Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:27 pm

I believe that as far as your FICO goes, it will negatively affect your average length of accounts open, but your payment history with the old card will still be on your credit reports and affect your credit (hopefully positively!) for 7 years. As far as Amex is concerned, you will still see "Member since 1999", especially if you cancel the old card after you open the new one. Personally, I would take the hit of a few points and cancel and then try to keep the everyday card and another no fee card open forever. Someone else might disagree. If you do cancel it, let us know what happens to your score. (I'm betting not much...I might be wrong!)

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducatio...yourscore.aspx
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by tomcanada22
Question. I want to cancel my old Amex Gold card as I no longer use it much and it carries an annual fee. I've had this card for over 15 yrs now and is the bulk of my credit history. Most of my other CC have almost no credit history as I open and close them within 9 mths to a yr after getting bonus.

Plan on applying for the Amex Everyday CC as it don't have Annual fee. Tried to convert to this card from my Gold Amex but rep said can't be done.
If I cancel the old Gold card and open the new Everyday card, will I lose my 15+ years of credit history or will the new card retain my long credit history?

Thanks
Yup, it sucks as Amex have been changing so many rules lately that I can't keep track. No more sign on bonus for repeat cards, No downgrading of cards to other no fee cards etc.
I have not read any changes with credit history with Amex. Although I'm fairly certain Amex still keeps the original date for credit history based on your 1st acct, Truth is I'm no longer 100% sure if thats true anymore with Amex. Anyone read anything different can chime in.
Otherwise sign up for one of the Amex no fee cards and they should automatically base the card history from your original card 15 yrs ago keeping your credit history alive.
Only thing I won't do is cancel your old card until AFTER you are approved for the new card just in case.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:20 pm

I cancelled a Business Gold and got an Everyday Card and can confirm that on my account it kept the same date on the "Amex Customer Since ..." date. There was also no problem with keeping my Member Rewards.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by MikeOWave
I cancelled a Business Gold and got an Everyday Card and can confirm that on my account it kept the same date on the "Amex Customer Since ..." date. There was also no problem with keeping my Member Rewards.
Did you have to take any action to keep your points or did Amex automatically link the 2 accounts?

Last edited by pssteve; Jun 22, 2014 at 9:14 pm Reason: sp
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:06 pm

They autolinked for both me and my mom's accounts before the physical cards even arrived. It's easy.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In the USA linking new cards to the established Membership Rewards account is the norm, eve in you do not identify yourself as an existing cardholder during the application process. It is simplicity itself to verify that the card has been added to the same account, there is no need to wait until any points have been earned or posted, and if it hasn't happened customer service can fix it.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE on the missing 10K bonus

So the 2nd statement closed, there is still no trace of the bonus. Since it has been already 9 weeks after meeting spend, passed the AMEX party line of 6 to 8 week wait, I called last Thursday. A Philippines based rep said he would open an investigation. I also replied to a previous message which the rep confirmed the eligibility among other things, shortly after card opened.

Well, today I got a CANNED reply from the message rep who told me bonus would be posted 6 to 8 weeks after spend requirement was met - regardless she was replying to my follow up inquiry that gave the spend date (April 14) AND the previous chat rep's Chat ID reference, that she told me to contact AMEX if bonus not showing up in due course, contact AMEX and "we" would manually post it.

Annoyed, I logged in to see if chat was available. Once connected I gave the chat rep the details - date met spend, previous chat ID, and the fact now it is almost 10 weeks passed and still no sign of bonus, not to mention the Canned Reply I just got to repeat the 6 to 8 weeks wait. Luckily this rep understood. He went to talk to his supervisor and came back shortly to inform me the bonus is issued and would be on next statement...

I insisted the bonus can be on next statement to become available, but I want to see it now in Pending. I dont want to keep following up on this if for whatever reason it is a no show again. To his credit, he agreed to confer with his supervisor. Took a long time but he came back once to inform me "we are in the process to release it." Finally he came back to tell me it would be 48 to 72 hours for the bonus to show up but it is issued. I then logged in and saw the bonus posted, finally.

While it ends well, it is frustrating why others who applied and met spend around the same time, first half of April, saw theirs at or around their first statement. Some applied in May saw theirs posted a few days after meeting spend. Yet for unknown glitches, mine has taken a lot of efforts to finally get it.

BTW, on all follow ups, every time every one said the bonus offer was attached to the card. Why it did not post automatically like others cards, I have no idea.

Oh, regardless the Philippines based phone rep said he would open an investigation - it was no where to be found in the record. The rep who replied my inquiry obviously did not see any. The chat rep today also did not see such. Basically the "investigation" ticket either is never open or falls into AMEX system black hole.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
UPDATE on the missing 10K bonus

Hi Happy,
Not sure if this is your first Amex card or had one in the past or still have one open.
Just curious if your new Amex card reflect your old credit history with Amex? Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomcanada22
Hi Happy,
Not sure if this is your first Amex card or had one in the past or still have one open.
Just curious if your new Amex card reflect your old credit history with Amex? Thanks
All AMEX cards after your first one would pick up your original date when you get your first AMEX card, even if you have a period in between not having any AMEX card.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
^ Happy, if you don't have a reference number for the dispute, it doesn't exist.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
^ Happy, if you don't have a reference number for the dispute, it doesn't exist.
I did ask for that last week when the Filippino rep told me he was putting the investigation on my account and "if you called tomorrow, the phone rep should be able to tell you the reference number." I did not question it though I suspected he was just putting me off. That was why I dug up the old message exchanged shortly after card opened that AMEX replied the card was attached to the offer, sent a reply on that with all the pertinent data to inquire once more where was the bonus.

Had I not received the Canned Reply I probably would just wait a bit more to call. That Canned Reply irked me to no end when all the writer said was "Please note the bonus would post 6 to 8 weeks after spend requirement is met." - showing completely the writer has not even read thru my inquiry and just does a copy/paste formality reply. After close the chat I praised the current chat rep on the survey but also gave AMEX a 7, that brought up the box for me to write my complaint in. Whether any computer software would pick up the key words for statistical analysis only God would know, but it gives me a small satisfaction.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:14 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Does CVS and Walgreens count as supermarkets?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
Does CVS and Walgreens count as supermarkets?
They code as drug stores for Blue Cash, so doubt if they code as supermarkets here.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Amex tried to deny my wife the 15,000 point bonus on the Preferred card because she already has 2 other Amex cards. They relented when I canceled her Premier Rewards Gold card, but be careful. They seem to be cracking down on these bonuses.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Valveking
Amex tried to deny my wife the 15,000 point bonus on the Preferred card because she already has 2 other Amex cards. They relented when I canceled her Premier Rewards Gold card, but be careful. They seem to be cracking down on these bonuses.
They should check the latest T&Cs on the Chase cards. Very clear-cut language for when and how one would receive another bonus. Chase took this from AMEX' ambiguous language in the past and made it clear and precise. Kudo to Chase which will keep the bulk of its customers who have a plethora of Chase products to choose from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.