Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:19 am
Original Poster

We got a targeted american express gold CC offer in the mail.
I quickly opened the offer and then realized that it had our address - but someone else's name.
It was not for any of our neighbours - so I have no idea how they messed that up.
Anyway the offer looks good - 50K MR points - annual free waived - requires $1K spend in 3 months.
It has a RSVP code.
I tried it online - to see if it would pop up with that perons name - and it didn't.
Is this RSVP code tied to that person - or would I beable to use it?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:05 am

Have you tried calling AMEX to see if they will let you use it?

Alternatively, assuming that no personal information is pre-filled, it seems that from a practical perspective, there is nothing stopping you from applying and qualifying for the offer.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by path2
We got a targeted american express gold CC offer in the mail.
I quickly opened the offer and then realized that it had our address - but someone else's name.
It was not for any of our neighbours - so I have no idea how they messed that up.
Anyway the offer looks good - 50K MR points - annual free waived - requires $1K spend in 3 months.
It has a RSVP code.
I tried it online - to see if it would pop up with that perons name - and it didn't.
Is this RSVP code tied to that person - or would I beable to use it?
Targeted offer came to my house as well but it just said to the "Resident" so I applied for it, it worked, and I have my bonus points from the offer as well .

Cheers,
krpjr
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:22 pm

Just applied to a targeted offer in the mail. They actually got my name slightly wrong on the mailing.

But the application asks specifically for your name/ssn and I entered the correct name. But it didn't ask for an address so they likely had it on file with the offer code.

I got approved instantly.

However, when they addressed me on the approval/welcome e-mail, they used the incorrect name that was on the mailing, not the one I entered in the app. I'll have to get that changed if that's how it actually comes on the account, but in my case it wasn't a totally different name.

Let us know what happens if you try it
Old May 12, 2013, 1:36 am

I just applied for an Amex platinum offer that came to my address on someone else's name. I got the message that said we will will let you know in 14 days by mail about our decision message when I applied. I also got a email addressing me as the same name as the mailing.

Should I call in a couple days to the reconsideration line? It's a 100K Platinum offer, so I'd love to get approved.

Thanks for the help.

Dopey
Old May 13, 2013, 6:47 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Immediate call to Customer service recommended

I would recommend an immediate call to customer service!

If they send you an E-Mail that they will decide within 14 days and using the false name they may have overseen some of the entries you have made.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by krpjr
Targeted offer came to my house as well but it just said to the "Resident" so I applied for it, it worked, and I have my bonus points from the offer as well .

Cheers,
krpjr
Thanks! I have been looking for a first hand datapoint on this, have heard every possible speculative answer on whether I could use my wife's 75K for 2K spend business Gold. Will pull the trigger on it and report here.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:20 am

No dice for me. It pre populated her business name (which was not on any of the paperwork) and the banner showed no bonus. Will wait for a public offer.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:51 am

Applying for a targeted offer not meant for you

My wife actually just received a targeted offer in email for an AMEX GOLD premier rewards card. She will not be able to apply for it right now but is it possible for me to use that rsvp code and apply myself? Please suggest.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See recent posts in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...right-now.html
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:35 am

I had the same with a great Business Gold card, couldn't use it.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:55 pm

Scary/Odd occurrence when applying for (someone else's) targeted Amex Offer

Received a targeted offer for an Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card for a family member but at our address (they do not, nor have they ever, lived here). They also do not have any current relationship with Amex. After doing a few searches and finding folks having success with using others Amex RSVP codes I decided to apply. I used only my information.

Submitted and informed it was pending and they needed further information. I called the number provided and they verified some information, everything matched up. She then said the name didn't match and referenced the family member name. At this point I'm getting a bit worried and politely ask if they can just cancel the application. She says she can only do that if the family member calls in. She went on to say that my credit was not pulled but his was!! I was shocked. I had never provided any social but my own. I was very adament that I used only my information and my social. She quickly back tracked and said that she would cancel it and that the family member did not need to call in. I have no idea what the true story is on this but I have to say I have learned my lesson not to use a targeted code meant for anyone else. Probably should have known that from the beginning but my greed got the better of me. I was in App O Rama mode and not using the best judgement.

Has anyone had this happen, do you think there is anything I need to be concerned about or should look into further?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Angry

Originally Posted by Mihiker
Received a targeted offer for an Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card for a family member but at our address (they do not, nor have they ever, lived here). They also do not have any current relationship with Amex. After doing a few searches and finding folks having success with using others Amex RSVP codes I decided to apply. I used only my information.

Submitted and informed it was pending and they needed further information. I called the number provided and they verified some information, everything matched up. She then said the name didn't match and referenced the family member name. At this point I'm getting a bit worried and politely ask if they can just cancel the application. She says she can only do that if the family member calls in. She went on to say that my credit was not pulled but his was!! I was shocked. I had never provided any social but my own. I was very adament that I used only my information and my social. She quickly back tracked and said that she would cancel it and that the family member did not need to call in. I have no idea what the true story is on this but I have to say I have learned my lesson not to use a targeted code meant for anyone else. Probably should have known that from the beginning but my greed got the better of me. I was in App O Rama mode and not using the best judgement.

Has anyone had this happen, do you think there is anything I need to be concerned about or should look into further?
Wonder how they targeted offer get to your place of residence when this family member never lived there? They might have used that address for some reason or the other. I would probably not look into it any further, however this relative might have an inquiry.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by Mihiker

Submitted and informed it was pending and they needed further information.
I would have just been closer to the truth with something like 'my brother/sister got this and gave me their code'. They might well have let you have it. If they don't you are less worse off than having been 'caught' and cancelling anyway.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
I would have just been closer to the truth with something like 'my brother/sister got this and gave me their code'. They might well have let you have it. If they don't you are less worse off than having been 'caught' and cancelling anyway.
That would have made a lot more sense but I got nervous!

The offer was for 50k points with a pretty low spend and first year fee waived. Standard offer is 25k points so not huge, but would have topped off my Delta account nicely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.