FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)
Old May 27, 2009, 9:47 pm
ogrex

Programs: AA Gold (lost Plat),QF bottom of the barrel, 49k DL miles about to expire.
AA Admirals or Qantas Club?

Howdy folks... I'm a AA Gold (lost Plat this year) that's getting ready for a big round of QF and AA travel in the July-August time frame (probably equivalent of 2 complete return trips, with several domestic legs on either side of the Pacific).

Had I known I had this much travel coming up I might have paid to keep my Plat status, but I didn't... so too late (at least I think it is).

Now I'm looking buying either an Admirals Club membership or a Qantas Club membership. With my AA Gold to buy the Admirals Club is $450. With a company discount and the currency conversion, the QC membership is essentially the same.

So I'm trying to work through the pros/cons of each and decide which is the best for my use. As far as I can tell both are going to allow me the same level of lounge access for the flights I'm going to be using... so the only difference is perks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Qantas Clubs offer free wifi and free food/drink regardless of whether you're a member or a visiting Admirals Club member.

When it comes to joint AA/QF clubs (such as LAX T4)... Admirals Club will get me free wifi... Qantas Club will get me drink vouchers.

At domestic US Admirals Clubs (say ORD or DFW)... same situation I think... Admirals Club will get me wifi... QC will get me drink vouchers.

Am I not considering something? If these are the only differences then I'll probably make a choice based on which is easiest/quickest to buy. If someone can offer some anecdotal evidence why one would be better than the other, I'd sure appreciate it.

Cheers.