Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account audit / blocked / fraud: award / miles / SWU / sale, barter, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines Corporate Security, AAdvantage Fraud division (AKA "Revenue Protection Unit"), and its enforcement of the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions - particularly to selling, buying and bartering awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

It is okay at this time to gift awards, upgrades, etc. as long as there is absolutely no quid pro quo (no buying or selling or offer to do so, no barter or trade "you give me one now I'll give it back" or anything smacking of prohibited activity. AA is probably the strictest of the US airlines about this. They have a very active and expert AAdvantage Fraud division of the AA Corporate Fraud department, and they can both be aggressive and, some might say merciless - clawing back one's miles and instruments, even closing one's account and terminating status and ability to participate in the AAdvantage program n the future.

There are other ways to commit fraud in AA’s eyes, such as fictitious or fraudulent bookings to try to block seats to increase one’s chances if upgrades, generating tickets to access airside facilities (e.g. lounges) when there is no intent to fly, etc.

To read an example of how the US Department of Transportation has rules on punitive actions by AA, read Joel Hayes vs. American Airlines here (PDF).

Please read on for information and the consensus of knowledgeable members.

E.g. AAdvantage Terms and Conditions excerpt: "At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold, advertised for sale or bartered (including but not limited to transferring, gifting, or promising mileage credit or award tickets in exchange for support of a certain business, product or charity and/or participation in an auction, sweepstakes, raffle or contest). Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Violators (including any passenger who uses a purchased or bartered award ticket) may be liable for damages and litigation costs, including American Airlines attorneys’ fees incurred in enforcing this rule." (This extends to other AA instruments such as Systemwide Upgrades, etc., selling of extra AirPass seats or baggage allowance, etc.)
Also see AAdvantage Program Terms and Conditions and

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage.

Originally Posted by SS255
<snip>"While you may consider the AAdvantage Miles in your account to be *your* property, they are actually the property of AA, and AA permits you to redeem them within the program rules set by AA. If AA detects any impropriety (real or perceived) in the use of AAdvantage miles, they reserve the right to confiscate the miles and/or close/delete the account."...
The typical email from AA Corporate Security can not be addressed by calling AAdvantage Customer Service or other methods - you must reply to the email address given. It likely will look like this:

My name is Fname Lname, and I am an analyst with American Airlines. One of my responsibilities is investigating possible instances of fraud, misrepresentation, and violations of the General AAdvantage Program Conditions. Today, I’m writing you about your AAdvantage account # XXXXXXXX

We have reason to believe that the transactions listed below violate one or more of the AAdvantage program conditions. This includes, but is not limited to, prohibition of purchase, sale, or barter of mileage credit and or award tickets. As a result, American Airlines has suspended your AAdvantage membership privileges and use of AA.com® in conjunction with your account – and may terminate your account as a result of our findings. We are in the process of completing the investigation into this matter, and I would like to hear the events as they occurred from your perspective. Please respond to this message by <date> with complete and accurate information regarding the activities listed below:

<specific activity /activities in question>

Required Information:·
  • Passenger name·
    • Origin and destination cities on the travel itinerary·
      • Purchaser name (individual, company and/or website), including:·
        • Copy of any advertisements to which you responded offering to purchase/broker the use of your AAdvantage miles·
          • Purchaser contact information, such as:·
            • Mailing address·
              • Email address·
                • Telephone number·
                  • Website profile name·
                    • Your statement fully disclosing the details surrounding the sale/barter transaction referenced above·
                      • Copy of all communication between yourself and the purchaser·
                        • Documentation that you received payment

To protect and retain the integrity of the AAdvantage program, it is vital that firm action be taken as a result of any violation of the AAdvantage Program Conditions, whether intentional or not. Failure to respond completely and accurately by <insert date>, will result in the termination of your AAdvantage membership and all its benefits, including all remaining AAdvantage miles in your account and any award tickets issued from it. Please, understand that our overall motivation is to preserve the benefits of the AAdvantage program, rather than to take punitive action against individuals. To that end, it’s not unusual for us to release the AAdvantage account suspension once we receive all the detail we request and reconcile it with the results of our investigation. We hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Fname Lname, etc.
Excellent summaries of information (based on the sum of experiences we have seen in this thread over time) of how to respond:

Blogger Gary Leff: "If you made that mistake and got caught, American usually will go light on first-time offenders provided that they ‘come clean’ and are forthcoming about whom a systemwide was sold to or purchased from and what the terms were. They are most interested in serial brokers and are willing to ‘plea bargain’ with minor offenders to get the Evip-lords. There may be a consequence but it should fall short of account shutdown and forfeiture of miles." Link
Originally Posted by sbrower
I am going to try and provide a summary of the advice. For the record, this is 90% from Jon (JonNYC) and a little bit from other comments and circumstances, I am just trying to provide an easy summary, without all the explanations and reasons. I am happy to have others update/correct.

1. Respond to the questions in the email which you received. Don't try to call or email that person, or anyone else, at AA or DOT or whatever. Just answer the email.

2. Answer every question, in detail, with the facts. Don't use sarcasm or "you should know" or anything else that sounds like to you are avoiding the exact question being asked.

3. Assume that they know more about the true facts than you do. It might not always be true, but in most cases they have way more information than you might assume. So go back to #2, above.

4. If you did ANYTHING that was wrong (not under your interpretation of what you think the rules should be, but based on what the rules actually say) then, if you want to continue to participate in the AAdvantage program, tell them about your error and tell them that you are prepared to pay a correct penalty for your mistake (miles/status/etc) and then go back to #2, above.
From JonNYC, our resident expert on this:

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Perfect and 100%.
<snip>

The analysts that do this for a living have the same reactions that any humans do to being lied to and/or condescended to. Therefore, as well as being 100% truthful, go out of your way NOT to be:

-condescending
-brusque
-sharp, terse and/or sounding like you're being inconvenienced
-insulting
-just generally slippery, aloof, evasive and unforthcoming. As mentioned; they know more than you think they do. Always.

DO be apologetic, contrite and extremely cooperative.

Finally, any version of "...in which case, I'll be emailing [insert name or department here] to tell them how I, a [insert years flying AA, status, MMer, $$ spent, etc] customer is being treated" and/or mention of your lawyer, DOT, Chris Elliot (), this forum, any blogger, etc. DO NOT DO THIS.
Older posts have been archived to the
archived thread.

A number of posts regarding AA's confiscation of 60,000 miles from "Mr. Hayes" for allegedly making "fictitious" bookings in search of whether his upgrade would be likely to progress or not, AA IT issues that might have led to this (or not), AA's replies and the USDOT complaint have been moved to a new thread: Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking upgrades.

NOTE: Posts about members experiencing account security breaches, fraud, theft of awards and instruments have moved to Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards stolen, etc..

Print Wikipost

Account audit / blocked / fraud: award / miles / SWU / sale, barter, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by yoyo
He is willing to give me his CC with me being the authorized user.

So is there any risk causing trouble from AA? Sounded like there could be?
If you're actually an authorized user on his CC account with your name on the credit card, then as far as AA is concerned you've paid the fees. Whatever happens on the back end is between the credit card company and your friend.

On the other hand, if you try to use your friend's name and CC number to pay the fees on an award drawn from your account, it likely won't go through, as noted above.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by yoyo
I trust him to tell the truth on this.

Thank you.

He is willing to give me his CC with me being the authorized user.

So is there any risk causing trouble from AA? Sounded like there could be?
As long as your name is on the card, there's not much they can do. And, actually, they probably will not see a name.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
So if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that the miles come from your account and the fees are put on his (passenger's) credit card? I've done this numerous times as both the donor and recipient of the miles with no problem.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ckx2
I had to deal with Corporate Security twice, and from my personal experience, as long as you can provide the necessary information they ask for and don't make a fuzz about it, they are also pretty quick in closing the case. Sometimes it's algorithms triggering investigations. ...
What were the processess they used with you and your account in these cases.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I got the email and replied with sincere apology and all the information requested. Not it has been more than 10 days still no information from AA. Usually how soon you will receive the decision after you reply the email?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hanssen
I got the email and replied with sincere apology and all the information requested. Not it has been more than 10 days still no information from AA. Usually how soon you will receive the decision after you reply the email?
I'd say 10 days is a little unusual under most circumstances. Could be your analyst is on vacation or maybe some other issue, did you definitely tell give all the details they sought?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:05 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rjw242

On the other hand, if you try to use your friend's name and CC number to pay the fees on an award drawn from your account, it likely won't go through, as noted above.
I have found (and it was likely more than a year ago that this happened) that the AA site does not seem to care if the name on the card actually matches what you indicate when paying.

I was logged into my account. Went to pay for something, but mrs. brp was going to pay it. Full details are fuzzy, but the basic idea is that I was able to enter a CC #, expiration date and CCV. However, the "name on the card" was set to mine and not editable.

So, my name and her CC information. Not a hitch.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hanssen
I'd say give it a couple more days, I just heard from someone else who had a slightly delayed response. As long as you told em the truth, I bet it's resolved soon.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by brp
I have found (and it was likely more than a year ago that this happened) that the AA site does not seem to care if the name on the card actually matches what you indicate when paying.

I was logged into my account. Went to pay for something, but mrs. brp was going to pay it. Full details are fuzzy, but the basic idea is that I was able to enter a CC #, expiration date and CCV. However, the "name on the card" was set to mine and not editable.

So, my name and her CC information. Not a hitch.

Cheers.
As far as I know, card processors check CC #, expiration date and CCV and zip code, not names. It's not just AA.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by richarddd
As far as I know, card processors check CC #, expiration date and CCV and zip code, not names. It's not just AA.
Different systems do different checks, some more exhaustive than others. I just tried an order and they confirmed my billing address. Caught me off guard since I didn't remember changing the address for that card.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first numeric value of a billing address is often used.

Some systems use the full billing address - this can create issues for those who live in a multi-dwelling units setting such as a condo or an apartment due to some card issuers' systems would automatically put the Apt / Unit number as the first line and drop the street address to second line, thus cause failure when the first numeric value is checked.

To resolve this, change the billing address in the issuer's record to have the Apt / Unit number to behind the street address, such as 4421 ABC Street, Apt 6A instead of using 2 lines for Street and then Unit/Apt number. This is learned from dealing with Barclays cards.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:58 pm

The main point of my response to brp is that they don't check the name, at least in my experience. Has anyone had a problem because of the name on the card?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The main point of my response to brp is that they don't check the name, at least in my experience. Has anyone had a problem because of the name on the card?
It depends on the merchant and the POS. Some don't ever do it, some do it all the time, and some only when the purchase is from certain high risk POS. It's a variable field that may or may not even be used on all cards. Though most will put the name of the person/company the card was issued to. Its more of a relic of days past when there was no CVC. The advent of the CVC meant there was an easy to ensure the card was actually in the possession of the right person.

BTW the name on the front is not always the authorized user. It's normally the name of the person the card was issued to. They then can give the card to whomever they wish. The person then becomes the authorized user by signing the back of the card. This is why the back say Authorized user's signature and not Cardholders signature.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I

BTW the name on the front is not always the authorized user. It's normally the name of the person the card was issued to. They then can give the card to whomever they wish. The person then becomes the authorized user by signing the back of the card. This is why the back say Authorized user's signature and not Cardholders signature.
I write "See ID" in the signature box. The only place I've ever had an issue with that is at a USPS office where they gave me a hard time for not having an actual signature on the card. The agent eventually relented.

People check less than 50% of the time. And, of those that do check, fully 1/3 (maybe more) are asking for ID anyway, without even looking at my request.

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by brp
I write "See ID" in the signature box. The only place I've ever had an issue with that is at a USPS office where they gave me a hard time for not having an actual signature on the card. The agent eventually relented.

People check less than 50% of the time. And, of those that do check, fully 1/3 (maybe more) are asking for ID anyway, without even looking at my request.

Cheers.
Asking for ID is against credit card company policy unless they ask for it with cash transactions also. Basically the credit card companies say you can't do anything different then you would for a cash transaction. In some states it's technically against the law to ask for ID due to discrimination issues. (again unless it would be done with a cash transaction- such as for alcohol)

Of course what is the rules and what is practiced can be entirely different things.

BTW the reason the post office insists on the back being signed is because of what I mentioned. The signature on the back is truly the authorized user.

Regardless, now back to the regularly scheduled AA discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.