Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
And often times, lotion. They provide two towels most of the time: one small and one big. Sometimes, a floor towel.
Sometimes, even a wash cloth.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Considering I started the post years ago, thought I would uodate that after four consecutive years of AC membership, I have decided that, for me, it's not worth it.

Reasons:
1. Clubs are overcrowded. Especially in MIA, both are busy always with minimal food, drink selection. DFW D is also another busy one.
2. I have had better luck finding an empty gate to sit in and read a book, and generally without having to listen to someone else's cell phone call, even in the "Silent Zones"
3. AAngels have had their wings clipped, none of them have done anything for me that I couldn't done on the phone.

FWIW: My favorite club is ORD H-K, and I'll still use this one from time to time using Amex.

(Side note: I found the DL SkyClub to generally be better in food, drink, and number of locations).
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
I just visited a club using a coupon and I don't think I would pay $300 for a year's cookie. for those people who use the shower, maybe it's good value...

I almost always transfer through DFW, they have free samsung lounges, and strangely always have empty seats. with an iphone I could watch a video there. although I have to pay for a mocha from starbucks next door, it tastes much better than the free coffee from AC
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
It's been a while since I was in the Admiral's Club at breakfast time, and the offerings are just shocking.

I was in the club in MIA and it seems that it is just ridiculous yogurt coated trail mix or some spicey snacks that are available - at BREAKFAST! Everything else is just food-for-purchase!

Why can't they put out some basic stuff like Rice Krispies or Corn Flakes? Something! Put it in one of those silly plastic dispensers if you want to keep track.

Can't even get a decent snack or take anything away without paying for it.

I don't understand why they cannot put some bread out (or bagels like United do) - that can be toasted?

How much is a loaf of bread for God's sake??

Answer me this riddle? WHY do they put out the peanut butter and jam?

What am I supposed to spread it on? My muffin?

It's embarrassing.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
The JFK one offers bagels and small muffins in the morning!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Answer me this riddle? WHY do they put out the peanut butter and jam?

What am I supposed to spread it on? My muffin?

It's embarrassing.
Don't they have the croissants? I remember they started putting out the jam when they added the croissants.

It would be nice to have something a little healthier.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by Bttc
Don't they have the croissants? I remember they started putting out the jam when they added the croissants.

It would be nice to have something a little healthier.
Yes, they did. Sorry, I forgot.

But yeah - they didn't look that great. They looked really greasy!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I miss the bagels and cream cheese…..they used to be out in most if not all clubs based on my memory. Now it's just dry/cold croissants which are gross.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Yes, they did. Sorry, I forgot.

But yeah - they didn't look that great. They looked really greasy!
I took one a few weeks ago and ended up not eating it, because they were a horrible texture and greasy.

I've had access to the AC again since March with the credit card, which I have for the EQM and not the club. The food selections in most AA clubs are horrible except for the cherry tomatoes at 4pm. The US club offerings are just as un-nutritious but at least the biscoff and some of the package chips are somewhat pleasing.

I like the LAX club as the area around the bar is airy. And in the AUS club I like that there is a set of cubicles overlooking the gate area, I wish more clubs would do that. (ORD G has something similar.) But ORD H/K hasn't changed since I first stepped foot in there in 1997 - if AMEX goes and puts a Centurion Club in Terminal 2 they'll get my attention.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Flying round trip to LHR from JFK on BA economy. Any lounge access on either side with the Admiral's Club full/ 30 day membership? BA flies out of Terminal 7 at JFK.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Why pay for AC membership?

Full disclosure: I am not an AC member. I get free day passes with my Business Extra account. If I don't have a day pass, I just find some comfy place near the departure gate to wait and immerse myself in Killer Sudoku.

I have been in the LAX AC a few times since they started construction that was supposed to be finished in "Spring 2017". We are almost to July 2017, past Midsummer, and it's still not done. I've read here in FT that they don't expect the LAX lounge to be finished until October 2017. I've also read, here on FT, that the JFK lounge is sub-optimal.

I look around me and see a crowded and noisy room. I can't say this is the "oasis of calm" they advertise. I wonder, to myself, "Who in their right mind would pay $400 (+/-) a year for this? Is this really that much better than just waiting at the departure gate or sitting in an airport restaurant?"

So, please enlighten me. Is it worth your annual membership dollars? Has anyone taken it up with the airline and, perhaps, received a discount or rebate for their annual membership fee? If your annual membership is paid by OPM, would you pay for it out of your own pocket, if your employment situation changed?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
No, it's not. Not these days. Between PP and Centurion, and nicer airport gate/food set-ups, I'm good. And on international itineraries, I get my AC fix.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Most people who travel enough to need use of them also don't have to pay for them (certain companies will). I know mine won't though. I don't think it's worth $400; I might though if I was traveling weekly since AA irrops has become the norm for me. If I only travel once a month, not worth it.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
How do you get free day passes with BE? They are a redemption of 300 points per pass.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
My AC cost is worth it.

Caveat: "Raised in San Francisco, taught to love God ... AND hate Los Angeles"-Herb Caen

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

LAX specific-LAX is a zoo on a good day, from leaving the house to boarding. Line/Status Nazi's, overzealous TSA, disappointed you are just cattle, instead of famous, and (ex AC AAngels) GA's that are ONLY concerned about getting the flight out AND nothing else. If one can get over temporary construction time frame over runs, in a quieter than an airport Chili's environment, ...

The rest of the universe-IMHO, AC's are that oasis that give us AAngels that still get us out of town when we have a CXL, WX, etc., , shield us from bimbo's that sit in one seat and put their bags in the seats on other side, screaming, misbehaving children that should be on Benadryl instead of sugar, fighting over plugs to charge dying equipment, (insert bad behavior here), ad nauseum, ...

It's all relative. YMMV re: $450 (or less) My AC cost is worth it.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 27, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.