Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Amex F/X scam continues-- time to contact Spitzer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Amex F/X scam continues-- time to contact Spitzer?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:17 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Ok after reading this thread, I checked my last SPG Amex statement and noticed discrepancies in the 2% fee so I contacted American Express. When others have called to dispute the exchange rate did AMEX temporarily remove the charge from your account? I called regarding 4 transactions and they were all temporarily removed. I think I might call AMEX back to verify that they understand I am not disputing the charge, but their currency conversion.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by kluau88
Ok after reading this thread, I checked my last SPG Amex statement and noticed discrepancies in the 2% fee so I contacted American Express. When others have called to dispute the exchange rate did AMEX temporarily remove the charge from your account? I called regarding 4 transactions and they were all temporarily removed. I think I might call AMEX back to verify that they understand I am not disputing the charge, but their currency conversion.
Being at work I don't have access to my statements, but I decided to do a charge from yesterday as an example.

Called Centurion Services, they did the math, and agreed I had been overcharged by about $2. Instant credit to the account. Again, it's the principle. I'll be curious to see when I get home and dig out the statements how common this is on larger things like hotels.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by zeikka
Do you mean that I would have to speficy every single charge that I want them to investigate? I don't have the patience or energy (exactly what they seem to count on) to go over hundreds of transactions that can be anywhere from few pound charges at London Starbucks to $1000+ for longer hotel stays in Australia.

Since I am lazy, I am hoping that there is some place just to call and have them "investigate" all my overseas charges for the past few years.

--zeikka--
This is what I did for one trip to Argentina... where the overcharges were particularly outrageous. I put together a spreadsheet, showed the source of my conversation rates, etc., and ended up getting over $200 back!!

There appears to be a method to their madness.... I have found most problems in countries experiencing volatility in exchange rates. Perhaps they think cardholders won't be any the wiser. In contrast, I've found the conversion rates in Hong Kong (with minimal USD/HKD exchange rate volatility) to be nearly spot on.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
There appears to be a method to their madness.... I have found most problems in countries experiencing volatility in exchange rates. Perhaps they think cardholders won't be any the wiser. In contrast, I've found the conversion rates in Hong Kong (with minimal USD/HKD exchange rate volatility) to be nearly spot on.
I went through and did an audit of my charges from the last year over USD 100, and the place I found the most problems was with the EUR and CAD. Both were regularly off by at least 0.5% - and you're right, I couldn't find a single HKD transaction off by more than 0.1%. THB and ZAR were off from 0.3 and 0.5%.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:52 am
KVU

Programs: Ex AmEx Cent, Ex BA/AmEx Premium Plus, Mastercard World Signia, HH Gold VIP, HPG Diamond, SPG Gold
I did three transaction last wednesday for various US dollar amounts under $200 and found that the exchange rate I got was 1.605 to change GBP into $US. I think I will be calling amex to investigate that, but in the mean time could someone inform me whether the rate I got was ok. The transactions were placed last wednesday and saturday and they appeared on my statement on Monday.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:55 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by KVU
I did three transaction last wednesday for various US dollar amounts under $200 and found that the exchange rate I got was 1.605 to change GBP into $US. I think I will be calling amex to investigate that, but in the mean time could someone inform me whether the rate I got was ok. The transactions were placed last wednesday and saturday and they appeared on my statement on Monday.
Sounds like you got hit pretty hard.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory

06/16/2004 1.83170
06/19/2004 1.83920

Check your terms and conditions to see how much loading they should apply to the transaction, in the UK it is 2.75% it may be different for USA cards.

Also remember that if you get a cash advance then they will charge you an extra commission on that, once again, check your T&Cs.

I don't agree with HKG_Flyer1, I have a GBP card and EURO transactions have often been over charged by 4% or more. These are not what you would call volatile currencies!
Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:15 pm
KVU

Programs: Ex AmEx Cent, Ex BA/AmEx Premium Plus, Mastercard World Signia, HH Gold VIP, HPG Diamond, SPG Gold
Hi Ex Amex Card

Nice to meet you by the way, even if it in cyber space.

I didn't take a cash advance, it was a paypal purcahse. Paypal charge the transaction on the AmEx card in US Dollars. They charged 160 odd dollars and AmEx converted it into 100.50 which equated to a rate of 1.605.

Seems I will be complaining again tomorrow.

Thanks

Kiran
Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
one more follow-up to my story.
it occurred to me, that although AMEX refunded the overcharged amounts to me, that because some of the charges went back more than a year, that i had also paid a finance charge.

the way i see it is, AMEX stole money from me, and then charged me interest on the stolen money!

so, i had to call twice more to explain this and request a refund. they told me today that they will post this refund for the APR as a "goodwill" adjustment.

for me, it's not a large sum, perhaps a couple of dollars, but it's the principle involved. for others, with hundreds of dollars in "mistakes", perhaps the finance charge becomes a bigger issue.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by rives21
for me, it's not a large sum, perhaps a couple of dollars, but it's the principle involved. for others, with hundreds of dollars in "mistakes", perhaps the finance charge becomes a bigger issue.
It is an issue. American Express has millions of customers. If the average "over-charge" is $10.00, then you are looking at millions of dollars in extra profits.

As such, American Express knows only a small percentage of people will bother to complain about $2.00 here or $5.00 there. And the ones they do have to credit is not going to hurt their profits, because the goal here is overcharging on volume.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
Lots of cards charge a percentage commission when you take out a cash advance with the card. You need to check the Terms & Conditions of your card very carefully. It does sound like you have been hit with the exchange rate scam too though.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Thanks for your advice. I did carefully explain that it was an ATM withdrawal and the reply from Chase was that it did not get booked as a cash advance. I haven't had more time to check but I will try to find out from HSBC what they really charge.

Has anyone else checked on the rates of their ATM withdrawals?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
...I literally had to walk them through the cardholder agreement...
The AmEx agreement is large, but I had no idea it was getting to the point where you could walk through it. They need to pare it down.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I had a recnt charge in Indian Rupees for $8,600 that recently came thru at $9,300 translated in Hong Kong Dollars.

WOW.

One call to AMEX and a credit was provided pending an investiagtion...bu tthat's a whopping difference.

I think there's something institutional about thes ripoffs.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've made a point, of late, to generally NOT use my US-billed Amex card outside the US. I did notice, however, that a couple of charges that I did make in Iceland show up on my online bill only listing a $US total. I assume that they still print the amount of the charged currency on the printed bill, eh? I deliberately made 3 charges on 3 credit cards on the same day at the same merchant in Iceland to see the differences in exchange rates, BTW.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 1:09 pm
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
It's interesting to see that there are American card issuers who only charge 1% loading. In the UK, almost every Visa and MasterCard adds 2.75% to the interbank rate when making foreign currency transactions. The only exception to this that I know of is the Nationwide Visa which gives the interbank rate with no loading.
There are now five UK card issuers who don't charge 2.75%. See this page.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I audited my statements back to 98. Out of 121 transactions totalling $12043.44, I made $28.08 over AMEX. My conversion was done using the interbank USD to Foreign Currency rate times 0.98 to reflect the plus 2% AMEX levies.

EUR seems to vary from they charging me less than they ought (0.5% discount) to overcharging by 1.5%.

AMEX seems to have given me a 2.45% discount on JPY back in 98 but hit me with interbank plus 6.5% on PKR last year. Looks like low-volume currencies have the worst rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.