Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Amex F/X scam continues-- time to contact Spitzer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Amex F/X scam continues-- time to contact Spitzer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
If you want a credit card to use for different currencies then get one that doesn't charge a conversion fee or cash advance fee at all. There are a few cards around which give you the bank rate with no markup.

Amex is not one of them.

Have a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index....reign_Exchange
Unfortunately, we are all AAdvantage junkies, so if the card doesn't provide AA or SPG miles (or something that can be converted into AA miles) then no one will use it.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by Capite
Unfortunately, we are all AAdvantage junkies, so if the card doesn't provide AA or SPG miles (or something that can be converted into AA miles) then no one will use it.
In the UK, Amex charges 2.73% comission on non Sterling transactions. In addition to this, there is a £3 or 3% charge on cash advances on your Amex.

Get the right card and you don't pay any of these charges - that's the equivalent of a fair wad of cashback on your foreign transactions - I haven't yet seen a card reward scheme which can compete with cold hard cash in my hand.

Of course, if you are charging up large amounts and claiming it back from your company on expenses then you are better off with a card which adds a large commission and "rewards" you in other ways.

You don't get something for nothing though....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.