Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: B6 only (JetBlue)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: B6 only (JetBlue)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, B6, Hertz President's Circle, HH Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, VX Elevate Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Burj
I was reimbursed by AMEX when I added EMS after purchasing an award ticket without it. I was also reimbursed for the small amount of tax I paid when I first booked the award ticket.
Thanks!

I'm not at the point where I'm worried about adding on EMS to an B6 award ticket. I'm really worried about how ensure getting the Amex Platinum reimbursement for just the EMS portion of a B6 ticket purchased on my Amex Plat:

Can I get it by purchasing the EMS portion at the same time as the basic economy fare?

Do I have to wait until after buying the basic economy fare first, and then go back a few days later and buy the EMS portion?

What about simultaneous purchases of my and a companion's ticket (can you buy the EMS for both when buying the initial tickets ... or do you have to make the initial economy purchases for both tickets first and then go back later and buy both EMS additions)?

Many thanks to anyone who can assist.

I don't mind dealing with the ins and outs of this stuff, but I kind of resent it when the ins and outs are not consistent.

Last edited by BigOAir; Oct 19, 2019 at 11:23 pm Reason: clarity
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by BigOAir
... I kind of resent it when the ins and outs are not consistent.
When you use a benefit "off label", inconsistencies are guaranteed.
It's a marketing genius in a way, that allows the bank to tout their benefits, yet make them so difficult to use that only a few will try.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, B6, Hertz President's Circle, HH Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, VX Elevate Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by MaxVO
When you use a benefit "off label", inconsistencies are guaranteed.
It's a marketing genius in a way, that allows the bank to tout their benefits, yet make them so difficult to use that only a few will try.
I hear you. The thing for me is that I'd read beforehand what I thought was solid info that paying extra for an even more space seat on B6 was not an "off label" attempt to get the reimbursement, and so I thought it was "kosher" in effect. Stupid me ... guess not.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Burj
I was reimbursed by AMEX when I added EMS after purchasing an award ticket without it. I was also reimbursed for the small amount of tax I paid when I first booked the award ticket.
+1. Had to be done manually for me one time for EMS seat but they did it very easily and effortlessly. I got it both for EMS on award as well as revenue.
akr1970akr and BigOAir like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:16 am

I hear you. The thing for me is that I'd read beforehand what I thought was solid info that paying extra for an even more space seat on B6 was not an "off label" attempt to get the reimbursement, and so I thought it was "kosher" in effect. Stupid me ... guess not.
EMS is not "off-label" and is 100% "kosher", just like buying economy plus or similar on United, Delta, etc. Otherwise they wouldn't have applied it manually for me.
BigOAir likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:19 pm

I haven't done this yet b/c I'm always seeing conflicting reports. Please let me know if you've incurred your B6 Even More Space seat charges as part of the original ticket purchase process (or if you purchased EMS afterwards)? Also, if you've booked EMS seats for both you and a companion at the same time and if both have been reimbursed by Amex Platinum. Many thanks!
Even more space was purchased separately from tickets (tickets were purchased well in advance, even more maybe 2-3 weeks before the flight).

I'd recommend buying it at least a day later -- maybe wait until the original tickets post to be sure?
BigOAir likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:59 am
OSG

Originally Posted by pharohsandpyramids
DP:

10/9: Purchase one-way flight, $133.30
10/10: Cancelled online @ 23.5 hours, credited to B6 Travel Bank
10/10: Posted
10/12: Reimbursed $100
10/18: Purchase correct itinerary (more expensive) with Travel bank credit.

ETA: Amex Gold.
This makes sense to me, except JetBlue's website says that when you cancel within the 24 hour window your credit card is refunded, rather than the amount being credited to your Travel Bank. Is there an option when you cancel your ticket to force them to put it in your Travel Bank rather than refunding the original card?

I just opened my Amex Gold because I was targeted for the 50,000 point bonus, and I'd rather not do any shenanigans to jeopardize that bonus. It feels like if JetBlue credits my Travel Bank, then Amex is none the wiser and I'm safe. But if they refund my card and I still get the reimbursement, that could get flagged as shady behavior.

EDIT: As long as I'm asking questions - does it matter what kind of fare you book on JetBlue? Refundable or non-refundable? Blue, Blue Flex, etc? Also, do credits in your TravelBank ever expire?

Last edited by OSG; Nov 4, 2019 at 10:05 am
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:12 pm

I'd like to try this idea to refund to Travel Bank too pending the answers to the above questions

Originally Posted by OSG
...Also, do credits in your TravelBank ever expire?
The funds do expire in 1 year.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:38 am

accidentally bought a duplicate ticket for $107.29 on 11/7/2019. immediately refunded to travel bank online. will update if Amex credit comes through

elected to refund to travel bank because i need to purchase another flight for ~$178
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:17 am

New data point:

11/3 Purchased one-way flight for $148
11/3 Purchased second one-way flight for $148
11/5 Flight purchases posted
11/7 $200 credit posted
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: reddit churning
I know for the Ritz Credit the best way to do it is on jet blue refundable fares, but are people doing refundable fares for amex or is that just playing with fire?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by htran88
accidentally bought a duplicate ticket for $107.29 on 11/7/2019. immediately refunded to travel bank online. will update if Amex credit comes through

elected to refund to travel bank because i need to purchase another flight for ~$178

11/7/2019 Purchased $107.29
11/7/2019 Immediately (within 20 minutes) went back to refund and elected to credit to Travel Bank (accidentally booked a duplicate reservation, all actions completed online)
11/11/2019 Credit for $91 (what's remaining of my $100 credit) posted 11/09/2019
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:38 am

Thanks to FlyerTalk members who shared DPs, I could utilize my Amex Aspire credit.

My data point:
11/6 Purchased three basic economy one-way flights for $99, $99 and $88
11/7 Ticket purchases posted on my account. The transactions included all details (Ticket No, Passenger, Flight Origin-Destination)
11/9 $250 credit posted
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVP G, CZ *G, UA *S, AC *S, Hilton D, Marriott T, IHG S
Anyone wants to try to refund the ticket back to credit card within 24 hours, like what we do with AS?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:22 am

Apologies if this is too obvious - to get refunds to travel bank, does it make sense to only book Blue Extra (no change fees)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.