Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Amex F/X scam continues-- time to contact Spitzer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Amex F/X scam continues-- time to contact Spitzer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:17 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Do you think we need to supply all card numbers? If so, on a single form? Just the latest number? It doesn't really say, though I could call the number on the papers...
Yeah, Amex really should know all of your other card numbers, so you shouldn't have to, but who knows. I tried calling the number, and it's just tons of prerecorded stuff. I realized it won't be easy to find those old numbers, so I probably won't bother. Seems like an awful lot of work for maybe $20 more. There's no way in hell that Amex is going to reach that $70 million payout, IMO.

Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
This website is virtually nothing except a form which asks for your card numbers and billing address and send it to a PO Box Address.

Does this ring alarm bells with anyone else?
Well, you should also receive a paper mailing. The toll free number works. And the site whois lists American Express as the registrant. I was a little skeptical of the aexp.com, but americanexpress.com has the same contacts listed.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:47 pm
In Memoriam

Just today I received notice about either the same or a similar class action case, Edward LiPuma vs. American Express Company, et al. It relates to foreign conversion fees charged between February 1, 1999 and October 15, 2004. Info on that can be found here: http://www.lipumasettlement.com

Are these cases the same? If I belong to the class of this one will I be excluded from the other one?

Also, it asks for my account number on the class action member form. I assume that my account number is the same even though my card number has changed a couple of times and that they'll be able to figure it out. Opinions?
got mine today too!
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
I have all of my Amex account numbers (corporate, platinum, starwood, and delta), but do I need to submit just one form or 4 separate forms? I tried calling the phone number but didn't find the answer. Is anyone submitting multiple forms or are you just listing all of your account numbers on one?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Does anyone have any more info on the setlement, particularly with regard to multiple accounts & submission of multiple forms? (see above)
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Anyone from the UK claiming this as well?
Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
There is a Class Action under way now. I keep getting letters from them, referring to the "LiPuma Settlement", although it may be specific to only one country (Turkey is mentioned).
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:20 pm

Does anyone have any more info on the setlement, particularly with regard to multiple accounts & submission of multiple forms? (see above)
xyzzy,

While I haven't heard anything directly from LiPuma, my company told all corporate card holders to submit separate forms for each account. However, after I read the settlement, I'm not sure this is necessary.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by PhilC
I have all of my Amex account numbers (corporate, platinum, starwood, and delta), but do I need to submit just one form or 4 separate forms? I tried calling the phone number but didn't find the answer. Is anyone submitting multiple forms or are you just listing all of your account numbers on one?
I believe all of your AMEX cards are linked in their records (after all, each one gives the same "member since" date), so if you give them one number (probably your charge card rather than one of the credit cards) they can locate the rest automatically.

That said, I'm submitting one claim, but annotating the numbers of all of my AMEX card accounts on that claim.

P.S. I'm not sure if that includes corporate cards (I don't have one), since they may be linked to the company rather than to you personally.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:50 pm

I just found out about the Lipuma settlement last week since I am overseas and not seeing my mail. It seems that this means it is too late to opt out of the settlement because of the Feb 14 deadline.

When did the actual mailing reach most of you?

Any significant reasons to go with one of the other suits/claims?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:42 pm

Location: WashDC - AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Cal Tort Burrito Elito
What's AMEX' F/X practice going forward?

OK, so the class action settlement may take care of these previous issues, but what is their current practice - are they actually following their T&Cs? Any recent experiences to report? Should I just skip AMEX in favor of DC/MC or some other MC or Visa when I travel to Europe next month?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:26 am
Original Member

Just used it in Canada as a test and they're still charging 2% plus a bad exchange rate.

QL
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QuietLion
Just used it in Canada as a test and they're still charging 2% plus a bad exchange rate.

QL
I have always felt that American Express uses a bad rate for foreign exchange transactions, this thread makes me see that I'm not alone. Will be using my Capital One M/C for foreign purchases (market rate conversion, no 1% fee).
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Recently on a trip to Israel, Amex was giving me 4.4 NIS/$, while the bank gave me 4.49NIS/$ on ATM withdrawl, including whatever fee they tacked on for using a foreign ATM.

Given that CC companies already get 2-3%, I find it outrageous that they charge this fee.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Anything recent?

Does anyone have any updated info on this? I'm getting an SPG Amex for myself, and thinking about getting one for my company. We will use it overseas very often. Is it a bad idea? Or has AMEX mended their ways?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:46 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by Capite
Does anyone have any updated info on this? I'm getting an SPG Amex for myself, and thinking about getting one for my company. We will use it overseas very often. Is it a bad idea? Or has AMEX mended their ways?
If you want a credit card to use for different currencies then get one that doesn't charge a conversion fee or cash advance fee at all. There are a few cards around which give you the bank rate with no markup.

Amex is not one of them.

Have a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index....reign_Exchange

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.