Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
ditto, $100 GC purchased on 3/27, but still no reimbursement.

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Paid for a $75 +$2.50 award ticketing fee on 3/24… nothing posted yet… I was told I have the $100 credit on my account.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:30 pm

Purchased $100 GC on 3/28 and received reimbursement 3/31, AA was my selected carrier from the git go though.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by nrdk
Purchased $100 GC on 3/28 and received reimbursement 3/31, AA was my selected carrier from the git go though.
AA's been my carrier all year, I got the $200 fee credit earlier applied manually for a AAPLAT Challenge…

So hopefully I won't have to force a manual credit for this $75 Award ticking fee (my dad had no status).
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:10 pm

I was buying some AA tickets anyway so I picked up a single $200 GC to apply toward the purchase. I don't necessarily want to game the system but was curious. Full credit posted within a couple business days.

Side note: This might be common knowledge I found out the hard way that AA.com removes the ability to input a gift card for payment if you've made any seat upgrades, etc. which are disallowed GC uses.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:36 pm

If a ticket is paid using a combination of a credit card and gift card, and the ticket is refunded, how will the refund be processed?

I would love to be the first to try, but was curious if anybody had an answer!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by us1549
If a ticket is paid using a combination of a credit card and gift card, and the ticket is refunded, how will the refund be processed?

I would love to be the first to try, but was curious if anybody had an answer!
Refunds are made in the form of the original payment. I would guess the cc amt to that cc and the gc to a new gc.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:47 pm

Biz platinum with AA primary airline
had used up $175 and then got another $200 by calling earlier in the year. Purchased $100 GC, got reimbursed and the breakdown says $25 airline credit and $75 special offer AA/US.
So if you got $100 for AA/US, and buy 3 $100 Gc, it will 1st use up your airline fee credit of $200 and then whatever you got....
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:57 am

Exhausted my UA $200 credit in January. Bought 2 x $100 AA eGift Cards last week and $200 credit posted yesterday.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:45 am

I'm starting to think I may not have the extra $100. I called Amex up, and they said I have an extra $100 over the $200. I purchased $300 AA gift cards in chunks of $100, and two were reimbursed, but the last one wasn't. It's been over a week now since the last $100 charge posted.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I'm starting to think I may not have the extra $100. I called Amex up, and they said I have an extra $100 over the $200. I purchased $300 AA gift cards in chunks of $100, and two were reimbursed, but the last one wasn't. It's been over a week now since the last $100 charge posted.
Did you receive an email reminder about it on or around March 22nd? I didn't think I had the offer, however did receive an email notifying me of the offer after the loss of lounge access.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:00 pm

According to Post 1115, NJ residents past and present cannot get AA gift cards if there is anything on their profile connecting them to NJ.

This might be why I failed with AA and switched to UA last year.

Just wondering if any other former Jersey people have successfully changed info and managed to get AA gc's besides the 1115 poster? TIA.

Either way, I changed my phone and will try my lounge credit this week or next.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:19 am

I'm eligible for the lounge $500 and regular $200. Anyone else in the same boat. I would ultimately like to purchase $700 in AA giftcards but want to make sure it's already been done.

Would break out the purchases by week or something.

Week 1: $100x2
Week 2: $100x2
Week 3: $100x2
Week 4: $100
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robbiejd
I'm eligible for the lounge $500 and regular $200. Anyone else in the same boat. I would ultimately like to purchase $700 in AA giftcards but want to make sure it's already been done.

^
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by robbiejd

Yes, I have been doing this. I purchased 2 x $100 in January for the original $200 credit.

On 3/29 I purchased 1 x $100 - reimbursed on April 1.

April 2nd I purchased 1 x $100
April 3rd I purchased 1 x $100

Once those two reimbursements post I will purchase additional until I get to the $500 mark.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:03 pm

Exhausted original $200 early in the year. Purchase 1x$100 3/31, reimbursed 4/3.
Just purchased 2x$100 in separate transactions, will post when reimbursed.

ETA: Posted 2 business days later, just bought last 2x$100.

Last edited by djibouti; Apr 8, 2014 at 10:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.