Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Program Changes for 2024-2025

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
I am curious to see how many miles the FFD passes will cost. Oftentimes, F isn't that much more expensive than J (there was that amazing F deal to SYD last year, where F was only 10k more than J), so if I had to choose between using 25k miles to access FFD during a long layover in DFW on a domestic itinerary, or spring for F on an international trip for just 15k more miles, it's a pretty easy choice.
I know it's going away but if you're already willing to spring for J on the A321T transcons, the incremental step up to F is money extremely well spent.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I also see nothing here to make EXP more attractive. It's all nice stuff but you don't need to be EXP to get any of it. I was sort of hoping for a bump up in the qualification requirement to winnow the ranks a bit.

I have a BE ticket for late this month that I am desperate to change but it looks like that benefit comes too late to help me. Longer term I see this "benefit" as a back door way to re-introduce change fees generally.
jpsj and PowerLu like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
No way am I spending any miles for Flagship Dining. Not a big deal to me - if you get in Flagship lounge - the buffet is fine.

At some airports like LAX, an Emerald can just go to the Qantas F Lounge at LAX for sit down dining. So just skip the Flagship.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Herb687
I know it's going away but if you're already willing to spring for J on the A321T transcons, the incremental step up to F is money extremely well spent.
But this wouldn't get you into FFD since there is no facility at JFK anymore and at LAX, it's been closed since Covid with no signs of reopening.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I was just hoping for one thing, that didn't materialize unfortunately: Plat status for 1MM to match DL and UA.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ty97
I was just hoping for one thing, that didn't materialize unfortunately: Plat status for 1MM to match DL and UA.
I suspect there are too many credit card/bank MMers due to the previous “all miles count” rule.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Partner awards

• Upgrade with our partners: You’ll be able to redeem miles for upgrades with select airline partners in 2024
What exactly is one's takeaway from this? Does this mean there will be new airlines to redeem miles with and new one world members?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by enviroian
  • Upgrade with our partners: You’ll be able to redeem miles for upgrades with select airline partners in 2024
What exactly is one's takeaway from this?
That in 2024, in theory at least, you will be able to redeem miles for upgrades with select airline partners.
Does this mean there will be new airlines to redeem miles with and new one world members?
No.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
But this wouldn't get you into FFD since there is no facility at JFK anymore and at LAX, it's been closed since Covid with no signs of reopening.
You will get access to Chelsea (and Soho) in JFK. J gets you Greenwich.

But yes, I agree that the amounts that AA wants for F from J, while small by F standards, are still way more than I think AA F is worth.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Mostly crumbs now that the huge devaluation took place. (Lax-Eze in J 200k miles one way, Alaska still 45k on LATAM).

the only way I get value out of my miles is to book a crap routing and wait for a schedule change. Depending on who you get on the phone, you can change it to a better routing (or HUCA).

if the 5 day holds on awards are going away, it’s a net negative. I font know why they would announce it otherwise, there already is a 24 hour hold on paid fares.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by beachfan
if the 5 day holds on awards are going away, it’s a net negative. I font know why they would announce it otherwise, there already is a 24 hour hold on paid fares.
Nothing was mentioned about the 5 day award holds going away so I'm not sure where this fear is coming from?

The only change to ticket holds is that you now must be an AAdvantage member to put a paid ticket on the free 24 hr hold. Previously you didn't need to be a member to use this feature.

Award holds by default have always required you to be an AAdvantage member, so this wasn't a new benefit they could advertise, rather just nothing is changing in that regard.
dw, wrp96, bse118 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Well, thats better than four seat coupons which are completely worthless for anyone with status.
Valued at most at $25, the 1k LPs it is certainly better than nothing, but also close to nothing.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
Don't Y and B fares usually cost more than the lowest available business class fares (and certainly more than the lowest available premium economy fares) if purchased a reasonable amount of time in advance?

I would guess this benefit would be mostly used by people who fly last minute when only Y or B may be available but are required to fly economy under their corporate travel policies.

Originally Posted by JC_Charlotte
I found this by googling. Not sure if it's final but no cash for upgrades would be great. Looks like BA and IB and only full-fare...

Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
If they've been around for years, maybe they're expanding the benefit to more partners and/or more fare classes?

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
These mileage upgrades on BA/IB have been around for years, nothing new there.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by cova
No way am I spending any miles for Flagship Dining. Not a big deal to me - if you get in Flagship lounge - the buffet is fine.

At some airports like LAX, an Emerald can just go to the Qantas F Lounge at LAX for sit down dining. So just skip the Flagship.
Wouldn't an AA Emerald need to be traveling internationally for this? As opposed to non-AA Emeralds, who could access it with any same-day ticket international or domestic? The focus here is new benefits for AA members.

Either way, the Qantas F Lounge probably isn't conveniently located to most of AA's gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.