Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle® are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld® itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
One caveat: You'll still have to pay a change fee on most tickets to change the ticket, unless one of these change fee waivers is still in effect at the time. And, you won't be able to change a Basic Economy ticket, unless a waiver is in effect. In other words, pay attention to the fare rules as you would any ticket.
Doesn't buying a ticket in March give you up to a year to make a free change?
islandguy808 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Doesn't buying a ticket in March give you up to a year to make a free change?
I believe so, but the OP said he was buying his ticket later in the year.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:17 am

I believe so, but the OP said he was buying his ticket later in the year.
Yup I did, but if purchasing my ticket in March gives me up to a year to make a one time change, I may as well book it now huh?

Change fee waiver

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 16, 2020 at 5:44 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Hi All,

I have a few quick questions if you will:

1) I have a $1500 PAPER Voucher that I redeemed for a trip CDG - LAX and the trip is about to get cancelled due to the COVID restrictions . I paid the difference of around £200 on top of the voucher. If I was to cancel the trip (When I get a schedule change or AA simply pull the flights) Will I receive another paper voucher for the total amount (Cash + Voucher) or a cash refund and a new voucher ?

2) I redeemed an E-VOUCHER online for a domestic trip which has had a 3 hour schedule change for the same reason as above. If I cancel that saying the new times no longer suit will I receive another e-voucher back plus the extra cash that I can use for a new booking?

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Due to the current long haul schedule cancellations over the next month, or so, I will get caught up in that mess. My hope is that once cancelled, I’ll get a full refund. I notice however that BA still seem to be operating their flights as planned (route is LAX-LHR). Would AA simply switch passengers to the BA flights if still available and can I use the aircraft swap as an excuse to decline the new itinerary? My fear is that as there was an available option, then a full refund would be out of the question and that a voucher is offered.

My worst case is that I only have until June to take the new flights as I booked last June. Best case if I had to take a voucher is that they extend the validity for a full year. When calculating the value of the voucher, does AA simply take the value of the ticket, plus my miles + copay fee, plus the additional UK APD and issue a voucher for that total, or do they refund taxes, possibly the copay and APD to the credit card and issue a voucher for just the base fare?

Also, do I have to use the entire voucher value on a single itinerary, or would this type of voucher allow for residual value as per the VDB/IDB vouchers mentioned in this thread.

TIA
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:38 pm

I have $1000 travel waiver voucher due to cancelled trip due to COVID and it expires end of August 2020. Lets say tomorrow if I book a trip with this travel waiver for any travel before Jan 30, 2021 (according to AA change fee waiver, the new travel has to be before Jan 30, 2021). Can I change the trip (with the free change waiver) to March 2021?

Also, lets say if I book a trip and it cost $600, using up $600 of the $1000 travel voucher leaving me with $400 left. Does that renew the travel voucher to another year?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Also, lets say if I book a trip and it cost $600, using up $600 of the $1000 travel voucher leaving me with $400 left. Does that renew the travel voucher to another year?
Yes when you use part of a voucher the difference is issued as a new voucher with another 1 year from the date of ticketing.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does AA site has a function to convert paper voucher to e-voucher like UA had when it went from paper voucher to e-voucher in years past?

I still have a <$900 paper voucher from canceled ticket in the past, and the voucher is expiring Apr 1st.

No idea the 2 ticketing offices in Florida (one in Ft. Lauderdale, Broward county, one in Coral Gables, Miami Dade county) will still be open, as both counties have ordered non-essential businesses closed, though airlines is among the exempt types. The Ft. Lauderdale office is where we go in the past to issued tickets against paper vouchers.

UPDATE
Ft. Lauderdale city ticketing office still operates.
Residual value is still put on a paper voucher.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 24, 2020 at 6:27 pm
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:20 am

Have a bunch of vouchers that expire the end of April. Will AA allow an extension of the date?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by erik123
Have a bunch of vouchers that expire the end of April. Will AA allow an extension of the date?
Could you spend 'em on something likely to cancel in the near future, then get new vouchers good for a year in return?

Last edited by GrumpyYoungMan; Mar 28, 2020 at 10:47 am Reason: Removed unintentional all-caps
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:21 am

There are $16 fares right now Mia-lax I think (mentioned on OMAAT). Worst case is you could buy one and the remaining certificate funds get reissued with another 12 months of life.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:36 am

Vouchers - Use and Value

I have never I used/received a voucher. I have no idea how they work. My situation is that I have a non-refundable F ticket (TPA-Buf) for travel on 5/1/2020; ticket was issued 9/19/2019. I can not take advantage of any of the scenarios that AA offers to make use of the ticket before 9/19/2020. I assume a voucher could be issued for the value of the ticket. I'm not at at sure how I would go about using the voucher. I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me through the process or point me in the right direction. From my readings of the various postings in the various forums, the value of the voucher are questionable based on their usability relative to the type of travel involved -- fare class etc.. Again, I apologize for not articulating my situation better. Worse comes to worse, I guess I'll have a voucher for my ticket's value to be used under limited conditions. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
Have the same question. Very difficult to contact AA customer svce because they are overwhelmed. I know Marriott extended my free hotel night. Hoping they will provide extension as a courtesy for all vouchers expiring withing a few months but how to go about it. Buying a ticket and canceling it, seems risky unless due to CV you can cancel it without any penalty
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:20 pm

The voucher is "used" once applied to a ticket. However, if you then cancel that ticket, the value of the ticket should be available for use within one year of the issue date of that ticket. I've applied vouchers to tickets that then needed to be changed, often 1-2 times, and have never had an issue with the original voucher amount being lost in the process.
A family member used a voucher in March for nonstop BOS-LAX flights in May. AA switched to connecting flights instead of nonstop. Current policy says that for a cash ticket, you'd receive a cash refund.

Since a voucher was used, will AA issue a new voucher with a 12-month expiration date? Or will it be a credit tied to the passenger which expires next March? I know that in the past, buying a refundable fare with a voucher and later cancelling resulted in a new voucher with another 12-months of life. (According to a post from Happy.) Thanks.

Last edited by rrgg; Apr 10, 2020 at 9:52 am
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:05 am

for summer 2020 travel voluntarily cancelled under the coronavirus waiver, is there a way to convert the credit into an evoucher for easy self-service use in applying to new tickets in the future and for handling residual values left on the voucher? or, am I stuck with the value remaining on the ticket number, requiring a telephone call to use, limited to original passenger name, and poor residual value handling via paper voucher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.