Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by MOD220
Just curious why people are paying for AC, vs just getting AMEX plat which is around the same annual expense, but includes access to other airlines and all the other AMEX perks? unless you pay for AC w/ AA miles, I dont see how it makes sense?
It makes sense for a few reasons, beyond those that brp pointed out.

One, I get 2 guests in with me versus the one. I frequently travel in 2's and 3's with many nFF's and that extra guest pays in big dividends. Taking an E-level coworker into the club with you is worth it's weight in gold.

Two, they know me as an AC member. Give them my member number and I'm done -- I can't remember the last time they asked for anything beyond my BP.

Three, those AMEX benefits are subject to change at any time. I fly AA, I belong to AA's club. Plain and simple. (I'm risk averse in this sense. Why pay $400 a year for a credit card when, the first time the economy poops, they start to cut benefits to drive you to a higher level CC?)

Four, the miles just aren't worth it for an AA membership for me. If I was laying down 200k EQM's a year, then, maybe, I'd do that. But my company will reimburse me, and those 45k miles put me closer to two OW RTW awards in F.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just curious why people are paying for AC, vs just getting AMEX plat which is around the same annual expense
How much is that particular card a year (is it really $400)? I have a no-fee AMEX that seems to meet my needs just fine and I pay $250 a year to renew my AC membership. I've been called at home by the AC during irregular operations, a benefit I would not see with an AMEX entry (they wouldn't even know I was on the flight if I was still at home), and the wi-fi (I don't have a T-Mobile account), as well as bringing in two guests, makes it even more worthwhile.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:40 am

Just curious why people are paying for AC, vs just getting AMEX plat which is around the same annual expense, but includes access to other airlines and all the other AMEX perks? unless you pay for AC w/ AA miles, I dont see how it makes sense?
With AMEX you can't get in unless you are flying on that airline that day. Flying WN out of SJC with AMEX would prohibit me from using the club on those days.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Free WiFi is one of the remaining differentiating factors between AC members, who get complimentary WiFi, and AMEX members, who can access T-Mobile for the usual fee. (My Verizon broadband access makes this benefit less of a dealmaker for me.)

As Hawk XPII says, there are other benefits - I can use the AC anytime, whether I am flying AA or even not flying; I do occasionally rent conference facilities, and use the business machines. As well, I take occasional advantage of my complimentary Regus membership and use Regus facilities (including renting a small office or conference room) in cities (vs. airports.)

(Very weird experience earlier this month at LAX - singing in to the LAX AC for a FL access, the AAngel mentioned something about "I knew a JDiver once" - and it turns out performed reception and office work for my father many years ago! Very small world!)

Originally Posted by brp
ACs now provide free wifi. No card required. This is for AC members. Those using AMEX for access may get cards, or may be SOL...not sure.

Cheers.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 14, 2008 at 12:01 pm Reason: add weird experience
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Free WiFi is one of the remaining differentiating factors between AC members, who get complimentary WiFi, and AMEX members, who can access T-Mobile for the usual fee. (My Verizon broadband access makes this benefit less of a dealmaker for me.)

As Hawk XPII says, there are other benefits - I can use the AC anytime, whether I am flying AA or even not flying; I do occasionally rent conference facilities, and use the business machines. As well, I take occasional advantage of my complimentary Regus membership and use Regus facilities (including renting a small office or conference room) in cities (vs. airports.)
Just one anecdotal note... I was in the DFW C AC last month with my boss -- who is not an AC member -- and he picked up the wifi with no issue, no payment. (I manage his budget, so I would have seen the charge slide out during expense report reconciliation).

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:05 pm

I'll bet that happens with some frequency (no pun intended.)

Originally Posted by astanley
Just one anecdotal note... I was in the DFW C AC last month with my boss -- who is not an AC member -- and he picked up the wifi with no issue, no payment. (I manage his budget, so I would have seen the charge slide out during expense report reconciliation).

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver

<snipped>

(Very weird experience earlier this month at LAX - singing in to the LAX AC for a FL access, the AAngel mentioned something about "I knew a JDiver once" - and it turns out performed reception and office work for my father many years ago! Very small world!)
The WIFI for AC is diminishing value, since more airports are offering free WIFI access. My main airport, SJC, recently added it, and terminal A is newly awash in places to plug in. I'm not sure, but I think they are at the WN gates, which also currently surround the AC.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
The WIFI for AC is diminishing value, since more airports are offering free WIFI access. My main airport, SJC, recently added it, and terminal A is newly awash in places to plug in. I'm not sure, but I think they are at the WN gates, which also currently surround the AC.
I'm not sure which way the market will go -- ORD, DFW, JFK and BOS (just off the top of my head) all have $$$ WiFi, while RIC, CVG, and DAY all have it for free. The more foot traffic, the more likely the airport authority is going to wring another dime out of you...

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:39 pm

True - excellent and free WiFi at SAN and SMF as well. As I said, with EV-DO Broadband access, it is not a big selling point for me personally - and it appears to be a diminishing one for others as long as free WiFi continues to propagate.

BTW, anyone know if BOS has changed their piratical ways about WiFi? They must have come to some accommodation with AA.

Originally Posted by mvoight
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks. I guess there are a few advantages, my only concern is if i buy AC membership, then fly Southwest, I'd have to go to a seperate terminal for the club...oh well, i'll just get both the AMEX and AC membership, problem solved..
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:00 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks. I guess there are a few advantages, my only concern is if i buy AC membership, then fly Southwest, I'd have to go to a seperate terminal for the club...oh well, i'll just get both the AMEX and AC membership, problem solved..
Not sure how this helps as WN do not have lounges. If AA and WN happen to be in the same terminal (SJC, at least), you can use the AC even if flying WN. If you use the AMEX route, it doesn't matter which lounge may be in the same terminal as WN- can't use the lounge unless flying that airline.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by jragosta
Yes, if you sit right in front of the TV, it's going to be noisy. There are plenty of quite spots within ORD's AC, though. Heck, they even have a cell-phone free zone.
Hmmm. They may as well give up on that. SAN has tabletop signs that say no cell phone. I pick them up and set them down next to the offenders. They keep right on shouting. SFO has a TV room off the bar with brass plaques saying no cell phone use. I was watching TV when two guys arrived and began babbling into their phones and pacing the room while I stared right at them. No stoppee.
ORD cell free area can be noisy if a shouter is sitting near the wall, which I think is glass, and you are within a few feet of that divider. It's hopeless.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lili
Hmmm. They may as well give up on that. SAN has tabletop signs that say no cell phone. I pick them up and set them down next to the offenders. They keep right on shouting. SFO has a TV room off the bar with brass plaques saying no cell phone use. I was watching TV when two guys arrived and began babbling into their phones and pacing the room while I stared right at them. No stoppee.
ORD cell free area can be noisy if a shouter is sitting near the wall, which I think is glass, and you are within a few feet of that divider. It's hopeless.
While watching TV in small no cellphone area to the right side of the bar, two people entered separately and continued to gab on the phone even after I turned the TV volume up. Finally, it was so loud, one person moved away.
It's not like they walked into the room while on the phone. They camed into the room, and simply ignored the signs.
Old May 27, 2009, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Ok is the AC worth it. I'm on a LGA/DFW/SNA/SFO/JFK MR. My boss/employer while not understanding my craziness to gain top status gives me some leeway when I want to go flying for a day. But need to be back in the office by 9AM the next day for a big pow-wow (off a redeye from SFO). I'm at SNA and the flight from SFO to JFK gets delayed by several hours (AA
personally calls me.:- Missing the pow-wow not good. So I engage the help of the SNA AC Angel. She puts me on a shuttle to LAX and the rebooks me on a LAX/JFK redeye (that gets in two hours before my original flight from SFO) and gives me the last seat open in J!

Only downside I am scarfing down the real food that is set out in the LAX AC.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold (lost Plat),QF bottom of the barrel, 49k DL miles about to expire.
AA Admirals or Qantas Club?

Howdy folks... I'm a AA Gold (lost Plat this year) that's getting ready for a big round of QF and AA travel in the July-August time frame (probably equivalent of 2 complete return trips, with several domestic legs on either side of the Pacific).

Had I known I had this much travel coming up I might have paid to keep my Plat status, but I didn't... so too late (at least I think it is).

Now I'm looking buying either an Admirals Club membership or a Qantas Club membership. With my AA Gold to buy the Admirals Club is $450. With a company discount and the currency conversion, the QC membership is essentially the same.

So I'm trying to work through the pros/cons of each and decide which is the best for my use. As far as I can tell both are going to allow me the same level of lounge access for the flights I'm going to be using... so the only difference is perks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Qantas Clubs offer free wifi and free food/drink regardless of whether you're a member or a visiting Admirals Club member.

When it comes to joint AA/QF clubs (such as LAX T4)... Admirals Club will get me free wifi... Qantas Club will get me drink vouchers.

At domestic US Admirals Clubs (say ORD or DFW)... same situation I think... Admirals Club will get me wifi... QC will get me drink vouchers.

Am I not considering something? If these are the only differences then I'll probably make a choice based on which is easiest/quickest to buy. If someone can offer some anecdotal evidence why one would be better than the other, I'd sure appreciate it.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.