Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Yeah, I ended up giving up and just apply for the 50k BRG offer. Not worth the 25k risk applying under another name. Doesn't look like Amex wants anyone sharing business offers.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Same for those ... the First and Last name can not be changed
I just used someone else's BRG mailer code (and zip) and changed to my info 4 days ago, I was approved and already received the card
Old May 23, 2017, 4:57 pm

Any luck trying to apply for a BRG mailer that has already expired? My friend gave me one that expired 5/10/17. Is it any good?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:10 pm

Has anyone try to use the RSVP code for Amex business mailer after the expiration date? I know it wont work to apply online, but will the CSR be willing to consider an expired RSVP code and let you apply under the same offer terms?

Asking this because I may not be able to apply before the expiration date (bc need to space out apps, etc)
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Received Targeted Hilton Honors Amex Card, can spouse use it?

In light of all the recent Amex/Citi shutdowns, does anyone know if I can use Amex mailer twice? I received Hilton Amex 100K offer with no lifetime language. Successfully used code and approved for card for myself. I tried entering the RSVP code again and I was successful at pulling up application page. Wondering if I can have my spouse apply for same offer. She has already had this Amex card once.

I am tempted but I don't want to risk shutdown? Any data points whether I should proceed or not?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under the circumstances, absent an affirmative "yes" from Amex, not from anybody else, I would not do this.

Remember that 30 days ago if you had asked regarding Citi/AA, you would have been mocked for asking. Not so much today.

Nobody here can tell you what Amex is contemplating.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:50 pm

Amex plat business app

I’ve seen a lot of postings with various offers for the plat business. How likely will the app get denied if you applied via a link that was from someone who was targeted? Would they just deny your application or approve you then deny pts?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hqly2001
I....offers for the plat business.....
Have you previously held a Business Platinum card? How recently did you close it?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Have you previously held a Business Platinum card? How recently did you close it?
yes, i got the business plat about 5-6 yrs ago and closed it a year later. I saw a couple offer links on one of the Travel website. 1 had that language if you had the card before then you are not eligible. Another card doesn’t but they both appear to be targeted offered to the poster.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 7:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Three considerations:

1) Many targeted offers require the applicant to login. If you login and see This Offer is No Longer Available (or similar) it means you were not targeted for that offer.

2) If you are not eligible for any bonus you may see a pop-up telling you that you can apply without a bonus.

You may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer if you have or have had this Card or previous versions of this Card. You also may not be eligible to receive a welcome offer based on various factors, such as your history with credit card balance transfers, your history as an American Express Card Member, the number of credit cards that you have opened and closed and other factors. If you are not eligible for a welcome offer, we will notify you prior to processing your application so you have the option to withdraw your application
3) If you apply and do not see a popup there is still a possibility that the bonus would not be awarded, or could be awarded and retracted due to this language in the terms, but I think this is an infrequent occurrence:

​​​​​​​If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with this offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain an offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit, we may freeze, or we may take away Membership Rewards® points from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by mia
Three considerations:

1) Many targeted offers require the applicant to login. If you login and see This Offer is No Longer Available (or similar) it means you were not targeted for that offer.

2) If you are not eligible for any bonus you may see a pop-up telling you that you can apply without a bonus.

3) If you apply and do not see a popup there is still a possibility that the bonus would not be awarded, or could be awarded and retracted due to this language in the terms, but I think this is an infrequent occurrence:
thanks Mia. I guess i can take the chance. Hopefully it wont give me option 1 or 2. Can i assume if approved and im able to confirm bonus with rel when activating that i’m going to receive the bonus?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:26 pm

Used Amex Biz plat mail offer for another business

At the end of last year, my friend received a targeted mail offer of 130 points/$15,000 for her business in another city.
I was able to put in the offer code and change the information to myself. The application went through and I did not see any life time message or pop-up window.
However, a couple of weeks after spending $15000, I did not see any bonus points posted to my account.
I was able to chat with AMex but do not want to draw too much attention to the application.
Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by aiurforever
At the end of last year, my friend received a targeted mail offer of 130 points/$15,000 for her business in another city.
I was able to put in the offer code and change the information to myself. The application went through and I did not see any life time message or pop-up window.
However, a couple of weeks after spending $15000, I did not see any bonus points posted to my account.
I was able to chat with AMex but do not want to draw too much attention to the application.
Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Thanks
Are you sure you spent $15k? The annual fee on the card does not count towards that total. A lot of people understandably include that because they count their progress by the total balance on their account.

I have used a Biz Plat mailer for someone else twice (once for myself and once for a friend) and had zero issues with the bonus posting- the most recent one was in early 2023.

Last edited by DCJoe1; Jan 19, 2024 at 12:32 pm Reason: More info.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Are you sure you spent $15k? The annual fee on the card does not count towards that total. A lot of people understandably include that because they count their progress by the total balance on their account.

I have used a Biz Plat mailer for someone else twice (once for myself and once for a friend) and had zero issues with the bonus posting- the most recent one was in early 2023.
The spending is 15025 so far, after the fee and Dell/airline credits. It was completed 6 days ago.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Also make sure it doesnt have any Cash like equivalents like Gift cards etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.