Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:13 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by arkistan
Just cancelled my Ameriprise. More than 30 days have passed since my AF posted, but they still gave me a prorated refund. I didn't receive a retention offer for this card.
Today after receiving my finals credits back for my airline $200, I called 1.855.865.1451, asked to cancel my Ameriprise Financial Plat, got transferred to retention.

Was offered $200 or 20,000 for 3k spend. Declined, would have also declined $500.
Got $181.25 proration back. Confirmed points are linked to my Business Blue Plus.

Best of luck to American Express, I hope to return soon!

Unrelated to the Ameriprise product change, I was disappointed they removed the Roadside, and the Saks credits were mostly useless. I have Lyft Pink under CSR, so I wont cry over a loss of Uber credits.

Last edited by AMRivlin; Mar 22, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:16 am

Last Minute Options to remain eligible for Future Vanilla Plat Bonus?

What card can I downgrade to and remain eligible for Vanilla platinum sign up bonus in the future? Or can someone suggest a no/low annual fee card that I can have instantly approved to keep my MR points and cancel the Ameriprise Platinum?

Last edited by EWR-6785; Mar 23, 2020 at 7:17 am Reason: Typos
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is no sensible downgrade option. Apply for Everyday or Blue Business Plus. Both are free cards that will preserve your MR balance and allow transfers to airline partner

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...day-cards.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-referral.html
AMRivlin likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:08 pm

Yikes-- Was approved for AmEx Everyday, but they tell me that the new card is not linked to Membership Rewards account until the new card is received and activated. At my request they are expressing the new card, but doubt that I will receive it in time, so may have to keep the Amex Platinum after all..Hoping they will provide some grace period in view of COVID.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:16 pm
mia

Originally Posted by EWR-6785
Yikes-- Was approved for AmEx Everyday, but they tell me that the new card is not linked to Membership Rewards account until the new card is received and activated. ....
I doubt this is accurate, but let's assume it is true. What was the billing date of the statement on which your Platinum card renewal fee appeared?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:19 am

Yikes-- Was approved for AmEx Everyday, but they tell me that the new card is not linked to Membership Rewards account until the new card is received and activated. At my request they are expressing the new card, but doubt that I will receive it in time, so may have to keep the Amex Platinum after all..Hoping they will provide some grace period in view of COVID.
You’ll get a prorated refund of the AF so don’t worry.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
I just called and canceled. I already have the regular Platinum to get my once per life 60K sign-up bonus. Goodbye Ameriprise Platinum.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:27 pm

It's not the annual fee that I am worried about. Ameriprise Platinum was my only MR card; my goal was to get the Everyday so I can cancel the Ameriprise Platinum with the hope of getting a new Vanilla Platinum with Welcome Signup Bonus after COVID subsides, and I start flying again and the Skyclubs reopen
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:08 pm
mia

It's not the annual fee that I am worried about. ....
Then what "grace period " were you referring to in your previous post?

.... may have to keep the Amex Platinum after all..Hoping they will provide some grace period in view of COVID.
I understood that you wanted to close the Platinum Card. Why do you think you may not be able to do this?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:57 pm

I was trying to preserve my eligibility for a future welcome signup bonus on the vanilla platinum card while at the same time preserving my membership rewards points.

Fortunately my new Everyday card arrived today, so I was able to cancel my Ameriprise card before it converted to the vanilla platinum. If the everyday card had not arrived, I would have had to keep my Ameriprise card to maintain my points.

Thanks to all of the board for their advice
Old Apr 4, 2021, 9:45 am

Did anyone miss the memo and have their Ameriprise converted automatically to the vanilla card? This happened to me and I never had the vanilla before, does that mean I just forever lost the SUB for the vanilla plat?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ramzi
Did anyone miss the memo and have their Ameriprise converted automatically to the vanilla card? This happened to me and I never had the vanilla before, does that mean I just forever lost the SUB for the vanilla plat?
They sent out a letter and it was widely discussed here.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by mysterym
They sent out a letter and it was widely discussed here.
I'm aware, I happened to be travelling and got stuck due to covid and only found out when it was too late. Do you have any idea if this disqualifies me from the vanilla SUB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.