Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chance of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2024 Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
When upgrade space becomes available, the available seats are given in order of tier, type of upgrade and rolling 12 month loyalty point count. In cases of a tie breaker, then the booking code and time of upgrade request are considered.
The process applies to flights eligible for complimentary upgrades (domestic, Caribbean, Mexico) as well as flights offering upgrades using only instruments.

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade types available on American Airlines marketed & operated flights (other partner airline codeshare flight numbers operated on AA are not eligible
  1. Instrument based upgrade: Mileage upgrade award(with or without copay), systemwide upgrade (SWU) and business Extra upgrades (BXP1/BXP3) available to any AA customer with or without elite status for any AA flight in the world based on availability
  2. Complimentary upgrades on purchased tickets within North America for AAdvantage elite members and one flying companion
  3. Complimentary upgrades on award tickets within North America for AAdvantage elite members and one flying companion
Then, by
1. Loyalty Points earned in prior 12 months at the time the upgrade is processed.
2. Booking class
3. Time of request

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...y-upgrades.jsp

What order are upgrades confirmed?
As soon as your upgrade window opens, we'll attempt to confirm in this order:
  • AAdvantage status level (ConciergeKey members are first, followed by AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, AAdvantage Platinum and then AAdvantage Gold members)
  • Upgrades on purchased tickets first, followed by upgrades on award tickets
  • 12-month rolling Loyalty Points
If the upgrade type and 12-month rolling Loyalty Points value are the same well look at the booking code then date/time of the request to determine prioritization.

General observations have been flights TO a hub, even with multiple seats open/for sale J7+, will not be upgraded until closer to T-27.

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.
Link to the 2023 archived thread.
For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

​​
Print Wikipost

Chance of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2024 Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2024, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by diburning
Is there a page that shows me how many LPs I've earned in the rolling 12-month period?
Yes, the Excel spreadsheet where you manually track this yourself.
jmrp, zip10001, JustDandy and 2 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hilton (Lifetime Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); IHG (Diamond); Hyatt (Globalist)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That is correct, if EF shows C space available then you can confirm the upgrade immediately when you call in. No waitlist.

As always just make sure you are using the "Awards & Upgrades" search ar EF and search segment by segment, not the whole itinerary.
Thank you for your reply. As a non-status AA member I didn't have much history with using miles/co pay for upgrades. I have flown several business/first international trips using my own miles to book awards on partners over the years, but this was new to me trying to upgrade a domestic AA flight. I was able to get a free 5 day expert flyer trial and was able to look over all the options for C availability. After several days I finally found a confirmable route from ALB-ORD-LAX that worked for me (I now realize how tough confirmable space is to find from CLT/DFW/ORD direct to places like LAX). I booked the economy ticket with my corporate card and then called AA to confirm the upgrade for 15,000 miles + $75 on my personal card. I opted for the call back since it was a 1h48m estimated hold time haha. Customer Service was top quality, although I did have to wait almost 20 minutes for them to actually confirm everything and for me to be able to see it on my screen, after payment went through. I wasn't hanging up until I had email confirmation. Anyway, all is confirmed and seats are selected, and for that price to fly almost 8 hours I'll take it any day.

This was booked and upgrade confirmed for a flight that is 9 days out, fyi.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA
~ 500k EP traveling with companion

Saturday Morning PHL-DFW on the 787: #5 & #6 on a 60-person deep upgrade list, no clears
Sunday Night DFW-MKE: #3 & #4, four cleared at gate - three seats open and one no-show
Wednesday Evening MKE-PHL: #1 & #2, cleared about 10 hours out and one cleared at the gate
Old May 17, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
5/17 AA1257 PHL-ATL - 2 out of 26 on list cleared at the gate on a 319.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; AA EXP / 2MM Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Globalist
I was able to clear on JFK-LHR on AA 100 on May 4th a few days out (3-4 days) with SWU. I do not recall seeing anyone clearing at the gate but it was pretty easy to clear a few days out with C space visible in expertflyer
Old May 22, 2024, 6:51 pm

BOS/MIA #6 out of 48, 2 cleared on way down - cleared at t-10 on way home

367k LPs in 2023
Old May 22, 2024, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Recent flights from the past two weeks:
  • BOS-PHL (738) cleared at the window on a Monday evening.
  • PHL-BOS (319) cleared at the window.
  • BNA-PHL (319) paid the fare difference (way less than the app upgrade) as it was J1 a week out and Y seats were not good. Thursday evening.
  • PHL-BOS (321) also up-fared. The flight went out with a lengthy list, but one open seat (things were getting hectic with IROPS).
  • BOS-DFW (321) cleared at the window for the 2nd to last flight out on Monday evening. J was wide open until the platinum window.
  • DFW-BOS (321) also cleared at the window.

All flights had 20-25 (30+ for Dallas) on the list with maybe 1 clearing. The app upgrades also made no sense for any of these flights, which could partially be why the cabins were wide open.

Legacy shuttle flights are looking good for next week
Old May 25, 2024, 9:36 am

May 23 - AA1257 ATL-PHL - was #6 out of 28. (~225 rolling LPs. #1 has 600k+ rolling LPs.) No one cleared.
Old May 28, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
LAX-JFK on 5/27: was #4 on the upgrade to J with 1 seat available (EXP, ~250k LP).

Meanwhile, 5 seats in F were available and noticed at least 2 AA employees in plain clothes in those seats (cleared from stand-by to F). But that's another topic.
Old May 28, 2024, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zip10001
LAX-JFK on 5/27: was #4 on the upgrade to J with 1 seat available (EXP, ~250k LP).

Meanwhile, 5 seats in F were available and noticed at least 2 AA employees in plain clothes in those seats (cleared from stand-by to F). But that's another topic.
I believe the policy is those seats are not upgraded able, so how is that another topic?
TWA884 and ryanbriar like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I believe the policy is those seats are not upgraded able, so how is that another topic?
You can upgrade using a SWU or miles - AA just doesnt offer it for free.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
- DFW to CLT (5/22) - cleared at 100 hour mark
- CLT to SXM (5/22) - No. 1 on list - no one cleared (was a 319 with 8 FC seats - yuck) - my wife and I were sitting in different rows in coach and after takeoff (completely unprompted), a senior FA made someone else move a row back (out of a bulkhead row) so we could sit together (I apologized to the guy, but I don't think he accepted it)
- SXM to MIA (5/26) - No.1 on list - no one cleared
- MIA to DFW (5/26) - No.1 on list - FC showed full, but right before door closed, they came offer me one seat (I declined as my wife and I did not want to split up - yes, of course I offered it to her, but if I won't take it, she won't either)

Were 35-40 people on the upgrade list in each instance.

CK - unknown what my 12 month rolling LPs are
Old May 28, 2024, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
You can upgrade using a SWU or miles - AA just doesnt offer it for free.
Correct, I should have mentioned that.
Old May 30, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Upgrades for Non-EXP/PP

Given all the (imo) mediocre data points for EXPs lately, some with very high LPs, are Gold or Platinum elites upgrading at all anymore? It would be interesting to see someone speak to what the 2023 year as a Platinum was like.
Old May 30, 2024, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PowerLu
Given all the (imo) mediocre data points for EXPs lately, some with very high LPs, are Gold or Platinum elites upgrading at all anymore? It would be interesting to see someone speak to what the 2023 year as a Platinum was like.
It happens but rarely, being a lifetime PLT I'm happy with my MCE seat at booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.