Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
Where can we see our $200 credit online?
After you signed into Amex on-line travel, you will see it there or make a dummy booking over $200, at the payment page, it will prompt you whether you want to use your travel credit.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
It looks like the Platinum Dining program has been "enhanced" away. There description of the benefits has been watered down (more more&mirrors and could/would language, less explicit) and there is no more explicit description of the free amenity offered by each participating restaurant.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...staurants.html

I benefited from this program twice during a recent stay in Quebec City and received free wine and champagne at Le Sam and Champlain restaurants in the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
It looks like the Platinum Dining program has been "enhanced" away. There description of the benefits has been watered down (more more&mirrors and could/would language, less explicit) and there is no more explicit description of the free amenity offered by each participating restaurant.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...staurants.html

I benefited from this program twice during a recent stay in Quebec City and received free wine and champagne at Le Sam and Champlain restaurants in the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City
Yes, they used to spell out the exact "benefits" but I did run into a situation in Vancouver last year where the restaurant refused to honour the Amex Plat dining programme. I booked the table via the concierge. Similarly, the Canadian International Airline Programme is virtually useless in most cases.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:25 am

Canadian American Express Platinum Travel Credit

american express

Last edited by dts9; Nov 7, 2018 at 9:09 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by dts9
I have been a Canadian Amex Platinum member for several years with an anniversary date of September.

Each January, a $200 travel credit was posted that had to be used before the end of the year.

This year, I decided to cancel and was told that the $200 travel credit I used in January 2018 was based on the 2018 membership fee, so the $200 will be charged if I cancel.

Does that make any sense... It is obviously a new angle as the most recent statement had a change to the travel credit conditions where its says, effective Jan 2019, it will be posted on your anniversary date not January 1st.

This means that anyone who used their travel credit in 2018 BEFORE there renewal date, will have a whole year and $699 fee, until it is posted on their 2019 renewal date...

Watch out for this.
Yes, it makes sense because in your 1st year of membership, although you joined in September, you received $200 for use as soon as you have signed up. You received another $200 in January after just 4 months' membership. However, I am surprised that it is not a pro-rated charge back, i.e., from Sept. to Dec. for 4 months = $200/12 x 4 = $67 instead of the full $200.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:44 pm

Great head up.

I have been a Canadian Amex Platinum member for several years with an anniversary date of September.

Each January, a $200 travel credit was posted that had to be used before the end of the year.

This year, I decided to cancel and was told that the $200 travel credit I used in January 2018 was based on the 2018 membership fee, so the $200 will be charged if I cancel.

Does that make any sense... It is obviously a new angle as the most recent statement had a change to the travel credit conditions where its says, effective Jan 2019, it will be posted on your anniversary date not January 1st.

This means that anyone who used their travel credit in 2018 BEFORE there renewal date, will have a whole year and $699 fee, until it is posted on their 2019 renewal date...

Watch out for this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:14 am

The agreement they send you is very clear. It outlines that a member is entitled to a $200 travel credit every calendar year.

Historically that has posted in january, so following the terms, someone could join in July and get two $200 travel credits and then cancel the card. Nothing wrong with that as following the terms.

To fix that, they have adjusted the terms and conditions to say that you get the travel credit on your anniversary date, ie upon paying your $699 fee..

This fixes the double dipping by people who only keep the card for a year, but impacts loyal card holders,\

ie, if you originally signed up in December year ago, you have been getting the $200 every January.

This december, you will pay $699 and get NO TRAVEL CREDIT in the entire membership year... your next travel credit wont be until you renew in Dec 2019.

That is not fair...
Clipper801 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:19 pm

The agreement they send you is very clear. It outlines that a member is entitled to a $200 travel credit every calendar year.

Historically that has posted in january, so following the terms, someone could join in July and get two $200 travel credits and then cancel the card. Nothing wrong with that as following the terms.

To fix that, they have adjusted the terms and conditions to say that you get the travel credit on your anniversary date, ie upon paying your $699 fee..

This fixes the double dipping by people who only keep the card for a year, but impacts loyal card holders,\

ie, if you originally signed up in December year ago, you have been getting the $200 every January.

This december, you will pay $699 and get NO TRAVEL CREDIT in the entire membership year... your next travel credit wont be until you renew in Dec 2019.

That is not fair...
Definitely not fair. I got caught by this when I tried to use my credit today. The supervisor was pretty bad and tried to make it sound like I didn't understand and that the benefit was exactly the same. If I had known this at my renewal last June, I never would have renewed. Of course since they announced the change in the small print on the back side of my bill, after I had already paid, there was nothing I could do about it. I have only been a member since 2010 (I previously had a UK Amex Plat), but I certainly won't be renewing this card. The benefits that I want to use have deteriorated in any case.

That will be an extra $700 in my wallet every year.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:43 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Definitely not fair. I got caught by this when I tried to use my credit today. The supervisor was pretty bad and tried to make it sound like I didn't understand and that the benefit was exactly the same. If I had known this at my renewal last June, I never would have renewed. Of course since they announced the change in the small print on the back side of my bill, after I had already paid, there was nothing I could do about it. I have only been a member since 2010 (I previously had a UK Amex Plat), but I certainly won't be renewing this card. The benefits that I want to use have deteriorated in any case.

Dr. PITUK
I think the overall direction AMEX taking is correct. Remove the people that exploit loopholes in the cost of other paying members. There have been too much enthusiasm for people taking the welcome bonus, and taking two years of travel credits before cancelling the card. They probably have their stats and numbers. The money saved from losing to churning loophole taking customers likely outweigh the collateral damage of well-meaning customers and thus change happens.

A good change for AMEX is to allow those travel credits to roll-over for a two year period so it increase flexibility.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by painintheuk

Dr. PITUK
Just to be clear, you were trying to use what you expected to be your 2019 credit today, but were told you had already used it — presumably sometime after your June 2018 renewal date. If so, did you many to get a credit at some point between January and June 2018? If so, then you’re not actually missing out on anything — you just used your 2019 credit “early.”

However, if you didn’t obtain a credit earlier in 2018, then it’s definitely unfair and Amex should do something to make it right. And that’s coming from someone who agrees directionally with the latest policy change.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:20 pm

Hi ffsim,

I did use the credit back in May 2018 - before my renewal date. I renewed my card on the basis that the travel credits were done on a calendar year basis and I could book my flight last week and use my credit. Had it been renewal date basis, then I may not have renewed, but I wasn't given the choice. Based on the rules in place when the contract was put in place, I should have been able to use my credit on Jan 1. They changed the rules. Had I not renewed my card, then they couldn't have come after me for a credit used in good faith. I get 0 credits during my 'fiscal' (rather than calendar) 2019. Maybe my total life time credits can just be moved around and I can use my 2019 credit in September instead, but they no longer have my good faith.

At no point have I tried to 'flip' this card, and have only canceled in the past to move to a different country and back.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I called Amex on Thursday. I was told that I can't use my renewal until October.

That is terrible, I have only had the card a few years, but will cancel after this. The card is barely a good deal with the 1.25 points per dollar and Priority Pass. But I used to think the $200 I used every year anyhow, so it was a $700 - 200, so a $500 fee for Priority Pass. Don't think I will renew!

They say the credit will come in October. Problem is every year I use the credit in January and book for my annual March trip. This year I won't get the credit until October? Will I only get 3 months and then it will expire. Terrible change and poor communication on Amex's part.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by smilee
.... Will I only get 3 months and then it will expire. .....
Is that what they told you? If the credit is offered on an account anniversary year basis I would expect it to be available October 2019 - September 2020.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I also won't renew. 500$ for Hilton Gold, CC Gold and Priority Pass is not worth it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I also won't renew. 500$ for Hilton Gold, CC Gold and Priority Pass is not worth it.
agree that it's not worth it. They need to up the spending earnage (how about 5x on restaurants /groceries/etc that earns MR First points) or Prestige 25K status with Air Canada and maybe we'll start talking.

I will cancel mine after using the anniversary $200 travel credit but within 30 days after annual fee hits my account. Worst case is they claw back the $200 credit from the refund. There is now no upside in cancelling before annual fee hits to avoid the clawback of the second $200 travel credit with these changes in effect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.