Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle® are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld® itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by zogster
When you mail in the voucher, does the reservation initially get charged to a credit card, and then credit is issued to the card later?
Nope. When the voucher arrives its value is credited to the booking and the ticket is issued if the total amount required has been met.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Nope. When the voucher arrives its value is credited to the booking and the ticket is issued if the total amount required has been met.
Thanks for the quick reply. So if I need a receipt for expense reporting purposes (approved by employer to use voucher) then I should reserve the flight and go to the airport to redeem the voucher? e.g. I want to print off my record locator receipt online and show I have paid for the flight - partially with a voucher - and then send in the PDF of the receipt to be reimbursed. I assume the record locator is then available to print off the receipt after that?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Gfish
I have an unused ticket voucher for about $850 that was booked 6/27/18 so I know I have to start travel by 6/27/19. Any suggestions on best way to use given I don’t need to travel between now and then? Thanks.
I'm in a similar boat. Voucher expires in a couple of weeks so I just booked a $42 flight PHX-LAS on Sep 18 so I should get a new voucher for the remaining amount and another year.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zogster
Thanks for the quick reply. So if I need a receipt for expense reporting purposes (approved by employer to use voucher) then I should reserve the flight and go to the airport to redeem the voucher? e.g. I want to print off my record locator receipt online and show I have paid for the flight - partially with a voucher - and then send in the PDF of the receipt to be reimbursed. I assume the record locator is then available to print off the receipt after that?
If I recall correctly, I received an email when the ticket was issued with the updated amounts, but I don't recall the exact breakdown of what was shown.

If you're saying your employer approved you using the voucher and then reimbursing you cash, that's really not territory I'd want to stray into, for the same reason that using miles is almost always not reimbursable because you're not incurring an out-of-pocket expense and it's not deductible for the business. At least you asked first rather than trying to pull a fast one. But I still wouldn't do this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
This is an exceptionally long thread so I apologize if this has already been answered. I booked a flight using a voucher via phone/mail. They received the voucher yesterday and the flight is now ticketed. The price has dropped considerably (no big deal but may be relevant). However, I cannot get the numbers to add up on the cost summary.

My original flight was $1010 (600 in fare, 100 in fees, and 310 in taxes if it matters)
My voucher was $1000
Today's price is $700
The cost summary page says $350.

My card has not been charged. Is it going to be? Am I getting voucher dollars back?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Update: I was emailed an evoucher for a seemingly random amount (I assume this is the original fare less some taxes that don't apply on these). The total cost has no impact on it.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi,

I'm in the UK and the process that I used in the past to get a transportation voucher applied was to make and hold a booking online and then call up to do the rest.

However, the itinerary I'm trying to book (see image attached) cannot be held online. Would I still be able to use the voucher? Would I have to call though? I imagine they should charge a telephone booking fee if so?

Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: American, JetBlue, Hilton, Dollar
I had a good experience cashing in a paper voucher at BOS a couple of weeks ago. I put the reservation on hold that morning and got the airport early for a flight so I had time to deal with the voucher. The flight was $782 (online price), and my voucher was $700. Rep seemed to know what he was doing, and checked in with two other reps a couple of times to clarify. However, none of them understood when I asked about taxes being removed and told me that didn't apply because the voucher was less than the total cost. I hadn't looked into specifics beforehand, so I let it go and paid the full $82 with a credit card. Now reading through this thread, it looks like I would have been entitled to having some of the taxes removed. Do I have any recourse for a refund of those taxes at this point? I tried calling AA and the customer service rep told me I was charged correctly, but I don't think I was. Any suggestions, or do I just let it go?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by lirwin13
I had a good experience cashing in a paper voucher at BOS a couple of weeks ago. I put the reservation on hold that morning and got the airport early for a flight so I had time to deal with the voucher. The flight was $782 (online price), and my voucher was $700. Rep seemed to know what he was doing, and checked in with two other reps a couple of times to clarify. However, none of them understood when I asked about taxes being removed and told me that didn't apply because the voucher was less than the total cost. I hadn't looked into specifics beforehand, so I let it go and paid the full $82 with a credit card. Now reading through this thread, it looks like I would have been entitled to having some of the taxes removed. Do I have any recourse for a refund of those taxes at this point? I tried calling AA and the customer service rep told me I was charged correctly, but I don't think I was. Any suggestions, or do I just let it go?
Was the flight domestic or international? The vouchers are exempt from most of the domestic taxes but they are not exempt from international taxes....
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: American, JetBlue, Hilton, Dollar
The flight is international to the Caribbean. Thanks for pointing that out. I know US airport fees and foreign airport charges still apply, so the only US tax I see is a US International Transportation Tax for $37. Maybe since it's international I would have to pay that anyway? I'm not complaining... $82 for a flight is great deal. Just making sure the voucher was processed correctly! Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:40 am

AA always sends me a paper voucher for the residual after using a paper voucher. A family member did the same this month and received an eVoucher back instead.

Are some eVouchers tax exempt? I saw a post here and here implying this. See also the quoted recent posts below.

Or do I have to request AA to send a paper voucher now to fix this? Thank you.

Originally Posted by Tries
I booked a flight with my $800 paper voucher and after receiving my voucher in FL, [text omitted] I called them to learn that they won't mail paper vouchers as it was in the past and they'll issue me an eVoucher instead.
Originally Posted by UserMark
I recently redeemed my paper DV vouchers and got eVouchers for the residual, which was a surprise. [text omitted]... eVouchers do not seem to have a type (DV, OU, CI, etc). I am concerned that when I redeem the eVoucher, I will not get the tax savings that I would have gotten if I used a paper DV voucher. Has that been other people's experience? Do eVouchers have a type that we just don't see online?

Last edited by rrgg; Jul 19, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Hi all I have a $1500 voucher I received for a trip in vain which arrived in the UK today. The voucher is a full refund of the price I paid for a trip

I am confused regarding the taxes If I was to book the exact same ticket again at the same cost can I use the voucher as full cash payment or does it not cover some of the taxes?

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Hi all I have a $1500 voucher I received for a trip in vain which arrived in the UK today. The voucher is a full refund of the price I paid for a trip

I am confused regarding the taxes If I was to book the exact same ticket again at the same cost can I use the voucher as full cash payment or does it not cover some of the taxes?

Thanks
You would be able to book the same ticket, when you pay with a voucher some of the US taxes are waived so you might have a small value left on your voucher actually.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Thanks @MathMusic I actually also forgot to mention the voucher is marked as OU if that had any relevance ?

My next issue is being able to hold the fare to be able to pay it as you can't hold fares online with more than one oneworld carrier on it. Maybe the call centre will help

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Thanks @MathMusic I actually also forgot to mention the voucher is marked as OU if that had any relevance ?

My next issue is being able to hold the fare to be able to pay it as you can't hold fares online with more than one oneworld carrier on it. Maybe the call centre will help

Thanks
OU vouchers are not tax-exempt, i.e., no adjustments for taxes. This makes sense in your case because you're basically getting a refund for the trip, including the taxes you paid. In any event, the tax adjustment is of US domestic taxes, and it sounds like you're purchasing an international ticket.

You can call, and you should be able to provide the voucher number to the agent. You'll mail in the voucher, and your ticket will be pending until the voucher is received and applied, after which the ticket will be ticketed.
cgtechuk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.