Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by 1kprem
I would be curious to see what the NDC AA API screen looks like to see if it is better than aa.com's.
This is really dependent on the vendor accessing the API. Sabre will present it differently than other GDSs, or third-party tools enabling access to NDC. The quality of data (i.e., prices, connecting options, etc) and the actual presentation are separate challenges, as I understand it.

Also, I assume the NDC process is still producing a PNR locator which, at the end of the day, is still ultimately housed in the old eidifact form in SABRE (if I am not mistaken).
The tutorials I've seen (I haven't actually been granted access to NDC yet) suggests that a Sabre PNR will be created so an itinerary with hotel, car, service fees can be booked/invoiced.

Now, I know this last piece is going off topic, but one last curious thing on my mind is if airlines are still publishing "branded" fares or fare families through ATPCO.
Yes, branded fares are still very much a thing, including with AA. I think NDC fares will still be filed in the GDS as well, even though they have to be ticketed through NDC channels.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:41 am

Programs: Mileageplus
This article, which also references AA and NDC, is interesting from the standpoint of the GDS world (Travelport, in this case). The eagerness for change is obvious with the person being interviewed, but as IATA intended NDC enhance the ability of airlines to sell their ancillaries more readily and improve the "shopping experience" with rich content between with agents and their clients, it is clear there is one thing that will take a long time to establish: industry standards, especially among the airlines. As the article states, if each airline has its own standard on how it wants NDC to work for it, you can't expect to have multiple standards and have NDC work as it was intended with the agency community.https://www.phocuswire.com/travelpor...kershaw-on-ndc
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:33 pm

Programs: GE/Nexus/APEC; EVA/SWA; Hilton; Avis
Lots of good info in the discussions above. We are still in a wait and see with opting into the NDC, but unfortunately it didn't take long for our Global CEO to find some domestic first-class fares that are now NDC-only (happened to be just after AA booted him from 4yrs of CK status). That started a discussion with our TMC on what opting-in actually means. For us given the current state of integration (or lack of), it would add a steep fee structure (on top of our regular booking fee) for each AA booking with an agent (BCD/Sabre) and even higher for each Concur booking (Travelfusion). Not worth it, especially given limitations that exist in the current iteration.
NYC Flyer likes this.

Last edited by BrotherBluto; Apr 21, 2023 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by izzik
So, I had to book a discounted domestic coach fare yesterday and it was $50 higher in the corporate portal vs aa.com.
Same flights, same dates. Slightly different booking classes but unsure why I could only get a G/S fare in the portal.. but aa.com was willing to sell me a G/Q fare.
Completely unrelated?
I've noticed this for both work travel (Egenica/Expedia Group) as well as Personal Travel via Amex Travel - it will only price "G" fare bucket fares. While I can find one leg with "O" fare bucket if I'm on Google Flights or AA dot com.

Not great as I have a credit to use up on Amex. Guess I'll do 2 one-ways and book one amex and one direct. But that will leave me with more credit to use up!
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:12 am
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by BrotherBluto
For us given the current state of integration (or lack of), it would add a steep fee structure (on top of our regular booking fee) for each AA booking with an agent (BCD/Sabre) and even higher for each Concur booking (Travelfusion). Not worth it, especially given limitations that exist in the current iteration.
I imagine that is the true root cause for AA's push. It isn't necessarily about content (yet). It's about pushing the distribution costs on to customers.
Would love an agent's perspective on how much extra time it takes to use TF Desktop or the other interface (Spark?)
Something tells me it doesn't take any extra time at all and the additional fee is really a penalty imposed by the TMC to make up for lost GDS revenue.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by TBD
Would love an agent's perspective on how much extra time it takes to use TF Desktop or the other interface (Spark?) Something tells me it doesn't take any extra time at all and the additional fee is really a penalty imposed by the TMC to make up for lost GDS revenue.
I'd think these tools still necessitate new investment in cost, implementation and training for many TMCs, and especially for agents used to faster command-line entries, NDC bookings will reduce productivity. The "penalty" then is for increased time and cost that the TMC does not incur for carriers marketing their entire fare offering through the GDS. GDSs and any additional software/tools utilized are all agency costs, so it's unclear what's meant by "lost GDS revenue".
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I received this email from Concur.

fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAway
I received this email from Concur.

My company has been on this to access corporate fares for AA/DL/UA (possibly even BA/LH) directly from airline website pre-COVID. Booked trips are fed back to Concur.
AAway likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
My company has been on this to access corporate fares for AA/DL/UA (possibly even BA/LH) directly from airline website pre-COVID. Booked trips are fed back to Concur.
Do you have to comparison shop and/or otherwise certify that the fare purchased meets travel policy, or are you free to book preferred carrier/routing, as long as it's a negotiated fare? I'd think "lowest logical airfare" policies are the biggest impediment to direct bookings and am curious how that is addressed.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Do you have to comparison shop and/or otherwise certify that the fare purchased meets travel policy, or are you free to book preferred carrier/routing, as long as it's a negotiated fare? I'd think "lowest logical airfare" policies are the biggest impediment to direct bookings and am curious how that is addressed.
That's the gap I see from a travel management perspective (enforcing lowest available) which wouldn't work if searching/booking direct on airline site.
AAway likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:24 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I'd think these tools still necessitate new investment in cost, implementation and training for many TMCs, and especially for agents used to faster command-line entries, NDC bookings will reduce productivity. The "penalty" then is for increased time and cost that the TMC does not incur for carriers marketing their entire fare offering through the GDS. GDSs and any additional software/tools utilized are all agency costs, so it's unclear what's meant by "lost GDS revenue".
I was referring to GDS commissions back to the agency. My question on the time for an agent to process an NDC booking vs legacy GDS is directly related to whether there really is a productivity gap. I'm guessing the time for a trained agent to book NDC will be equivalent.
Training is a one-time cost. Undesirable, but negligible.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
The irony in all of this is Sabre, which was originally AA’s homegrown system, and probably the predominant GDS used in the US (I have no data on this, just an educated guess), is the most behind in even supporting NDC at all, and what they are offering is still a pretty bad experience.

Amadeus on the other hand provides a much more integrated experience between NDC and EDIFACT content (not yet perfect, but much better than Sabre from what I’ve seen), and AA was one of their launch customers in the US market for NDC. I’m sure they are using this opportunity to increase their presence in the US. Maybe if AA gets annoyed enough with Sabre they will switch their PSS to Amadeus too.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
So who do we write to? AA? AmexGBT?
Old Apr 24, 2023, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Secretary Pete?
ehallison likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by D582
Maybe if AA gets annoyed enough with Sabre they will switch their PSS to Amadeus too.
AA already is using Amadeus in other countries. Make a booking on the AU site and things like fare rules are very easy to read and understand too
deeruck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.