Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MasterCharge
Physical card will have the date for which the card was applied for MSD but your credit report will have a backdate for the account number. i.e (Your first AX card is from 8/2012 and that card has MSD as 12, You app on 8/2014, card is printed with MSD 14 but when the card is report to TU,EX,EQ, it will show that you have had the card since 2012). It really should not matter what the physical card says, as long as you see the MSD on AX website as the correct one-you are good.
I got the Ameriprise card earlier this year, but have had Amex cards since the late 80's. The Ameriprise card "member since" goes back to that time.

So, it seems Amex is rather inconsistent on what's printed on the card.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:34 pm

Just read the entire thread. Sounds like there are several examples of folks who have gotten approved for this card, having held the regular personal Platinum or MB Platinum in the past.

I’ve never had an AMEX Platinum card. My question is: if I get this card now, how likely is it that I will be able to get the standard personal Platinum (hopefully with a 100k bonus) in the future? In other words: if people are getting approved for *this card* now, having held a personal Platinum card in the past, will the converse likely be true, or not necessarily?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amdg
Just read the entire thread. Sounds like there are several examples of folks who have gotten approved for this card, having held the regular personal Platinum or MB Platinum in the past.

I’ve never had an AMEX Platinum card. My question is: if I get this card now, how likely is it that I will be able to get the standard personal Platinum (hopefully with a 100k bonus) in the future? In other words: if people are getting approved for *this card* now, having held a personal Platinum card in the past, will the converse likely be true, or not necessarily?
Do you have a super shiny crystal ball?

Seriously, no one short of working in AMEX marketing and have decision-making power could answer your question. Even so, AMEX can change policy, past history does not guarantee future performance, I am sure while this is a cliche, it is also a truism.

All we can go by is some empirical data from people who are willing to take a risk instead of finding a sure thing, to show us that having prev personal plat cards does not prevent getting bonus from this card. Who knows whether the reverse would work, until someone tries? Given this card with bonus is first offered only one to two months ago, there is no way anyone would have tried the reverse route. If you want to know this, then you would need to wait 24 months from now I am afraid.

You also realize the 100K Plat card carries $450 annual fee and $175 AU fee, so you would need to subtract that value from the 100K equation as well if you decide to wait for the illusive 100K to return - which by and large, is a targeted offer in the past 2 years.

Further more, this offer expires on Aug 31st. With AMEX bonus, the general practice is you need to be APPROVED no later than the offer expiration date to still be eligible for the bonus. If you are thinking about it, you dont have much time left to take action if you decide you want this card.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 31, 2014 at 2:42 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:48 pm

Do Authorized User charges count toward the 25k sign up bonus?

NVM...I found the answer. It does count.

Last edited by possib1edoc; Aug 31, 2014 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by possib1edoc
Do Authorized User charges count toward the 25k sign up bonus?
I believe so.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:55 pm

The landing page for this offer is still up. Has anyone applied since 8/31 and have any word on whether the offer is still good?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by js80
The landing page for this offer is still up. Has anyone applied since 8/31 and have any word on whether the offer is still good?
I was wondering the same thing. I saw this deal on the 1st. Was going to try but chickened out. I doubt the promo still applies..
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by candyman261
I was wondering the same thing. I saw this deal on the 1st. Was going to try but chickened out. I doubt the promo still applies..
same here. if you can get 25k MP plus first Annul fee wavied, I am into it. too bad it pass Aug 31st......... please let me know.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:14 pm

Not sure I would chance it as Amex is pretty strict, besides most of us are not Ameriprise customers and it would be hard to argue. "If your application is not received by 08/31/2014, you will not be eligible for the offer if your application is approved."
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by crzn
Not sure I would chance it as Amex is pretty strict, besides most of us are not Ameriprise customers and it would be hard to argue. "If your application is not received by 08/31/2014, you will not be eligible for the offer if your application is approved."
Yeah, you are right. It would be impossible to argue. Guess I will wait till the next promo, or perhaps get the Amex Mercedes Platinum.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by js80
I signed up for the card on 9/3/2014 and will receive it in the mail today. I called in to the AmEx status line after approval and was told that the 25K point promotion applies to my account but I'm still not 100% sure the representative is correct as they could have just read the promo without noticing the expiration date. I will more than likely meet the $3K spend requirement before the end of this weekend so once the items post I will update the forum whether I receive the points or not.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by kingcoop
I signed up for the card on 9/3/2014 and will receive it in the mail today. I called in to the AmEx status line after approval and was told that the 25K point promotion applies to my account but I'm still not 100% sure the representative is correct as they could have just read the promo without noticing the expiration date. I will more than likely meet the $3K spend requirement before the end of this weekend so once the items post I will update the forum whether I receive the points or not.
Good man! I hope you get the points. ^
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by candyman261
Good man! I hope you get the points. ^
Thanks, me too! But if not then no biggie as I was aware that the points offer expired. The other benefits are more than enough for the first year free. Might even keep the card after the promotion expires for the perks if they do not change.

So far this is what I plan to do once I activate the card this evening, let me know if I'm missing another perk or need to do something differently:

1. Activate card
2. Call number on back of card to activate Priority Select Pass
3. Visit AmEx site to activate Airline carrier choice
4. Visit Boingo site to activate AmEx preferred plan
5. Call to upgrade SPG and car rental privileges
6. Wait till Mon and purchase four $50 Delta ecerts in separate transactions
7. TSA Pre-check appt Mon; will pay using AmEx Platinum card for credit
8. Wait till Jan 1st 2015 and purchase another four $50 Delta ecerts

Sit back and enjoy...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:32 pm

Thanks, me too! But if not then no biggie as I was aware that the points offer expired. The other benefits are more than enough for the first year free. Might even keep the card after the promotion expires for the perks if they do not change.

So far this is what I plan to do once I activate the card this evening, let me know if I'm missing another perk or need to do something differently:

1. Activate card

Sit back and enjoy...
Seems to me like you covered everything.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

1. Activate card

Sit back and enjoy...
9. add up to three additional cardholders so they can all get Global Entry (and if you fly Delta, Skyclub lounge access)

We're a family of four, with four cards, and we've all used those two benefits. You can get up to three AU's for $0 for the first year.

This free Ameriprise Platinum AX is quite a steal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.