Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Amex F/X scam continues-- time to contact Spitzer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Amex F/X scam continues-- time to contact Spitzer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Doppy
Seems like the Brits pay a higher fee. My statement points out that a 2% fee is added to my foriegn currency transactions.
We always do. Being ripped off is a national sport.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
recent experience with a US based Amex card

I have the SPG Amex card, and used it on a recent trip abroad. I was charged 2-3% commission on my overseas charges, which I calculated this way:

FX Amount
_______________________________________________ = native amount
(interbank rate for that date Amex recorded the charge)

(Amount charged by amex) - (native amount)
______________________________________ = commission percentage
(native amount)

This was for THB (2%), HKD (2%), LKR (3%).
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
There is now a class action suit for you join!!!

Well, American Express continued to over charge me for some purchases made in South African Rand this week. I called them about it and spoke with another supervisor, who said she would do something about it - but I doubt it.

Anyhow, I found a law firm in California that is currently engaged in a class action suit against American Express for this practice. Details can be found at:

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/american-express-fees.htm

Some of the posters on this discussion thread may want to consider joining that suit.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rives21
Anyhow, I found a law firm in California that is currently engaged in a class action suit against American Express for this practice. Details can be found at:

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/american-express-fees.htm

Some of the posters on this discussion thread may want to consider joining that suit.
Just today I received notice about either the same or a similar class action case, Edward LiPuma vs. American Express Company, et al. It relates to foreign conversion fees charged between February 1, 1999 and October 15, 2004. Info on that can be found here: http://www.lipumasettlement.com
If you opened your account before February 1, 1999 you may recieve a payment of up to $15 plus all conversion "fees" you were charged between February 1, 1999 and October 15, 2004.
Are these cases the same? If I belong to the class of this one will I be excluded from the other one?

Also, it asks for my account number on the class action member form. I assume that my account number is the same even though my card number has changed a couple of times and that they'll be able to figure it out. Opinions?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Heh, I just came here to post that, too.

(IANAL.) But yes, you must exclude yourself by February 14, 2005 if you want to participate in a different class action lawsuit. It appears in Exhibit E, para 15 (pg. 57) that the other suits have been stayed.

By the way, here are the terms, from the same document:

- 100% of the FX amount between February 1, 1999 and October 15, 2004. (Calculated from AMEX records.)
- $15 if account was closed before February 1, 1999.
- Additional $15 if account was opened prior to, and remained open after, 2/1/99 and conversion made because AMEX doesn't have the records.
- Amount is prorated down to a total $75 million if exceeded.

The settlement seems reasonable enough for me. I'm going to dig up all of my past AMEX account numbers and submit them. I don't think that could hurt.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by flightrisk
The settlement seems reasonable enough for me. I'm going to dig up all of my past AMEX account numbers and submit them. I don't think that could hurt.
Do you think we need to supply all card numbers? If so, on a single form? Just the latest number? It doesn't really say, though I could call the number on the papers...
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightrisk
(IANAL.) But yes, you must exclude yourself by February 14, 2005 if you want to participate in a different class action lawsuit. It appears in Exhibit E, para 15 (pg. 57) that the other suits have been stayed.
Actually, paragraph 15 refers to paragraph 10 which states you have to opt out by October 15, 2004. Did I miss something?

Paragraph 15 certainly refers to a LOT of cases against Amex regarding this.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
It is worth noting that this 2.73% commission is fairly new. Up until about 2 years ago there was no commission charged on foreign transactions.
This is not true. I had a gold Amex card in the early 90's. I used in Costa Rica and they charged 2-3% above the current rate at that time. This was the only card that I had at the time that did this. They did refund the difference, and I cancelled the card when the renewal came up.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:13 pm

I think ive gotton hosed...

Hey everyone! First time poster....now getting to the point....

I recently orderd some shirts from the UK....the bill came to 106 pounds. At the time the conversion rate was at 1.88. With change, the bill comes to $201.16, American Express charged me $204.94. It is only $3, but I intend to keep doing business with this shirt company in the UK. In the first place however, I got free shipping and they knocked 50% off because of me being a loyal customer, and it was combined with an American Express special. Do I cause a stink? Or let the $3 slide?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itzperch
Do I cause a stink? Or let the $3 slide?
It is (was) your $3. At what amount do you start to complain? I have no idea, but I'd either complain or never use their card in a foreign country again.

Until now I've chosen the latter approach but I assume I'll be getting something back from the lawsuit mentioned above. I'll probably get a whole $15 or so!
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:30 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Just today I received notice about either the same or a similar class action case

it asks for my account number on the class action member form. Opinions?
This website is virtually nothing except a form which asks for your card numbers and billing address and send it to a PO Box Address.

Does this ring alarm bells with anyone else?

It may be bonafide, but I would be very, very careful about giving out this sort of imformation without getting independent confirmation first. If anyone has already sent their details to these people then I suggest that they contact Amex and ask Amex to confirm that this is a valid case ASAP.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I had a transaction for $100 IN USD in Bolivia, that was billed at $102 and change. The transaction slip is clearly a US Dollar slip, and the amount is inscribed in dollars. Do they think that people will not notice the overcharge on a USD transaction while abroad?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I had a transaction for $100 IN USD in Bolivia, that was billed at $102 and change. The transaction slip is clearly a US Dollar slip, and the amount is inscribed in dollars. Do they think that people will not notice the overcharge on a USD transaction while abroad?
That doesn't sound like an overcharge to me, at least by the terms of the cardmember agreement. They claim to charge a 2% fee on all transactions from outside of the United States. Note that it doesn't say "in other than US Dollars" but specifies a geographical area to which the surcharge applies. Not that I'm agreeing with it - I just think that this instance is a bit different than what people's main complaints about the currency rates with Amex are.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Steve M
That doesn't sound like an overcharge to me, at least by the terms of the cardmember agreement. They claim to charge a 2% fee on all transactions from outside of the United States. Note that it doesn't say "in other than US Dollars" but specifies a geographical area to which the surcharge applies. Not that I'm agreeing with it - I just think that this instance is a bit different than what people's main complaints about the currency rates with Amex are.
Yes, but from that point of view, it seems that they (AMEX) want to have their cake and eat it too. For example, I phoned in an order to a company overseas and used my credit card to make a purchase in a foreign currency. I was physically in the USA when I placed the phone call and made the transaction, but of course I was still charged the 2% fee, in addition to being mis-charged for the transaction of course.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by rives21
Yes, but from that point of view, it seems that they (AMEX) want to have their cake and eat it too. For example, I phoned in an order to a company overseas and used my credit card to make a purchase in a foreign currency. I was physically in the USA when I placed the phone call and made the transaction, but of course I was still charged the 2% fee, in addition to being mis-charged for the transaction of course.
I don't agree with the charges, but your strawman here is on fire. If the transaction (AMEX) is processed outside the US, you get the charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.