Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
DFW-DCA last week: OJ or water offered on a 7:55p departure. I requested sparkling wine. F/A said no: "I have OJ and water poured."

I asked well before T-15; at least 10 minutes elapsed after my request until the boarding door closed.

Also, the cabin lights weren't dimmed for a late night landing at DCA. (I'm not sure if this is against company policy.)

Last edited by jbsay; Jul 17, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
lAAzy
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jbsay
DFW-DCA last week: OJ or water offered on a 7:55p departure. I requested sparkling wine. F/A said no: "I have OJ and water poured."

I asked well before T-15; at least 10 minutes elapsed after my request until the boarding door closed.

Also, the cabin lights weren't dimmed for a late night landing at DCA. (I'm not sure if this is against company policy.)
pAAthetic!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by jbsay

I requested a Diet Coke and was refused.

Five minutes later I see a second FA up front drinking..... yup, a darkish carbonated liquid.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Report on Twiiter

If you tweet you experiences on Twitter, you will get a quick response from AA inquiring about your flight # and details and a promise to follow up. Mu sense is the sooner after the experience, the better. Iyou might even consider tweeting from the plane before the door closes for departure.

I think if AA does follow thru and contact FA's after such experience, they might find it easier to just do the right thing in the first place than have to explain themselves after the fact.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
LAX-SFO/SFO-LAX this week - good service on board, but no PDBs offered on either. Frankly I no longer expect PDBs at all on AA flights.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by hbtr
LAX-SFO/SFO-LAX this week - good service on board, but no PDBs offered on either. Frankly I no longer expect PDBs at all on AA flights.
That's not the American Airlines service standard though.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hbtr
If the issue is not reported when it happens, they may just adopt it as policy. Either file a complaint on AA.com or send details via Twitter to @AmericanAir. They claim to be listening.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If the issue is not reported when it happens, they may just adopt it as policy. Either file a complaint on AA.com or send details via Twitter to @AmericanAir. They claim to be listening.
I Tweeted a screenshot of and a link to ur post to AmericanAir from @MyTravelGripes
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nologic
I Tweeted a screenshot of and a link to ur post to AmericanAir from @MyTravelGripes
Why? I don't have any compliments/complaints of AA at the moment. And honestly, that handle would not get any attention from me if I was them.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I have about one drink every two weeks or so, so not having an alcoholic PDB isn't a big deal to me (plus, I'd had one drink in the Centurion Lounge earlier in the day, so I was at my quota) ...... however:

MIA - PHX (AA Metal) - Open Bar
PHX - LAS (US Metal) - Open Bar

(The latter flight was on a shiny new A321).
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MIA/MCO 2464 today 773 subbed for a 32B, not only no PDBs but no service in the air either.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
MIA/MCO 2464 today 773 subbed for a 32B, not only no PDBs but no service in the air either.
That's totally unacceptable. The no service in the air has now happened to me twice in the passed 2 months (LAS-LAX and JFK-DCA). Write into AA and say this is not a First Class experience.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
First PDB on an AA plane since March. Last Thursday 7/16, mainline MD80 MCI-ORD, AA2234. Pushback was delayed for 90+ minutes ATC at O'Hare. The captain actually prompted the FAs to "do a service," presumably because it was warm on the plane. The coach FAs served bottled water (not by cart) and the First FA did two, open-bar PDB services.

You could tell the FAs were not accustomed to doing a PDB, lots of little inefficiencies, although with smiles throughout. Made me wonder if the MD80 crews simply have never done a PDB service. (When I do get the rare PDB on pmAA, it's always a 737 crew). I am grateful that they did the PDBs, it certainly made the hour and a half go by much faster.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Woah! That's quite the equipment upgrade! That may have been the first AA 77W in MCO. Wonder how they got around to sending a 77W in place of a 32B. Surely that requires a completely different crew (up front and in the back).

Too bad you got a lAAzy group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.