FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Guide: NRT / Tokyo Narita Int'l. Admirals Club & oneworld Lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/682643-guide-nrt-tokyo-narita-intl-admirals-club-oneworld-lounges.html)

travel311 Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

I would appreciate an answer from someone here as I am new and still have a lot to learn. I am booking an award ticket for a family member using AA miles from CHO-ORD-NRT-TPE. The first segment will be AA but ORD-NRT-TPE will be on JAL. If I give this family member a AC one day pass to an AC lounge to use will she be able to use this pass both in ORD and NRT? Despite the one day difference from travel? And I'm assuming that she can only be admitted to the AC lounge in NRT since it is an AC pass?

jobu70 Jan 25, 2013 4:48 pm

First/Business class lounge access

I'm flying to and from Narita in July on American. I am not an Admirals club member but will arrive on a first class ticket and will depart on either business or first class ticket. Can I access the Admirals club and the JAL lounge given my ticket status alone?

Thank you

Dr. HFH Jan 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by travel311 (Post 20079220)
I would appreciate an answer from someone here as I am new and still have a lot to learn. I am booking an award ticket for a family member using AA miles from CHO-ORD-NRT-TPE. The first segment will be AA but ORD-NRT-TPE will be on JAL. If I give this family member a AC one day pass to an AC lounge to use will she be able to use this pass both in ORD and NRT? Despite the one day difference from travel? And I'm assuming that she can only be admitted to the AC lounge in NRT since it is an AC pass?

I would expect that your family member will be able to use the pass exactly once. That said, it s/he is in a premium cabin (J or F), s/he won't need the pass at NRT. At ORD, I don't know if JL departs T3 or T5. AA domestic arrivals and all departures are at T3. If s/he is departing T5, an Admiral's Club pass won't help as I do not believe that there is an Admiral's Club there.

Originally Posted by jobu70 (Post 20124752)
I'm flying to and from Narita in July on American. I am not an Admirals club member but will arrive on a first class ticket and will depart on either business or first class ticket. Can I access the Admirals club and the JAL lounge given my ticket status alone?

Yes. If you're departing NRT in F, you'll probably like the JL F lounge much better than the Admiral's Club.

TheBOSman Jan 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 20124843)
I would expect that your family member will be able to use the pass exactly once. That said, it s/he is in a premium cabin (J or F), s/he won't need the pass at NRT. At ORD, I don't know if JL departs T3 or T5. AA domestic arrivals and all departures are at T3. If s/he is departing T5, an Admiral's Club pass won't help as I do not believe that there is an Admiral's Club there.

JL departs T3 at ORD, usually from the gates closest to the Flagship Lounge.

jobu70 Jan 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Thank you Dr. HFH

My return ticket may only be Business. Will I still be able to access JAL club or is that for F only?

TheBOSman Jan 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jobu70 (Post 20124946)
Thank you Dr. HFH

My return ticket may only be Business. Will I still be able to access JAL club or is that for F only?

What classes will your ticket be and will you be flying with AA or JL? You can access the JAL Sakura lounge if flying JL J, and the JAL F lounge if flying JL F. Otherwise, lounge access to these lounges will depend on status. Both JL lounges are nicer than the NRT AC, though the NRT AC is one of the best in AA's system.

jobu70 Jan 25, 2013 6:21 pm

I haven't booked the ticket yet but it will definitely be an AA flight. If I'm AA First I assume I can at least get into the AC? What if I'm business on AA, can I still access AC at least, if not JAL? Thanks.

TheBOSman Jan 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by jobu70 (Post 20125248)
I haven't booked the ticket yet but it will definitely be an AA flight. If I'm AA First I assume I can at least get into the AC? What if I'm business on AA, can I still access AC at least, if not JAL? Thanks.

If in AA F or J, you will be able to access the AC via your class of service. You "should" be able to access all other lounges as well (with the exception of the JL F if flying J), but Oneworld seems to change the class of service partner lounge access every other week. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

nall Jan 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 20124954)
What classes will your ticket be and will you be flying with AA or JL? You can access the JAL Sakura lounge if flying JL J, and the JAL F lounge if flying JL F. Otherwise, lounge access to these lounges will depend on status. Both JL lounges are nicer than the NRT AC, though the NRT AC is one of the best in AA's system.

So if flying AA F, you have to be OW Emerald to get into the JL F lounge?

TheBOSman Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by nall (Post 20125311)

Not according to the rules as I read them now, but they change the rules (or maybe they have them written both ways in different places on the websites of OW and AA et al) way too often so it doesn't seem reliable. It won't hurt to ask IMO. The JL people seem like they would be very nice about telling you to go to the AC :D.

canyonleo Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by nall (Post 20125311)

My understanding is that if you are in AA F, you can access JAL F lounge; and if you are in AA J, you can access JAL J lounge - no matter your OW status. But, as noted above, things can change.

Dr. HFH Jan 26, 2013 9:26 am

It's my understanding that if you're looking to access the lounge of a OW carrier and you are not a member of that carrier's frequent flyer program, either 1) you have to have elite status in another OW carrier's program and be departing on an OW carrier that day (regardless of the cabin), or 2) you have to be departing on a flight of the carrier operating the lounge and be ticketed in the appropriate premium cabin for the lounge you are trying to access.

tgm33 Jan 26, 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 20128056)
It's my understanding that if you're looking to access the lounge of a OW carrier and you are not a member of that carrier's frequent flyer program...

I'm booked in F on AA 154 NRT-ORD -- does this mean I can sign up for JAL's FF program and I'll be allowed entrance into their first class lounge regardless of my status in that program? From reading JAL's website it sounds like I'm only allowed to access the admiral's club since I'm ticketed on an AA flight but as others have pointed out different websites have different interpretations of the rules, which has left me very confused. Would appreciate any clarification of the rules. Thanks!

JSSAUCE Jan 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by tgm33 (Post 20128572)
I'm booked in F on AA 154 NRT-ORD -- does this mean I can sign up for JAL's FF program and I'll be allowed entrance into their first class lounge regardless of my status in that program? From reading JAL's website it sounds like I'm only allowed to access the admiral's club since I'm ticketed on an AA flight but as others have pointed out different websites have different interpretations of the rules, which has left me very confused. Would appreciate any clarification of the rules. Thanks!

I can tell you this much, I am Exec Plat and have flown on AA and JAL both in F and J. I have always been able to use the first class lounge in NRT and HND. My wife who has no status recently flew NRT-ORD in F. At C/I they directed her to the Admirals Club. She called me looking for the massage and I told her she was in the wrong club, and to go ask at the desk. They said , oh sorry go to the JAL club. She did and again directed her to the Sakura lounge and not the F lounge. She asked again and they said sorry, of course come this way to the F lounge. And of this was in Japanese, and she is Japanese. She had a feeling that they did not make a mistake 3 times, rather they were content to let her not use the F lounge.

teemuflyer Jan 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by tgm33 (Post 20128572)

You'll have access to their F lounge in NRT based off of your F class ticket alone, despite being an AA ticket. This is a OW benefit.