Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chance of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2024 Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
When upgrade space becomes available, the available seats are given in order of tier, type of upgrade and rolling 12 month loyalty point count. In cases of a tie breaker, then the booking code and time of upgrade request are considered.
The process applies to flights eligible for complimentary upgrades (domestic, Caribbean, Mexico) as well as flights offering upgrades using only instruments.

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade types available on American Airlines marketed & operated flights (other partner airline codeshare flight numbers operated on AA are not eligible
  1. Instrument based upgrade: Mileage upgrade award(with or without copay), systemwide upgrade (SWU) and business Extra upgrades (BXP1/BXP3) available to any AA customer with or without elite status for any AA flight in the world based on availability
  2. Complimentary upgrades on purchased tickets within North America for AAdvantage elite members and one flying companion
  3. Complimentary upgrades on award tickets within North America for AAdvantage elite members and one flying companion
Then, by
1. Loyalty Points earned in prior 12 months at the time the upgrade is processed.
2. Booking class
3. Time of request

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...y-upgrades.jsp

What order are upgrades confirmed?
As soon as your upgrade window opens, we'll attempt to confirm in this order:
  • AAdvantage® status level (ConciergeKey® members are first, followed by AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro®, AAdvantage Platinum® and then AAdvantage Gold® members)
  • Upgrades on purchased tickets first, followed by upgrades on award tickets
  • 12-month rolling Loyalty Points
If the upgrade type and 12-month rolling Loyalty Points value are the same we’ll look at the booking code then date/time of the request to determine prioritization.

General observations have been flights TO a hub, even with multiple seats open/for sale J7+, will not be upgraded until closer to T-27.

Link to 2020-2021 archived thread.
Link to the 2023 archived thread.
For previous changes, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

​​
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

If I drop a status level in January do I get upgraded based on the higher status I held at booking or the status on the actual day of departure?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If I drop a status level in January do I get upgraded based on the higher status I held at booking or the status on the actual day of departure?
By the book it's your status on the day of departure that counts, however with AA sometimes an old status can "stick" to a reservation if it changes from the time you book it to the time you fly. YMMV.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It's your status on the day of departure that matters, not when booked. That said, sometimes status levels can be "sticky" in the reservation so it's possible that the system would still show your old status and you might get upgraded based on that. But if the "system" refreshes your reservation or anything, then it will likely be reset to your new, lower status and that is what your upgrade priority would be based on.

If you old status holds in the reservation consider it a gift, but you should plan for/expect the lower status to be reflected and shouldn't be miffed if that is how it goes down.

Regards
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
What is my chances of an upgrade on a PHX-CLT red eye? Ditto for PHX-PHL or PHX-MIA. TIA!
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by skviolet98
What is my chances of an upgrade on a PHX-CLT red eye? Ditto for PHX-PHL or PHX-MIA. TIA!
16.7%
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Without status? Pretty low.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
Without status? Pretty low.
lol, sorry. Platinum.

I guess my question is, which has the best chance of upgrading. My guess is PHX-MIA is approximately 0%
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:13 pm

AA Gold

12/25/23
MDT-CLT #1525 A319 - cleared with companion around T-12 (overnight). Ended up not on the flight, as it had issues upon arrival to MDT and was delayed. They weren't sure they'd get a plane that day, so we drove to BWI to pick up:
BWI-CLT #2260 A319 - Agent at ticket counter at MDT rebooked us into row 1. This flight ended up delayed a few hours as well.
CLT-MSY #2615 A321 - cleared with companion around T-12. Ended up not on the flight, as my BWI-CLT flight that replaced the MDT-CLT flight was also delayed. Rebooked onto:

12/26
CLT-MSY #1526 A321 - cleared with companion a few minutes after rebooking the previous night's missed connection.

It was a stressful travel day, as we were leaving on a cruise on 12/26. Got comped a hotel stay in CLT and a meal voucher ($12/each). Waited in the check in line at the Courtyard by Marriott BG Parkway for about 90 minutes. Got a room around 2am.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:35 pm

lol, sorry. Platinum.

I guess my question is, which has the best chance of upgrading. My guess is PHX-MIA is approximately 0%
Pretty low even as Platinum. I cleared as EXP on a recent PHX-PHL redeye, but the list was 35+ long. Hard to know how many were EXPs. I was fully expecting to be in my exit row seat, but was called to the podium about 15 minutes before boarding.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Pretty low even as Platinum. I cleared as EXP on a recent PHX-PHL redeye, but the list was 35+ long. Hard to know how many were EXPs. I was fully expecting to be in my exit row seat, but was called to the podium about 15 minutes before boarding.
Well where were you on the list and how many LPs do you have? that would give a pretty good idea as to how many EXPs were on the flight.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Well where were you on the list and how many LPs do you have? that would give a pretty good idea as to how many EXPs were on the flight.
#4 after OLCI, #2 at gate. 275k LPs
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
I would guess maybe 5 of those were EXP. As PPRO I was consistently 1 or 2 on the list of 20 plus on PHL and EWR routes. Just made EXP so well see how it goes for 2024.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Maybe we can close this one down and create a 2024 edition?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:24 am

Not the answer I was hoping for but thanks for the info.

My mom gets upgraded regularly as a gold on the PHX-DCA red eye.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:30 am

Not the answer I was hoping for but thanks for the info.

My mom gets upgraded regularly as a gold on the PHX-DCA red eye.
I was traveling in mid-December and flights back east were impacted by storms on the East Coast, so that may have had something to do with it. Two friends that were on the same flight are Gold and were 12/13 on the list. So not many Plat Pro and Plats between me and them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.