can be easily justified.

Since it is $200 travel credit per year the first year fee is really only $299

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.