Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Tronic
Alright. Any idea how to opt-in to prescreened Amex offers? I did the prescreen opt-out when it first came out but reversed it 3-4 years ago but the only offers I ever get are discover.
Opt in to all 3 bureaus?
https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t
Old May 26, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tronic
My partner just received a targeted 100k business plat offer in the mail and I'm wondering if I can use the referral code for myself?

She's trying to rebuild her credit at the moment so we don't want to apply in her name. She has a dormant business that's registered to our shared address but there's not a tax ID or business bank account for any type of verification.

My only Amex is a personal SPG. Is this possible or are they really strict about the target matching the applicant?
Just as anecdotal point as conventional wisdom seems to be no. I used a 100k Business Platinum targeted offer to my fiancee in April this year- we share the same address and apartment but used my name on the application. Received bonus no issue.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by eltajin
Just as anecdotal point as conventional wisdom seems to be no. I used a 100k Business Platinum targeted offer to my fiancee in April this year- we share the same address and apartment but used my name on the application. Received bonus no issue.
Did you receive the hard pull, or did she?
There was a report of a user mistakingly posting her SPG offer on here and when she went to use the application... It was already used and a HP on her report.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:59 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by tnpatterson
Tried doing this awhile back. My brother's cat (!!!) had received a 100k Amex Plat offer. Obviously the cat isn't going to be applying for a card any time soon, so I tried to use the offer. Didn't work. At all. Application said it was pending further information. I took a couple days following up on it and American Express' fraud department kept calling me and leaving vaguely threatening messages.

Eventually called in and was repeatedly told they wanted to speak with "Eleanor," and when I explained there was no "Eleanor" at the residence, they said the offer was only for "Eleanor" (again -- a cat!) and that I could not apply for it, and they would be canceling my application. This despite using all my personal information on the online application.

I wouldn't bother applying -- not worth the credit pull.

PS. I wondered for a while how my brother's cat could have gotten on American Express' radar. And the only thing I can come up with is that my brother added her as an authorized user on a United card some years ago for the AU bonus. Not sure I like that Chase shared "her" information with, well, anyone. Let alone another bank!
lmao... are you serious? how's that even possible... I thought adding someone as an AU required their SSN... did your bro just pull a random SSN out of the air for the cat?

and if so, I'm sure Amex must have done some due diligence to try and match up the SSN to its actual owner before sending out the targeted offer. doesnt make any sense if they didnt or dont have 'Eleanor' tied to any particular SSN.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by FTRox87
lmao... are you serious? how's that even possible... I thought adding someone as an AU required their SSN...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-no-ssn.html
Old May 28, 2014, 12:22 pm

Yea you can add your dog if you want as an AU. If you do add someone that lives in your house though, they can match up the addresses that way and that's how it will get onto your AU's credit report.

I did a little experiment where I added my gf at the time (now fiancee) to my Amex gold and only had to give her name. But the account ended up on her credit report somehow, later I learned that it was because we had the same address and they can find her credit report that way.

http://yourpfpro.com/case-study-buil...thorized-user/
Old May 28, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by eltajin
Interesting, I have a 100k targeted plat offer for my bro that he doesn't want but the address is our parent's house. I wonder if the address even matters though. I may try and apply for the card using my parents' address which is also listed on the app.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Interesting, I have a 100k targeted plat offer for my bro that he doesn't want but the address is our parent's house. I wonder if the address even matters though. I may try and apply for the card using my parents' address which is also listed on the app.
Your CR has to have that address listed or else you're in for a whole lot of address verification issues.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
Your CR has to have that address listed or else you're in for a whole lot of address verification issues.
It does, I think I might try it with my parents' address since that's the same address listed on my bro's targeted offer.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Name change

Has anyone successfully changed first name on the targeted offer? Everything else matches (last name, address). There is no one with the first name listed on the application, it's just a fictitious person.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:21 pm

Ok I ended up trying this. To recap, my bro got a targeted plat offer for 100k. I applied anyways since it was to our parents address (which is listed on my credit report) and even though it said his name when I pulled up the app, there was a place to change the name on the card, so I went ahead and put my name in.

Applied and got an e-mail saying they needed more info to verify my app. Couldn't check the status online so had to call in and the rep told me that the credit report they pulled didn't match my SS (my real SS). So looks like the targeted offers are somehow tied to SS or credit report so I may have accidentally done a hard inquiry on my bro's CR. Whoops. Oh well, live and learn.

I might try again with the next targeted offer not addressed to me and call in this time and try to come up with some story. I've heard this works but never done it first hand.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Ok I ended up trying this. To recap, my bro got a targeted plat offer for 100k. I applied anyways since it was to our parents address (which is listed on my credit report) and even though it said his name when I pulled up the app, there was a place to change the name on the card, so I went ahead and put my name in.

Applied and got an e-mail saying they needed more info to verify my app. Couldn't check the status online so had to call in and the rep told me that the credit report they pulled didn't match my SS (my real SS). So looks like the targeted offers are somehow tied to SS or credit report so I may have accidentally done a hard inquiry on my bro's CR. Whoops. Oh well, live and learn.

I might try again with the next targeted offer not addressed to me and call in this time and try to come up with some story. I've heard this works but never done it first hand.
So you only changed the name on the card and not the name on the application also? That should have been your first sign this was a no-no.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
A coworker got one of the 100K MR bonus offers for the Business Platinum in the mail and didn't want it and offered it to me. The only thing that the referral code automatically filled out was the business address and it let me change that. I applied with all my own personal and business (sole proprietorship) info and it told me to call after I submitted it. Once I called up and verified some information I was approved. CSR confirmed I would be getting the 100K MR bonus with the $10K spend in three months which is no problem for me. I already have the personal Platinum so I plan on just canceling it.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:31 pm

how can i use over a RSVP code online more then once

lets say i have a 75k gold business RSVP i want to use it for me and my wife how can i use it more than once online

or does anybody know any other way that there is possible to get 100k platinum and 75k gold business applications online

there must be some way

thanks

PM me if you know any way that you dont want to post in public

thanks a ton for all of this wonderful community

Last edited by mia; Jul 8, 2014 at 6:20 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
just call AMEX and ask them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.