Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwoods
Is there a way to use the 200 credit online without calling in? I am trying to book a hotel and I don't see that option anywhere.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by 1George
Is there a way to use the 200 credit online without calling in? I am trying to book a hotel and I don't see that option anywhere.
should be, after you login at AMEX Travel online
https://travel.americanexpress.ca/travel/arc.cfm?tab=h

You'll see an option to use $200 credit
I used it online for my hotel booking
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
should be, after you login at AMEX Travel online
https://travel.americanexpress.ca/travel/arc.cfm?tab=h

You'll see an option to use $200 credit
I used it online for my hotel booking
I went all the way to the payment detail page and it only gives me the option to pay with points or card. No travel credit.

Guess I will have to call in.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by 1George
I went all the way to the payment detail page and it only gives me the option to pay with points or card. No travel credit.

Guess I will have to call in.
you logged in with the Platinum account login?

If so, you should see a yellow box indicating credit
but if not, yes, call AMEX to book then
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
you logged in with the Platinum account login?

If so, you should see a yellow box indicating credit
but if not, yes, call AMEX to book then
Yes, I am. no option anywhere. Thanks for your assistance anyway!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:47 pm

I can only see it at the very end, after I've entered my CC number and all that stuff. Just before you confirm the transaction, there is an option that should appear, asking if you want to use your 200$ credit. And that is what worked for me.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:18 am

I've logged in as a Plat but cannot see the FHR listings, no matter what city I try. I did see them before with my old Plat card (earlier this year).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
I can only see it at the very end, after I've entered my CC number and all that stuff. Just before you confirm the transaction, there is an option that should appear, asking if you want to use your 200$ credit. And that is what worked for me.
Do you mean before one clicks on the "book now" button? I ask because I don't see any option appearing to use the credit before I'm prompted to click on that button. I fear that I won't be able to use my $200 credit online if I proceed beyond that point without seeing that option on the screen first. Calling in to book seems to be useless as well. The agents at American Express Travel Service don't seem to do a great job of picking the better value flights for Air Canada domestic business bookings.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by tommy99
I've logged in as a Plat but cannot see the FHR listings, no matter what city I try. I did see them before with my old Plat card (earlier this year).
I figured this out after a few hours of researching online lol. Use americanexpress.ca/travel and login and u should be able to see the FHR and pay with your credits.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:25 pm

Hi folks, I'm new here and joined just for this topic!

I own a business in Canada and I'm currently using a basic 1% cash-back (3% on the first $50k) card. A friend mentioned that I should look into the Platinum AmEx because my company spends well over $1MM/year on plastic. I ran some calculations on my existing cash-back program versus the Platinum points (assuming a CA $0.01 value per point), and the Platinum came out ahead. But what's holding me back is that I don't really travel much.

I know I'm on a forum for frequent flyers but anyone have any thoughts on this? The flexibility of cash is tough to beat... are the non-travel redemptions and benefits worthwhile?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by grissolio
Hi folks, I'm new here and joined just for this topic!

I own a business in Canada and I'm currently using a basic 1% cash-back (3% on the first $50k) card. A friend mentioned that I should look into the Platinum AmEx because my company spends well over $1MM/year on plastic. I ran some calculations on my existing cash-back program versus the Platinum points (assuming a CA $0.01 value per point), and the Platinum came out ahead. But what's holding me back is that I don't really travel much.

I know I'm on a forum for frequent flyers but anyone have any thoughts on this? The flexibility of cash is tough to beat... are the non-travel redemptions and benefits worthwhile?
Welcome to FT!

If you don't travel much, the Platinum may be overkill since most of its features are travel-related. They also account for a large chunk of the annual fee.

Maybe the Gold Rewards is a better bet. Your spend still ends up as Membership Rewards and some spend categories have earning multipliers. Have a look!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:28 pm

So i just pulled the trigger on the Platinum, will say I was somewhat impressed by the welcome package - but I guess if you're paying $700 they should send something more than just a white envelope.

I do hav a quick question about the $200 credit, I really would like to use it before the year ends. I was looking at booking a hotel for an evening in early 2016, however it would appear everything that came up was not prepay. Normally not an issue but I'd like to get the credit in as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make use of the credit with only a couple weeks left in the year?

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by iMedic
So i just pulled the trigger on the Platinum, will say I was somewhat impressed by the welcome package - but I guess if you're paying $700 they should send something more than just a white envelope.

I do hav a quick question about the $200 credit, I really would like to use it before the year ends. I was looking at booking a hotel for an evening in early 2016, however it would appear everything that came up was not prepay. Normally not an issue but I'd like to get the credit in as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make use of the credit with only a couple weeks left in the year?

Thanks
Just book the room through Personalized Travel Service and ask them to apply the credit to your account. Won't be a problem.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by iMedic

Thanks
or read the last few pages of this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...2015-a-96.html

Basically book a refundable, wait for $200 credit to show up, call AMEX or hotel to cancel the booking
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:50 am

Anyone else notice that the Amex Concierge phone number is no longer in service? You now need to call the customer service number, and push 3 for Concierge. Kind of annoying as I used to really like that as soon as I called the Concierge number, a human would (most of the time), pick-up right away. The past 2 times I've called the concierge now using the new system (where you have to first input your card number), I was on hold for a few minutes before finally getting through to the concierge (might have been coincidence though - not sure if this is indicative of fewer concierge employees or just bad timing with lots of calls).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.