Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by InstantStatus
Any idea of when the $200 travel credit posts for 2017 ? I seem to have read some reports that it posts in late December of the preceding year.
You need to make a 2017 booking online the AMEX travel site (or call in to PTS?) in 2017 (ie Jan 1 or later), indicate you want to use the credit, and it should post to your account within a few days.

I don't think there is any way to get your 2017 credit other than during 2017...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:25 am

Paying my bill today, I decided to have a look at the ever-dwindling benefits to see what was left. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see: Shangri-La Hotels Jade Status! You need to enrol via the Platinum Benefits portal. So, we've lost Accor, Fairmont and soon both Air Canada and Marriott/SPG, but for now we get mid-tier Shangri-La status!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:52 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I just cancelled my Plat today (had it for over 5 years but have had various Amexes for over 20) due to the non-replacement of the Fairmont Plat in 5 stays benefit. Shangri-La is surprise addition as you stated but of no use to me.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I just cancelled my Plat today (had it for over 5 years but have had various Amexes for over 20) due to the non-replacement of the Fairmont Plat in 5 stays benefit. Shangri-La is surprise addition as you stated but of no use to me.
i'm in the same boat i called them to see why the Canadian Plat got so devaluation on the past years in term of perks... she was unable to answer, pushing that restaurant and FHR is pretty good and exclusive.
But with some reporting that Fairmont / Accor will not give perks Platinum for booking outside their site so what's the incentive to still be with Fairmont ?
Being base in Montreal not much special lounge offer ... received Priority email stating that there will be fee now to paid even if you get the Amex Plat ??? What ????

ya still thinking ditching the card . membership fee paid for the year so will see

cheers
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:19 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by Vasco
Paying my bill today, I decided to have a look at the ever-dwindling benefits to see what was left. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see: Shangri-La Hotels Jade Status! You need to enrol via the Platinum Benefits portal. So, we've lost Accor, Fairmont and soon both Air Canada and Marriott/SPG, but for now we get mid-tier Shangri-La status!
Where have you gotten your information from on losing Marriott/SPG status? Everything I've seen is that Gold status is being maintained but just that new gold is lesser than old gold.

And... we had benefits with Air Canada?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended

I'm trying to figure out how Amex can make this addition and not even communicate it to their card holders! if i hadn't seen it here, i wouldn't have known about it. maybe i'll get an email in six months letting me know.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ireman
received Priority email stating that there will be fee now to paid even if you get the Amex Plat ??? What ????
I’m as unhappy as the next guy about the yearly devaluations to the Amex Plat, but your statement is simply untrue:

On the 1st October 2018 we will be increasing the fee for chargeable lounge visits to US$32 per visit per person. Any complimentary visits included as a part of your membership will not be affected by this fee increase
Bonding mind. Chargeable lounge visits increase to $32 (I believe from $27) while complimentary visits stay free.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
As the AMEX Plat Canada seems to be in a downward spiral, the CSR do not seem to know of any imminent changes. Any info re a possible oncoming features to keep the allure of the Canada plat card? Is it not the best time to make the card far more appealing?
More MRs on travel transactions, at least 31 days travel insurance (just to keep up with premium travel cards...), more MR transfer partners (US style multiple options...) etc.

Any pending great news?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by ffsim

I’m as unhappy as the next guy about the yearly devaluations to the Amex Plat, but your statement is simply untrue:

Bonding mind. Chargeable lounge visits increase to $32 (I believe from $27) while complimentary visits stay free.
Thanks for the info / but if you look at my post there is a ? called a question mark ! Meaning i was asking a question, far away from a statement .

thanks again
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ireman
if you look at my post there is a ? called a question mark ! Meaning i was asking a question, far away from a statement .
I'm familiar with the question mark. Whether you intended "received Priority email stating that there will be fee now to paid even if you get the Amex Plat" to be a statement or a question, the email you refer to does not in any way state that there will be a fee "even if you get the Amex Plat."

In fact, it says the exact opposite. And that's the clarification I was offering to you and our fellow forum members.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:58 pm

There are 2 Shangri-La hotels in Canada (Toronto, Vancouver). Not a useful benefit!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyWhere
There are 2 Shangri-La hotels in Canada (Toronto, Vancouver). Not a useful benefit!
Unless, perhaps, you are the type of person who applied for Platinum because you travel outside North America.
canolakid likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:49 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Like when they gave Accor Plat (Accor only had hotels in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and New York) way back when. Was useful however if you travelled in Europe and Asia. Back in the heady days of CX Gold which paid for itself in BA seat reservation fee waivers

Like posters above have said, not much new to keep me around unfortunately. No FX transaction fees would be huge but not holding my breath.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:44 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
My theory on who can provide 0% F/X

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Like when they gave Accor Plat (Accor only had hotels in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and New York) way back when. Was useful however if you travelled in Europe and Asia. Back in the heady days of CX Gold which paid for itself in BA seat reservation fee waivers

Like posters above have said, not much new to keep me around unfortunately. No FX transaction fees would be huge but not holding my breath.
I've always thought about cards that don't charge F/X fees as having significant charges around the world in different currencies where they can just wash out the charges and generally not have to do any exchanges except internally. With only internal exchanges happening, there's still money to be made at exchanging at the Visa/MC rate without a 2.5% fee.

Chase could do it because they acted like Chase Canada was part of Chase USA for servicing Canadian needs of American clients (I'm inferring here), Amex USA can do it but Amex Canada can't because Amex Canada has to turn it's own profit. Scotia apparently can do it. I don't know what the heck Brim thinks they're doing but I don't think it'll last, and HSBC is probably in the best position in the world to do it in the most currencies.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:28 am

Anyone else receive the invitation to answer the survey regarding this card? The questions were very telling regarding where they think this card is lacking. But I'm glad I was able to fully voice my opinion on where they can shove the 2.5% forex fee. Expecially now that both Scotiabank and HSBC have come onboard the "no-forex fee" bandwagon in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.