Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
(Very weird experience earlier this month at LAX - singing in to the LAX AC for a FL access, the AAngel mentioned something about "I knew a JDiver once" - and it turns out performed reception and office work for my father many years ago! Very small world!)
How cool is that? Small world indeed.
Old May 28, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
I do not fly much. My business keeps me in the car in about a 150 radius of home. The occasions that I do fly, I seldom have much time between flights. I find that next month, I will have a 5-hour layover at ORD. Is it possible to purchase a day pass to the Admiral's Club? Would I still get the free wi-fi? Anybody know how much that might cost? I've only used Delta Crown Room a couple of times and was able to get a day pass each time. Of course, I paid a bunch for wi-fi for a couple of hours. Also, what to expect in the Admiral's Club early morning? Food? Drink? I'm getting there about 7:00am and don't connect until after noon.
Old May 28, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vickiburton
I do not fly much. My business keeps me in the car in about a 150 radius of home. The occasions that I do fly, I seldom have much time between flights. I find that next month, I will have a 5-hour layover at ORD. Is it possible to purchase a day pass to the Admiral's Club? Would I still get the free wi-fi? Anybody know how much that might cost? I've only used Delta Crown Room a couple of times and was able to get a day pass each time. Of course, I paid a bunch for wi-fi for a couple of hours. Also, what to expect in the Admiral's Club early morning? Food? Drink? I'm getting there about 7:00am and don't connect until after noon.
Did you take a moment to look at the Admiral's Club section of AA.com? Almost every single question that you asked is answered there.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...OneDayPass.jsp

Regards
Old May 28, 2009, 6:46 am

After reading the rules for admissions to the AC's, I have a question for anyone who might have done this routing in the past.

Our game plan is to fly BOS to LAX, non stop, on a late afternoon flight up front. Under the rules, it would appear that my wife and I could gain access to the AC in BOS (non-stop transcon). The thing is that the next morning we would be flying from LAX to HNL, up front once again. I know that segment would not allow us to qualify for admission.

Question. With the first portion of our trip being a non stop transcon one day with the continuation the next morning, would we be able to gain admission to the AC in BOS? Thanks...
Old May 28, 2009, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ogrex
Howdy folks... I'm a AA Gold (lost Plat this year) that's getting ready for a big round of QF and AA travel in the July-August time frame (probably equivalent of 2 complete return trips, with several domestic legs on either side of the Pacific).

Had I known I had this much travel coming up I might have paid to keep my Plat status, but I didn't... so too late (at least I think it is).

Now I'm looking buying either an Admirals Club membership or a Qantas Club membership. With my AA Gold to buy the Admirals Club is $450. With a company discount and the currency conversion, the QC membership is essentially the same.

So I'm trying to work through the pros/cons of each and decide which is the best for my use. As far as I can tell both are going to allow me the same level of lounge access for the flights I'm going to be using... so the only difference is perks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Qantas Clubs offer free wifi and free food/drink regardless of whether you're a member or a visiting Admirals Club member.

When it comes to joint AA/QF clubs (such as LAX T4)... Admirals Club will get me free wifi... Qantas Club will get me drink vouchers.

At domestic US Admirals Clubs (say ORD or DFW)... same situation I think... Admirals Club will get me wifi... QC will get me drink vouchers.

Am I not considering something? If these are the only differences then I'll probably make a choice based on which is easiest/quickest to buy. If someone can offer some anecdotal evidence why one would be better than the other, I'd sure appreciate it.

Cheers.
1. Qantas Club seems to be phasing out the free drinks in domestic Admirals Clubs. There is a footnote on their website about free drinks not being available in some locations. Qantas Club members have reported different experiences - sometimes don't get drink chits, sometimes do.

2. AFAIK, there is no difference in the food available in Admirals Clubs based on the card you used to get in.

If they are the same cost, I would go with Admirals Club membership, as you can get in even when not flying AA.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:19 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bishope2
After reading the rules for admissions to the AC's, I have a question for anyone who might have done this routing in the past.

Our game plan is to fly BOS to LAX, non stop, on a late afternoon flight up front. Under the rules, it would appear that my wife and I could gain access to the AC in BOS (non-stop transcon). The thing is that the next morning we would be flying from LAX to HNL, up front once again. I know that segment would not allow us to qualify for admission.

Question. With the first portion of our trip being a non stop transcon one day with the continuation the next morning, would we be able to gain admission to the AC in BOS? Thanks...
You double-checking...your BOS-LAX transcon is booked into Z,F,J, or U, right? If so, then yes - you'll be able to get into the BOS AC (and the LAX AC on the day you arrive).
Old May 28, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bishope2

Originally Posted by JY1024
You double-checking...your BOS-LAX transcon is booked into Z,F,J, or U, right? If so, then yes - you'll be able to get into the BOS AC (and the LAX AC on the day you arrive).
Yes, as JY indicates above, if your ticket is out of one of those 4 inventories you will get access THAT DAY in BOS and LAX. I know I read your final question correctly, but I am wondering if you did mean to say BOS or not, as you answer that question in the first part of your post. Are you also wondering if you have access the next day due to the "continuation" of your trip? If so, no you would not. If you were not asking that I apologize.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: NW Plat, DL 2 MM Flying Colonel, AA EXP MM, CO,NW,UA, MM, Hilton, Hyatt Diamond, QF Club Lifetime
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gemac
1. Qantas Club seems to be phasing out the free drinks in domestic Admirals Clubs. There is a footnote on their website about free drinks not being available in some locations. Qantas Club members have reported different experiences - sometimes don't get drink chits, sometimes do.

2. AFAIK, there is no difference in the food available in Admirals Clubs based on the card you used to get in.

If they are the same cost, I would go with Admirals Club membership, as you can get in even when not flying AA.
"Phasing out the free drinks in domestic Admirals Clubs" ! I don't think so.
Every US AC that I've been to gives two drink chits to QF Club members.
My QF Lifetime card has beeen a real winner.
Old May 28, 2009, 1:54 pm

Thanks JY1024 and Genotonda for the replies regarding my admission question. As I re-read my question, it does look like I asked the question twice. Sorry about that. Maybe I should have stated my question differently.
My question was answered. Admission to BOS and LAX lounges on the BOS/LAX transcon (correct fare code applied) but no admission to the LAX or HNL lounges for the LAX/HNL flight.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bobemac
"Phasing out the free drinks in domestic Admirals Clubs" ! I don't think so.
Every US AC that I've been to gives two drink chits to QF Club members.
My QF Lifetime card has beeen a real winner.
From the Qantas Club benefits page:
"Self-serve hot coffee and tea, juices and snacks are available. A complimentary bar service also operates around the clock in international lounges, and from mid-afternoon in our domestic Australian and New Zealand lounges.*"

"* May not be available in some USA partner lounges. Lounge opening times may vary."

Who do you think they mean by "USA partner lounges"?

I have heard of Qantas Club members being turned down for drink chits. I've also heard of others who haven't been turned down. Glad it hasn't happened to you yet.

Last edited by gemac; May 28, 2009 at 7:14 pm
Old May 6, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
Just curious, when using the showers at the clubs, do they provide towels?
Old May 6, 2010, 7:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, as well as liquid soap, shampoo, at least.

Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever
Old May 6, 2010, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever
And often times, lotion. They provide two towels most of the time: one small and one big. Sometimes, a floor towel.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Some personal experience. Twice in the last month the SNA AC has called me to warn me of delays which even the EXP desk was not aware of. Apparently airport agents can be behind in putting in the information on the delay. Rebooking me on earlier flights meant not having to land at 2AM at my destination and then waking up to meet the client at 9AM. Priceless IMHO.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
And often times, lotion. They provide two towels most of the time: one small and one big. Sometimes, a floor towel.
Also, at least the JFK/MIA/DFW clubs have some additional items (toothpaste, shaving cream, razor) if you ask at the front desk or the attendant when requesting a shower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.