Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Program Changes for 2024-2025

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:09 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
To start, travelers will (finally) be able to earn redeemable miles and additional Loyalty Points when they pay with cash to upgrade to a premium cabin.

PRETTTTTTTTy Pretty PRETTTTTTAAAAYYY GOOD!!!!!!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JC_Charlotte
I found this by googling. Not sure if it's final but no cash for upgrades would be great. Looks like BA and IB and only full-fare...
These mileage upgrades on BA/IB have been around for years, nothing new there.
ijgordon, Antarius and safari ari like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
**Applause for AA**

I think they really did a good job on these enhancements (and I really think these are truly enhancements that benefit AAdvantage members). Kudos!
LovePrunes and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Curious what the rate for FFD dining will be, as well as stipulations. Isn't a daypass to FL currently $150? Does one need to have access to FL before purchasing FFD pass, or is it all encompassing, that you get FFD/FL access. Think that will determine the price, as I could see it being ~$300 all-inclusive, but would guess $150-200 for just FFD access (if you're FL eligible, based on Business Plus costs as well), which would be 15-20k miles?
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So I can buy an AA PE ticket from say MIA-LHR and use 25K miles RT to upgrade to business? What buckets is this coming from? How does/can one confirm at booking only? Does it cover positioning flights too? This may be a very good way to use points.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Unremarkable changes - I'd like to see something like 4 x drink chits or similar for the 15k LP level so we could upgrade the paint thinner liquors to something more palatable.

That being said, I think the LP program is an excellent evolution of AAdvantage and the program itself offers real tangible benefits, particularly at PPRO/EP with OW Emerald.

I pray that AA don't adopt DL's horrid practice of considering C+ an 'upgrade', much less their SkyClub restrictions and qualification thresholds for which you get the pleasure of flying rickety old 767s transatlantic among other things. Premium carrier indeed.

We have it good over here all things considered.
lowfareair, AAway, jacket1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
These mileage upgrades on BA/IB have been around for years, nothing new there.
Yeah, those are the ones with the co-pays aren't they?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by enviroian
So I can buy an AA PE ticket from say MIA-LHR and use 25K miles RT to upgrade to business? What buckets is this coming from? How does/can one confirm at booking only? Does it cover positioning flights too? This may be a very good way to use points.
These BA/IB mileage upgrades have been around for 10 years now. They are only good from full fare buckets which makes them practically worthless unless you just happen to have corporate rates that book into full fares. In most cases you can just buy discount business for cheaper.

So yes, you can buy a $4000 premium economy ticket from MIA-LHR and upgrade for 25k miles or whatever it is.

There is ample discussion about these below in the dedicated thread:

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Wow I was really expecting them to increase the number of miles required to get status
scoonee, Antarius and Tack like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
These BA/IB mileage upgrades have been around for 10 years now. They are only good from full fare buckets which makes them practically worthless unless you just happen to have corporate rates that book into full fares. In most cases you can just buy discount business for cheaper.

So yes, you can buy a $4000 premium economy ticket from MIA-LHR and upgrade for 25k miles or whatever it is.

There is ample discussion about these below in the dedicated thread:

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
lol. Okay I saw full fare economy on the chart but it didn't say full fare PE. Verdict: 100% useless.

BOB coming back? Free snack for EXP while in main?

Additional airlines SWU redemption possibilities?

Nope.

Not a thing added to make EXP what it used to be. It's the new gold.

FWIW I received my new EXP welcome "pack" this week. Now only 1 luggage tag (I don't use them anyway so technically moot) and no credit card for your status. I honestly was surprised AA didn't stuff a Barclay's app in there.
onlyquestions likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:43 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by donotblink
Wow I was really expecting them to increase the number of miles required to get status
Yes, I was expecting something like 50/90/150/250.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:47 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I pray that AA don't adopt DL's horrid practice of considering C+ an 'upgrade'
This was allegedly getting prepped for a rollout before Covid, but it was shelved. There was some quote from either DP or another executive about anticipated temporary fallout from elites after the rollout of “domestic premium economy” (and no, they were not talking about PE on widebodies sold as PE on Hawaii flights).

Considering how few MCE seats there are on the 737s, which fly a substantial portion of domestic flying, and their religious adherence to D0 (2 upgrade lists = more work for agents prior to boarding) it probably isn’t worth the effort for AA to revisit at this point.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The main positive minor thing is the 1k LPs crumbs thrown at us at the 15k level.
dw, renila, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This is interesting. Does anyone know when the basic economy change option goes live? I just bought a domestic BE fare last week for travel in March. Not that I plan to change my plans, but I'm just curious.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Even before the switch to LP’s, I had been EP for 6 years and was in the process of dropping AAdvantage for BAEC because chasing EP under the old system was exhausting. I fall into the camp that likes how this program has evolved. I’m able to hold Emerald status now on two OW carriers. PPro isn’t EP, but I’m happy with that level. Add in these new changes, especially the earn on the app buy up offers and I think AA has done a great job of balancing this program between their needs and ours. cheers!
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.