Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Program Changes for 2024-2025

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:10 am

Nothing remarkable, but no complaints. A lot of small changes providing an opportunity for some fanfare. The 18 month window on trip credit is nice, as is the 1,000 LPs at the 15k level (I legitimately cannot understand the existing benefits for anyone that will qualify for any status). Otherwise, I'm just glad that I'll easily requalify in 2024-25 given thresholds remain the same.

Just waiting for the partner award shoe to drop, and hoping to redeem 90k for JAL's new first class, and maybe one more QR J redemption to Africa/Middle East before that happens!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:12 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The Flagship Dinning is huge, no more need to chose them as a LP milestone. Awesome to have the ability to redeem Flagship Dinning on every domestic flight.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Unremarkable changes - I'd like to see something like 4 x drink chits or similar for the 15k LP level so we could upgrade the paint thinner liquors to something more palatable.
It's remarkable as this might be the first time they didn't enhance something and make things worse.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
These changes are overall negative at the top I think.

One real plus is upgrades on partners if actually possible, but I also see one big negative: Getting miles for buying upgrades means more people will buy those app offers they aggressively push, which translates to less F space going to comp upgrades.

Maybe this won’t matter as much as I think, but it certainly further encourages Golds/Plats to buy up.

The ability to redeem SWUs electronically is nice but fixing IT isn’t an AA program enhancement Lol

I think the AA program best value today really is at the Platinum level for MCE + buying up App offers when F is desired.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Yes, very good. Still my favorite program. For both AA & UA it was "message received" after the Delta fiasco.
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Certainly better than the Delta self-inflicted shotgun blast to the foot.
Ab-so-lute-ly!
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PowerLu
The ability to redeem SWUs electronically is nice but fixing IT isn’t an AA program enhancement Lol
I wonder how they plan to implement this. Perhaps a link at booking to "redeem" or "apply SWU now" to immediately clear?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nk15
The main positive minor thing is the 1k LPs crumbs thrown at us at the 15k level.
Any positive is a positive when it comes to airlines. I'll gladly take the freebie, better than the other 15k benefits that we can't make use of with status.
renila, notquiteaff and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...-changes-2024/

Just announced! Generally mostly positive, in my view.

Here's the summary:
- same elite qualifying thresholds for 2024-2025
- can use some LP rewards to obtain additional LPs toward (re)qualification
- can earn additional LPs and miles when you accept buy-up offers in the app or online
- CK/EP/PPro can redeem miles to use Flagship First Dining
- AA miles can be used to upgrade on select partners...TBA
- trip credits extended to 18 months validity
- Basic Econ tickets can be voluntarily canceled for a $99 fee against the ticket value
- members of any status can buy AC day passes and FL single-use passes
- free same-day standby for members of all levels

My question here is whether the additional LP's you can get at certain LP thresholds would also count towards the 12 month rolling LP total that leads to your place in line on the upgrade list. You said "toward (re)qualification" which implies only towards status. I would think that based upon the ability to get 15,000 LP at the 250k level as an option (once you're well into EXP territory) would imply that it is not only towards status (re)qualification, but also towards the 12 month rolling LP... unless it is meant to be used by people who might hit 385,000 LP but not quite that 400,000 LP level (or <15k shy of any award level) and want to get there for the rewards.

It may only be a small thing, but I guarantee there are a number of folks out there who make the LP thresholds to get LP rewards who never go into the app to actually select a reward. 1000 LP more for me and not them means there's a real if only slight chance I would jump them in the line for an upgrade on a given flight.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by nk15
The main positive minor thing is the 1k LPs crumbs thrown at us at the 15k level.
Well, thats better than four seat coupons which are completely worthless for anyone with status.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
I am not a big fan of AA and I have no status currently, although I will have gold status in 2025 after two trips, but I must say its FF program is pretty easy to understand.

I had no idea you could purchase access to AC and FL. A business trip to the west coast in February will have me with a 3 hour connex in Phoenix. I shall avail myself of this option... as long as it does not cost an arm and a leg.

Well done AA for making your FFP so easily understandable.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Rossodio
My question here is whether the additional LP's you can get at certain LP thresholds would also count towards the 12 month rolling LP total that leads to your place in line on the upgrade list.
A Loyalty Point is a Loyalty Point, they all count equally towards your status qualification and rolling 12 month total and anything else. Doesn't matter whether that LP is gained via flying or credit card spend or shopping or an AA reward choice, they all count the same.
dw, notquiteaff, CMTinPHL and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
First, any time "enhancements" are announced and it isn't a BOHICA moment, I count it as a win. Second, good to see we earn LPs on buy-ups. Not getting LPs on the buy-ups always struck me as chicken#$%& cheapness and glad to see AA giving us a win.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Being able to use a SWU without calling in is something they should have implemented like 5 years ago; it's the #1 reason I call AA. I wonder if this will be accompanied with making your SWU balance more reliable, rather than sometimes being a few days out of date. Part of me wonders if this will make upgrades harder if SWUs are easier to apply, but I doubt a phone call was too big a barrier for someone wanting to upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Wow, DL & UA Elites can get Comped 4 months of Executive Platinum. Very smart move AA!
Great news I can buy into Day Passes at MIA, for First Dining: $150pp not bad!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:16 am

[ibhole]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 6, 2024 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.