Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle® are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld® itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Originally Posted by bse118
So you're going to throw the voucher away? Are you really not going to book a more simple trip at some point in the year-long validity period of the voucher? If not AA is perfectly happy with you not using it.
An hour of my time is worth much more than the value of this voucher. And, as I understand, booking at the ticket desk at the airport (which I might consider) will involve a surcharge, which will devalue the voucher.

Also, when I book a ticket myself, I almost always book BA or IB. When I need to fly AA in most cases it's booked through our government travel agency.

Originally Posted by zebranz
yes- that is the system. yes- it is from the 90's or maybe 80's. And yes- the web site, GF, and ITA sometimes show (more often on AA multi-city) fares which are not available.

Worse part is there is no reason they cannot do refunds as gift cards which can easily be used on line and never expire.
They can provide e-vouchers as all "normal" airlines (DL, AF, BA etc.) -- even with that it would be much easier to handle

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The airline does refunds to original form of payment. It is only with non refundable fares where it gives vouchers. Giving gift cards would be close to giving a refund

Outiside the US, non refundable normally seems to mean just that and no vouchers or similar would be provided - this seems a lot less 'insulting'
I had a non-refundable ticket booked by a travel agent. Then I upgraded it to P over the phone on the AA EXP service line paying the fare difference from my own credit card, then exchanged the ticket two days before departure to get my SWU cleared -- again over the phone, which involved a downgrade from P to Y on the leg that I was changing (connection in DFW instead of MIA). The fare difference was a result of that downgrade (before a "free" upgrade to J using SWU)
Thysk likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 17, 2019 at 10:52 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chil
An hour of my time is worth much more than the value of this voucher. And, as I understand, booking at the ticket desk at the airport (which I might consider) will involve a surcharge, which will devalue the voucher.
Yet you were willing to construct a complicated itinerary with an agent on phone, throw it away, construct the same itinerary on a website, and come here to post a rant. Instead of simply writing a few extra words on an envelope and putting something in the mail after having the agenda put the itinerary in queue.

Surcharge should be waived when using vouchers. Also, you don't have to go to an airport to ticket. You can mail the voucher. I've done it a couple of times this year. Works fine.

Certainly your choice to throw the voucher away if you think it's not useful. But its not the great imposition you're making it out to be, IMO.

--------

That said. AA can issue electronic voucher for ticket exchanges. I know I've had several like that for simple changes made online without an agent involved.

<posted from my mobile device please excuse any typos>
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had a non-refundable ticket booked by a travel agent. Then I upgraded it to P over the phone on the AA EXP service line paying the fare difference from my own credit card, then exchanged the ticket two days before departure to get my SWU cleared -- again over the phone, which involved a downgrade from P to Y on the leg that I was changing (connection in DFW instead of MIA). The fare difference was a result of that downgrade (before a "free" upgrade to J using SWU)
The reason doesn't matter - if the upgrade to P was to a non-refundable P fare, then getting a voucher is correct. If you had upgraded to a refundable P fare then the amount paid between original non refundable fare and the new higher fare would be refundable and any reduction in that amount would be refunded to original form of payment

If your time is valuable and the voucher is not worth an hour of your time, seems odd to spend time ranting here rather than use that time to address the letter to AA to send the voucher in
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 17, 2019 at 10:06 pm
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Recently I had a fare adjustment from a ticket exchange and AA told me they would issue a voucher for $69.
A week later I received it in the mail (!). Paper voucher with a whole book of conditions stapled to it -- looks like a gift from the 90s.
The voucher states "cannot be used on aa.com". OK...

I tried to call the AA EXP service line to book a ticket and possibly use the voucher (it is stated on it that it can be used over the phone). To be honest, my itinerary constructed using ITA Matrix had the complexity level of about 8/10 -- a combination of 9 cheap business class flights from Europe to Hawaii and back with two stopovers in Boston on three different carriers (AY, BA, AA) priced as AA at about $2,550. So, I was not surprised that it took an agent 40min to construct something similar (with a bit less desirable and $50-60 more expensive HNL-BOS leg via LAX on A321 without a flatbed on a red-eye) and price it within $60 from the ITA (and priceline). Then she asked me for the credit card number, and then the most interesting part came. Apparently, to use this STUPID voucher, I need to either go to the American Airlines ticket office (the nearest one is in Boston Logan) and bring them the voucher, or to mail it to some obscured address in Florida, which they wanted to tell me over the phone and refused to e-mail. If mailed in, I would have to write my name and full itinerary near the return address on the envelope. Really? all 9 segments? Until the voucher has been received, the ticket will stay on hold.

I hung up the phone, looked again at the itinerary on the AA website, looked again at the voucher, then booked a slightly different and better itinerary for $60 cheaper with priceline using Matrix Powertools and pressed the "cancel trip" button on the web-site without any regret. Perhaps I will now frame this stupid voucher and hang it on the wall in my office as a monument to the AA's stupidity.

It looks like the whole system is set up in a way to prevent people from using these vouchers. If so, then what's the point of issuing them at all?
The ticket may stay on hold, but immediately upgradable space is not held.

The airline does refunds to original form of payment. It is only with non refundable fares where it gives vouchers. Giving gift cards would be close to giving a refund

Outiside the US, non refundable normally seems to mean just that and no vouchers or similar would be provided - this seems a lot less 'insulting'
What is the rationale for not allowing the paper voucher to be used on aa.com for a held itinerary?

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 17, 2019 at 10:52 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jcatman
What is the rationale for not allowing the paper voucher to be used on aa.com for a held itinerary?
I doubt the IT system can handle it. Either that or the carrier pidgeon union wont allow it to happen.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by bse118

It's cumbersome, archaic process, yes. But it works.
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. There are many documented cases of it not working. Many cases of the voucher being mailed to the address and then gotten lost in the bowels of AA.

Everyone has there own level of tolerance for putting up with this archaic time consuming system. An interesting question is, at what paper voucher $ amount is everyone's balance point for bothering to apply the paper voucher or tossing it? Mine is probably $75.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
I rarely post on the AAdvantage forum and from now on will try my best to avoid it at all. The atmosphere here is arrogant, hostile, and aggressive because of the stupid fanboy culture, which one can typically encounter only on Apple forums. Summarizing it in one sentence: "If AA does it it must be good and if you don't like it, you must be dumb" I'm not dumb and I'm not "ranting" unlike some of you with tens of thousands of posts on FT.

all the best and farewell
enviroian and robertablake like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I rarely post on the AAdvantage forum and from now on will try my best to avoid it at all. The atmosphere here is arrogant, hostile, and aggressive because of the stupid fanboy culture, which one can typically encounter only on Apple forums. Summarizing it in one sentence: "If AA does it it must be good and if you don't like it, you must be dumb" I'm not dumb and I'm not "ranting" unlike some of you with tens of thousands of posts on FT.

all the best and farewell
I am not clear on what you were looking for with your post.
If you want people to agree with everything you say, this is not the place.
In reading the responses, I saw varying opinions on what AA did. I do not think anyone indicate AA was totally awesome for giving you paper vouchers.
insulting people here is not going to fix your paper voucher issue. If I were you, I would complain to AA, especially via their social media platforms
I think the vast majority of us agree, paper vouchers are way behind times.
Vouchers are good for a year, and I certainly wouldn't use it for a complicated ticket that would require spending a lot of time with a phone agent.
BTW, even if you tell them you want to send the voucher in, causing them to externd the hold time, I have been able to do that and, instead, go to the airport and give it to a ticket agent there, as when I was getting such vouchers I was going to be at an airport within 2 weeks anyway.
moondog and LovePrunes like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

When the original vouchers are electronic and the replacements are paper- it is a bit of a pain. The replacements should be electronic. When I had one earlier this year and was at the airport, I was told I had to wait until all people were checked in for the flight before they issue tickets (of course PSP is not manned well). I was traveling (therefore not a special trip) stopping in SFO and did it there fairly painlessly.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
I did a quick search but with 40+ pages I did not see this. If an AA schedule changes makes my flight (booked with a paper voucher) impossible will my refund come as a paper voucher again? Will the expiration date be the same as the original flight or one year from the refund?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 4:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American Airlines Finally Provides Domestic Refunds Electronically (No More Paper Vouchers!)
by Gary Leff on November 28, 2019

American Airlines has begun issuing evouchers for domestic refunds (50 United States, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico) instead of giving out paper vouchers...

Customers can check the status of their refund on prefunds.aa.com and will see that an email has been sent

The email will contain the voucher and PIN. — link to article on View From the Wing
The current thread specific for discussion of e-vouchers issued for those in US 50 + USVI, PR is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ov-2019-a.html
AeRoSpaceman and robertablake like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:31 am

Had a great experience using my paper voucher for travel in September 2020.

I found an itinerary I liked on Friday 12/27 and held the reservation on AA.com, called web support per the Wiki to apply the paper voucher, and promptly mailed them off at the post office the same day using certified mail ($3.50 extra).

My vouchers arrived in Pensacola, Florida yesterday 12/30, and this morning 12/31 I received emails that everything was ticketed, plus a notification that a new voucher for the remainder plus waived taxes would be issued to me.

All said an done, the entire process took only 3 business days!
I thought about taking it to the airport to ticket, but didn't want to waste parking fees and risk the agent not knowing how to take the taxes off.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:10 pm

Paper voucher - capabilities and do’s/dont’s

I have a paper travel voucher and “held” an international flight. One leg is operated by Iberia. Upon arrival to airport to process was informed AA ticketing desk can’t process b/c it’s not operated by AA but to call AA to get them to change record locator to reflect AA. When I called they said they couldn’t do that but that they were able to process from their end. All I needed to do was just mail in the vouchers with some additional info.....
ahhhh the much debated mailing in option.....
my question is whether anyone has ever heard of this working for them: mailing in paper voucher for int’l travel on an AA flight operated by non-AA airline.
My AA app says I’ve been switched from “holding’ to “pending”.... which makes me think guy on phone was legit about this actually working.
thanks all
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I've updated the wikipost with the current guideline for returning the paper vouchers to Pensacola, FL. Also did some other minor fine tuning.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I used a paper voucher for international travel in economy. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to fly the itinerary due to illness of a member of my family. I am assuming there is no way or resurrecting the voucher that was used as part payment for the ticket (250USD I think). Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.