Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Stockjock
Hi Guys, first of all let me apologize in advance for not reading all of the recent comments (although I did read some).

I have AMEX Platinum and AS is my selected airline. A few years ago, I could buy a $200 gift certificate and get reimbursed. I think last year, I got 2 tickets to wherever for under $100 each, later cancelled those flights, crediting the balance to my wallet and receiving the $200 credit from AMEX.

Has anything changed for this year? Is this still the preferred method of getting the AMEX credit? I'm also reading some remarks about booking and cancelling in less than 24 hours, but not sure what's up with that, or if both methods work. Thank you in advance!
What has changed is that last year AS did away with the ability to change or cancel ticket anytime outside of 60 day window. However, if you are MPVG or MPV75, you are still able to purchase tickets and cancel AT ANY TIME without a change fee of $125.(Saver fares are excluded from ability to change or cancel after 24 hours by everyone)
Everyone else, including MVP, have 24 hours to change or cancel without change fee. After 24 hours, there is a fee. This is why booking and cancelling in less than 24 is essential.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Exactly.
DP:
Purchased 2- OW fares $99 each 1/16/19 Planning on cancel at 2300 hours. waiting to see how it posts to AmEx account, currently pending. Will purchase 2 - $100 GC with CREDIT generated from airline credit transaction. Willing to pay the $2.00 balance due on AmEx after GC purchase. I would rather have amount in AS Mileage Plan account for future travel.
Just a personal choice.
Why not keep the $200 credit on the card to offset other purchases?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by robchow
Why not keep the $200 credit on the card to offset other purchases?
I want to close this account around Feb 1. Do not want pending charges at that time.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:58 pm

Update:
Both OW fare charges show as pending on AmEx account. Flights cancelled approximately 2200 after purchase. Credits for the cancelled flights not posted yet (over 24 hours) and balance on my airline credit monitor is still $200. Hopefully by Monday there will be some movement .
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Mundane personal American Express Platinum data point:

January 10: Purchased a one-way plane ticket in the amount of $79.31
January 14: Purchase posted to my Amex Platinum account
January 17: Received an AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT in the amount of $79.31
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:21 pm

Update: MVP status on Alaska and bought tickets on AmEx Gold + AmEx Platinum. Cancelled at 23:30 mark for both tickets. About 9 days after received airline fee reimbursement ON TOP OF the refund from airline. This is an even better hack than before when we just got Alaska credit since now we are basically getting straight money put back onto our credit cards. Thanks for the finds on this!!!
NWplatinum and jackal like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by ajgray
Yes, as a data point: I was reimbursed for an Alaska Lounge membership in December.

The caveat was that I had to call AmEx to get it applied. The customer service representative said something to the effect of "Since the amount of your purchase was greater than the amount of remaining credit, it wasn't automatically applied to your account" (which seems odd).

But it wasn't a problem, and she handled it in a couple of minutes: I was charged $295 for the lounge membership, and credited back $181.80. (I had a couple of small incidentals early in 2017 that reduced the remaining credit slightly.)
Amex is so ridiculous, with the stupidest airline travel credit.
I called and asked whether lounge membership counts (it does, confirmed multiple times by them) but they don't credit. Now they ask me to submit additional information. The lady didn't fix it right away. We will see if it is credited.

Might as well just go buy some giftcards (or use the other ways to get the credit).
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
1/13 31.42*2 in 2 separate transactions, did not cancel, posted 1/18. Hoping to actually be able to go but need to figure out my schedule for the next month or two.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Amex is so ridiculous, with the stupidest airline travel credit.
I called and asked whether lounge membership counts (it does, confirmed multiple times by them) but they don't credit. Now they ask me to submit additional information. The lady didn't fix it right away. We will see if it is credited.

Might as well just go buy some giftcards (or use the other ways to get the credit).
Ok, so I spoke to another representative. She basically (though did not say) there are some agents who don't know what to do. Try calling during the business day and during the week, as you get more experienced agents.
She took care of it right away. I saw someone else who said they struggled with this for months.

She notes that some airlines have more issues than others getting fees credited, the big 3 being easier.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Update:
Both OW fare charges show as pending on AmEx account. Flights cancelled approximately 2200 after purchase. Credits for the cancelled flights not posted yet (over 24 hours) and balance on my airline credit monitor is still $200. Hopefully by Monday there will be some movement .
Update;
Both charges posted 1/16 - cancelled flight credits posted 1/18- Airline Credit posted 1/21 . Now have credit on AmEx for spending.
Now will go ahead and do the same - Chairmans Card with AmEx.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Data Point for Amex Gold
1/17 purchased one-way flight for $63.30, canceled same day, refunded 2 days later
1/24 Amex reimbursement posted

I was worried it wouldn't post b/c if you clicked into the transaction for more info it specifically said that it was "passenger ticket."
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:31 am

Data Point:
1/19 - Purchased two, one-way tickets of $96 each
1/20 - Only hold MVP status, so cancelled both tickets 22 hours after purchase for refund
1/22 - Purchases posted and refunds from AS posted on the same day
1/24 - AMEX airline fee reimbursement posted
pcoll likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Data Point:
1/19 - Purchased two, one-way tickets of $96 each
1/20 - Only hold MVP status, so cancelled both tickets 22 hours after purchase for refund
1/22 - Purchases posted and refunds from AS posted on the same day
1/24 - AMEX airline fee reimbursement posted
My DP is virtually identical. $98.30 tkts purchased 1/18, cxled 1/19. Purchases and refunds posted 1/22. Amex fee reimbursement 1/24.

Now to buy some AS gift cards with the credit and repeat for Aspire.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
My DP is virtually identical. $98.30 tkts purchased 1/18, cxled 1/19. Purchases and refunds posted 1/22. Amex fee reimbursement 1/24.

Now to buy some AS gift cards with the credit and repeat for Aspire.
Curious if anyone knows: would buying AS gift cards on the personal plat give 5x as if it were purchasing airfare?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by robchow
Curious if anyone knows: would buying AS gift cards on the personal plat give 5x as if it were purchasing airfare?
Probably not. If you look at posts from mid-2017, like THIS one, you see that the reason AS gift certificates are no longer reimbursed is because they no longer use the main Alaska Airlines merchant account for these sales. If the transaction is not billed using an "airline" merchant account, it won't qualify for the bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.