Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
"Worth it" is, as always, highly subjective. I don't travel for work enough to get status anywhere, so getting Plat at Fairmont for cheap, SPG gold for free, Diamond-matched at Hilton, and even the Accor plat has been a boon for me. Lounge access has been a saviour for long layovers.

Fairmont Plat itself is worth at minimum $400 ($100 F&B + optional $100 F&B + free night). Add the $200 travel credit and the PP, and you've already made up for the cost of the card.

FHR is a complex beast. Sometimes I've flat out saved money (e.g. last minute bookings in YVR with third/fourth night free) while getting nice room upgrades, breakfast, and F&B credit. Other times I spent more than what I otherwise would have spent, but got an experience that I never would have paid for by itself.

E.g., I just came back from a vacation in Seoul and booked the Four Seasons city-view exec suite for $750 CAD per night with 3rd night free. Came out to $1500 CAD for 3 nights. I got upgraded to a top floor palace-view exec suite that would have cost $1100 CAD a night if booked direct. If I didn't have FHR, I probably would have spent just $900-1000 CAD for three nights in a basic room at the Conrad or Ritz.

FHR has been by far the most valuable feature of the Amex Plat for me. In the first half of the year I've booked 4 FHR stays and am looking forward to a couple more later this year.

As for the Accor plat, I stayed at the Novotel Taipei airport hotel and got the appropriate platinum benefits. It was a comfortable stay and I was pleasantly surprised by how solid the experience was, considering that it was an airport hotel.

All-in-all, for my usage pattern, I feel that I am way ahead in the cost/benefit of having the card.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
Did they send you some sort of notice about this? I shifted my business to Accor properties for a couple of years following the introduction of the benefit, but it's not like me I'll miss terribly if I'm honest.
Yes they did. On my April statement they had the following notice:

Removal of the Le Club AccorHotels Platinum Tier Membership Benefit

Effective April 30, 2016, enrollment in Le Club AccorHotels' Platinum tier membership will no longer be a benefit on The Platinum Card.

If you are currently enrolled in Le Club AccorHotels' Platinum tier membership and your membership expires on, or before April 30, 2016, Le Club AccorHotels will offer you one (1) additional complimentary membership year in their Platinum tier, with no minimum requirements. To preserve your Platinum tier membership after your complimentary year comes to an end, you will need to fulfil the Le Club AccorHotels qualifying criteria, details of which can be found at www.accorhotels.com/leclub.

If your membership expires on, or after May 1, 2016, you can retain your Platinum tier membership provided you have met Le Club AccorHotels' qualifying criteria. Depending on the number of nights stayed or points earned, Le Club AccorHotels will assess your membership and enroll you into the appropriate tier in accordance with Le Club AccorHotels terms and conditions available on www.accorhotels.com/leclub. If you are not yet a member, Le Club AccorHotels will offer you one (1) complimentary year of their Platinum tier membership if you enroll by April 15, 2016. To enroll, please go to americanexpress.ca/platinum-enroll or call Platinum Card Servicing at 1-800-263-1616 .

---

Given that Accor bought Fairmont, I'm more concerned about the possible disappearance of the Fairmont benefit, as that is one of my favourite features of this card.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kendryk
"Worth it" is, as always, highly subjective.

<snip>

All-in-all, for my usage pattern, I feel that I am way ahead in the cost/benefit of having the card.
Great points! I'm in a very similar situation and you've explained exactly why I feel there's still value in that card... for now

Originally Posted by Vasco
Yes they did. On my April statement ...
Ah, thanks! I didn't have that notice on my April statement but it was on my March statement along with a note that the IAP program is dropping the "discounted companion ticket offer" from Air New Zealand.

Guess which page I tend to focus on when I receive a statement

Given that Accor bought Fairmont, I'm more concerned about the possible disappearance of the Fairmont benefit, as that is one of my favourite features of this card.
I totally share this concern.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, RBC Rewards, British Airways Avios, American Airlines Aadvantage
"Worth it" is, as always, highly subjective. I don't travel for work enough to get status anywhere, so getting Plat at Fairmont for cheap, SPG gold for free, Diamond-matched at Hilton, and even the Accor plat has been a boon for me. Lounge access has been a saviour for long layovers.

Fairmont Plat itself is worth at minimum $400 ($100 F&B + optional $100 F&B + free night). Add the $200 travel credit and the PP, and you've already made up for the cost of the card.

E.g., I just came back from a vacation in Seoul and booked the Four Seasons city-view exec suite for $750 CAD per night with 3rd night free. Came out to $1500 CAD for 3 nights. I got upgraded to a top floor palace-view exec suite that would have cost $1100 CAD a night if booked direct. If I didn't have FHR, I probably would have spent just $900-1000 CAD for three nights in a basic room at the Conrad or Ritz.

FHR has been by far the most valuable feature of the Amex Plat for me. In the first half of the year I've booked 4 FHR stays and am looking forward to a couple more later this year.
That's how i plan on using the FH&R myself. Finding that free night on the 3rd of 4th night plus all the perks really allows you to get a nice room and a much cheaper avg per night. Plus getting the nicer top room helps a bunch too!
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium

FHR is a complex beast. Sometimes I've flat out saved money (e.g. last minute bookings in YVR with third/fourth night free) while getting nice room upgrades, breakfast, and F&B credit. Other times I spent more than what I otherwise would have spent, but got an experience that I never would have paid for by itself.

As for the Accor plat, I stayed at the Novotel Taipei airport hotel and got the appropriate platinum benefits. It was a comfortable stay and I was pleasantly surprised by how solid the experience was, considering that it was an airport hotel.

FHR is pretty decent. I used it at the Four Seasons Beijing. That was quite an experience my family won't soon forget. We got a room upgrade too and the General Manger of the hotel personally came to our room to see if everything was okay.

I decided the thing that makes the card worth it is the 25k referral bonus. Added with the other perks, this is definitely where its at.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:22 pm

"Yes they did. On my April statement they had the following notice:
....."
Now I saw it on the last page of my March 2016 statement. My status expires at the end of May, so I missed the last complimentary Platinum status offer at the end of April.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

Why didn't you just get a $200 room ? you would have saved even more money
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, RBC Rewards, British Airways Avios, American Airlines Aadvantage
Originally Posted by Handcake
FHR is pretty decent. I used it at the Four Seasons Beijing. That was quite an experience my family won't soon forget. We got a room upgrade too and the General Manger of the hotel personally came to our room to see if everything was okay.

I decided the thing that makes the card worth it is the 25k referral bonus. Added with the other perks, this is definitely where its at.
Who do you refer? I'm always curious who people end up referring.(Friends or coworkers? etc?) i haven't referred anyone yet. (i've even posted in this forum.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:35 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pmich
Who do you refer? I'm always curious who people end up referring.(Friends or coworkers? etc?) i haven't referred anyone yet. (i've even posted in this forum.
I referred myself for gold. I also refer people at work. Sadly, I work internationally and have a limited pool of Canadians I can refer.

I also refer family.

I haven't bothered yet getting into websites where you can maybe get people to PM you for referrals.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Handcake
I referred myself for gold. I also refer people at work. Sadly, I work internationally and have a limited pool of Canadians I can refer.

I also refer family.

I haven't bothered yet getting into websites where you can maybe get people to PM you for referrals.
Good for you

Most people I know (friends/family/coworker) aren't interested in what I can share/offer, either in travel or finance
They just admire or say "oh cool" and move on ... their loss

I agree though, Aeroplan is not for everyone, but it's a known fact, many people just stick with CC from their banks
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Your question really highlights my original point that the "worth" of the card and its benefits is highly subjective. I also could have stayed at a hostel or paid $8 a night at and moved between different jjimjilbangs. Simply saving money was not the point for me. There is often a big difference between spending the least amount of money vs getting the most benefit for your spending.

Part of the Reason why the benefit is highly subjective is that it's hard to put a hard dollar figure on it. In my example, I would not argue that I "saved" $1950 ($1150 x 3 - $750 x 2) for the room that I got. I would not have spent an extra $1950 to get that room, so that is an invalid point of comparison.

What I can say is that I happily paid $500 more for that room vs an Executive floor room at the Conrad. So maybe the dollar figure worth of the benefit FOR ME was somewhere between $500-$1950? If someone else was doing the analysis, depending on their particular valuation of the importance of the hotel experience, it could have a null valuation since they would never book those rooms. Or it could have a negative valuation, as you implied, since it requires spending much more money for something that you may consider extraneous to the travel experience.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:55 am
Suspended

Can you use the $200 travel credit towards CAR RENTAL booked through the Amex Travel website (https://travel.americanexpress.ca) ?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:20 am
alc

Can you use the $200 travel credit towards CAR RENTAL booked through the Amex Travel website (https://travel.americanexpress.ca) ?
yes, it can apply to car rental, done that specifically myself to use the $200 travel credits.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:33 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Luxury Hotel stays, do you value it?

I think it's more a question of "Do you aspire to stay in a room that you can't afford?"

If the answer is no, then take the $200/night room and save your money for things you do value. If the answer is Yes then learn the programs, chase the status and consider it value gained when you get to stay in a $1000/night room for the $500/night that you wouldn't normally spend but could stretch to afford to get the otherwise unaffordable experience.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BackSlash3
I think it's more a question of "Do you aspire to stay in a room that you can't afford?"

If the answer is no, then take the $200/night room and save your money for things you do value. If the answer is Yes then learn the programs, chase the status and consider it value gained when you get to stay in a $1000/night room for the $500/night that you wouldn't normally spend but could stretch to afford to get the otherwise unaffordable experience.
I see. Personnaly, I started churning to save money on my regular "economy" travel. I try to resist the temptations and incentives by credit card companies (such as Fine Hotels & Resorts by Amex) to spend more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.